Republic of Ireland (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We want to land at Belfast in June (coming down from Inverness) and travel to west coast and down to Cork to stay for couple of days, then back up east coast to Belfast.

Is this doable in 2 weeks ? don't expect to rush but not sure how long to book the ferry for ?

joeo's

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
It's doable but covers a lot of distance and you will probably find you are moving and travelling much more than you would like, to get it in two weeks.
The West Coast (WWW, the Wild Atlantic Way) is two weeks minimum if you wish to visit most of the best locations.
If Cork is your main focus, (West Cork and Kerry are brilliant), you could consider heading straight down -M1, M50, M7 and taking the West Coast (WWW) back upwards. You are still heading (roughly) in the direction of the ferry home and you could cut across to the port at any time, if time is getting short.
The route could also be planned according to the things that you wish to see, i.e scenery (west,) historic sites (more castles etc on eastern half), the Shannon waterway etc. etc.

Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Thanks Joe
We've decided to stretch our stay as we're due back in Glasgow to see Roger Waters on29th, so well have 8th till 26th.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We went for a month in June 2015 had fantastic weather, we did the Pembroke to Rosslare crossing and came back Dublin to Holyhead.
We did the whole of the Wild Atlantic Way 2500 miles free camped the whole time lots of toilets and water but a bit challenging disposing of rubbish. :LOL:
We absolutely loved it, the Irish are so friendly and will definitely be returning.(y)

And one of the only times when we have not ;) I will call it a discussion :boxing: about what route we are taking because once on the route you just follow the signs. :LOL: Bob.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Our experience was that without rushing you probably need a week to do the west coast. There are lots of places to stay, including some ueful Britstops. If you ask nicely they will let you stay in the car park at the Cliffs of Moher. Ditto the car park at Ross Castle but suggest you don't stay on your own.

Galway is almost impossible with a MH. They really don't want you even to stop to ask where to park! Their loss.

Parking is free at Cobh. Right on the edge of the water by the cruise ship terminal. 30 or so spaces. If you want to do Cork, suggest you park there and go in on the train. Station is about 100 yards. Fare was about €8 return and takes half the time that driving round does.

Coming up the East Coasst you can park free just north of Dublin on the pier behind the yacht club at Howth.

Most of all... enjoy it. A lovely island and generally lovely people.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Thanks for the advice, will be very helpful, Ballineen Nr Cork is not a problem my brother has a place you can park up a Mh or caravan.

joeo's

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
I forgot to suggest this app.

http://motorhomeparkingireland.com

It has many free parking spots and POIs in all parts of Ireland and allows you to use Google maps to get you to any of these places from your current location.
Very easy to use and well worth the €5.
Like all "wild" camping trips, disposal of waste is sometimes difficult but doable. Many public toilets allow disposal, if you use GREEN toilet fluid.

Don't hesitate to give a shout if you need help/advice before your trip or while you are here or if you experience any mechanical difficulties.
Many MH owners would be delighted to assist.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Sorry to re start this thread but...
A few things you may find useful; gas connections in RoI is different to GB and lpg is not widely available here. Plenty of wild/free camping options they do vary county to county, check the app Jo recommended.
Time stands still in Ireland, haste and hurrying is a crime. Rubbish disposal is an issue as there is no council tax which includes rubbish removal.
Sites vary considerably in price and quality. But it’s a great island to explore.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Sorry to re start this thread but...
A few things you may find useful; gas connections in RoI is different to GB and lpg is not widely available here. Plenty of wild/free camping options they do vary county to county, check the app Jo recommended.
Time stands still in Ireland, haste and hurrying is a crime. Rubbish disposal is an issue as there is no council tax which includes rubbish removal.
Sites vary considerably in price and quality. But it’s a great island to explore.

We have 3 extra lpg fittings for europe, do you think one of those will fit ?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

It has many free parking spots and POIs in all parts of Ireland and allows you to use Google maps to get you to any of these places from your current location.
Like all "wild" camping trips, disposal of waste is sometimes difficult but doable. Many public toilets allow disposal, if you use GREEN toilet fluid.

Don't hesitate to give a shout if you need help/advice before your trip or while you are here or if you experience any mechanical difficulties.
Hi.
On the site at Knock shrine some years back with a caravan,there was a Rally of Irish mo/homers,having a bit of a Dance/Do in a hall. I was walking around with the dog,struck up a conversation with one of them,and was invited to come across and join in,when i said i had a c/van,he said.."So? Come across" Magic!
Tea Bag

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Republic of Ireland uses the ACME connector, as used in the USA and a few other places (we filled our US motorhome without needing an adapter).

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Great thanks I subscribed to the app (y)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Thanks for the advice, will be very helpful, Ballineen Nr Cork is not a problem my brother has a place you can park up a Mh or caravan.
Ireland is brilliant..but do not cross over Magillicuddys Reeks in a motorhome..terrifying in a car especially if the mist comes down

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back