Request to fiat ducato owners (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Right, this should be 'Der letzte Suche!'

The sender unit for coolant temperature is indeed the one pictured (yesterday) with it's cable missing. The cable comes complete with the sender unit, and plugs into the loom at the top left of the rear engine bulkhead. It is a WHITE cable, with a GREEN sheathing. f1.jpg f2.jpg

The first piccy is taken from overhead, and shows the top end of the sender unit, with a green sheathed cable running to it. Piccy 2 shows the WHITE inner cable connecting to the loom by a single plug. And so, you require a sender unit with a fixed cable to it's top, (not a spade connector), but, if you cant now get such a unit, providing the threads and sender range are compatible, you could use a spade ended sender, and make up your own cable. :D:D

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Tootles thanks for the pics , I have two one above the other , the top one is the one in my photo with no wire connected , then underneath I have another with a green coated white wire connected buddy

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have only the one, however, the manual does show two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Hmm , interesting I have found a green wire loose wonder if that's off the top one that's missing a wire and connection , and although the bottom ones connected that's the sender to gauge and it's faulty , I get no reading if I touch any wire to chassis on my temp gauge tho

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
At least ime now in right place how the heck ime getting out in their to remove them tho is beyond me
Note the one underneath the one with no wire , it has red cover

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Try this. Disconnect the WHITE wire on the bulkhead, (as per my piccy), and put a length of cable into the loom end of it. Now earth that cable out. Does your gauge shoot up???

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Whoop whoop yes it does buddy , tho I also need to get it out and can't see how a socket or spanner will fit in gap , and I need to work out what the top one is if the bottom is the sender to gauge , thanks again for your help buzzing to be getting somewhere now

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
HANG ON!!!! Are you sure that the white wire you disconnected from the bulkhead IS NOT THE BROKEN TOP ONE??? It is on mine!!!!!!!!!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think you just need to change the top one. A ring spanner will fit, maybe one of those ratchet types would be easier.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think the bottom one may be a low water indicator for the system.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Hmm well I took the cable out (green coated white wire) which was connected to bottom sender , earthed it like you said and gauge shot up , wonder if someone had swapped them into wrong points then ? Someone else mentioned sender to bring fans on is near the temp sender tootles , but normally has two wires connected to it , I thought that one was by radiator tho?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No. Its under your spare wheel, half way down the radiator, and has three wires, red, black and white. The white'black brings in your (looking from the front) left hand fan, whilst the red/black does the right.

OK, trace the other wire from the bottom sender to the bulkhead, Disconnect, and do the wire trick again with that one. It should bring an 'low water' indicator light on on your dash.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was your original problem the gauge not working??? It could just be a dirty 'bullet'. Remove the white one again from the bulkhead, clean with a bit of emery paper, spray a touch of WD into the socket hole, re-connect, and start up. You should see the gauge start to respond. To be honest, the gauge is pretty 100% reliable, that dont often go kaput. Senders can go, but its a pretty rare thing.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
The wire from bottom sender was the green coated white tootles I disconnected that and did the ground trick the gauge went up the top one has no wire but theirs a broken green wire floating round that goes into a similar connector by the loom end , if I ground this wire no lights come on and gauge Dosnt move buddy

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Tried the cleaning thing tootles after I did your trick with the grounding out of the wire to shoot gauge up buddy ,

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Tootles in the first photo you posted showing the sender end theirs also a green cable next to the fatter green cable / white wire , where does that green cable go (near sender end )buddy

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
NO IDEA!!! I'm not there now.
Right, start your engine. Let it get warm. Check your gauge, you may just have been suffering from a dirty connection. Forget the top one for now, until I can find more out about it. I think its referred to as 'switch', whilst the other one is 'sender'.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just phoned my mate up, he's at the storage working on his caravan, and has my spare key. (Much huffing and puffing LOL). Anyway, the TOP sender, (your broken one), is DEFIANTLY the thinner wire, and goes to the WHITE connector on the bulkhead. The thicker green cable goes to the GREEN connector on the bulkhead....
so...

Yours are the wrong way round! The broken one is the temp sender, the unbroken is a 'switch'. This bears out with the Fiat Schematic parts drawing. Top to WHITE, thicker bottom to GREEN.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
This eBay item looks like the top one where the wire is broke off tootles (temp switch) eBay item 141139432730

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Forget the bottom one. Its a stupid FIAT switch for whatever. Get a new sender, the top one should come out OK. Make sure that your new one goes to the white connector on the bulkhead.

That's the baby!! Putting it back in is going to be tough, as you will have to turn the cable as you screw it in, or it will snap off!,

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
So you think its just the wires that are wrong way round or someone has mixed up the top and bottom sender / switch lol

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Probably what's happened is that it stopped working at some point, so someone tried swapping over, hoping that the bottom switch did the same as the top sensor, which we have proved tonight dosent work.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Here's another pick of my loom wiring side , the green coated white wire is the one with red connector , and goes to the bottom sender ( when I undid the bull it and earthed the loom side out the gauge went up ) now the other green wire was broke off the top sender this too is a green cover sleeve the actual wire is green with black lines , this goes to the black connector in photo ?

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Ok tootles thanks for going to all that trouble ringing ya mate up etc and going down to take photos

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
The top one is labeled as a switch in listings in eBay tho and the ones that say sender look more like the bottom one , hope no ones swapped actual unit over lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back