Replacing tyres, by law, at 10 yrs old (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The main point of the post re the wheel coming off clearly relates to poor Trailer maintenace. Very few trailer owners actually check and adjust their brakes ragularly and even fewer strip the hubs down to check braks shoe ware and re pack the bearings with grease. I have a 3.5tone car trailer on Indespension units. The brake adjustment is checked every month and the hubs stripped annually . I would add that it doesent cover more that 15k annually. Trailer tyres doe go out off shape usually caused by turning with 4 wheel trailers .. Lack of use and sunlight is the main enemy for early failiure of tyres.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Mmmm, 24 years old and still like new😁😁think they are ok for a bit longer😁😁
8230E587-34E1-4302-A9AD-FB5D0A424E7E.jpeg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The rule applies ONLY to front axle STEERING wheels.
All other tyres are exempt.

All motorhomes, regardless of weight, are class 4 MOT so the law doesn't apply.

And the rules apply since 2021.

It's all on the GOV website if you can be bothered to look

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

However ......

If you are involved in an accident where the cause is a old tyre blowout that results in a death.
You will be serving time measured in years.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
However ......

If you are involved in an accident where the cause is a old tyre blowout that results in a death.
You will be serving time measured in years.
That simply isn't correct. There should be a 'may' in there somewhere at the very least (and it still wouldn't be a 100% 'you're off to prison' as you seem to suggest).
If it is not a legal requirement to change tyres after a certain period of time, the powers that be cannot lay blame on the driver for a blowout unless there is something in addition...such as perhaps a previous MOT advisory that the driver has failed to act upon.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
As above.

No 'LAW' actually broken.
However a blowout on a motorway that causes a death you would expect to serve several years courtesy of his Majesty.
As you can see I am in agreement about not using old tyres but have never heard of a prosecution for "older than XX tyres". ??

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Can anyone tell me when a driver was prosecuted for an accident caused by any mechanical or tyre issue?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A wheel falling of a trailer, more than quality of the tyre's might imply that mot's might be needed for trailers and caravans which would include tyre's and brakes.
Which the 🇬🇧 absolutely refused to implement when in the EU
Same here and insurance would just laugh at a claim where the tyre condition may have been a contributing factor (eg braking distance or blow out).
&in Spain
Agreed, below are a couple of screen shots from DVSA Q&A page,

View attachment 906912
View attachment 906913

I will just add that I wouldn't dream of running tyres anything like 10 years old on our van.
I wouldn't run them on anything.
Yes, it's odd that in the UK there is no MoT for trailers/caravans.
As above,they didn't want any.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Can anyone tell me when a driver was prosecuted for an accident caused by any mechanical or tyre issue?
See post #2

The police specifically looked at the age of each tyre.
As they were all under 10 years old they decided not to prosecute, but had they been over 10 years, they would have, even though the vehicle is exempt.

Hence the reason the entire issue has had to be brought up in various national committees and guidance issued, in writing.
So that the exempt vehicles (trailers and charity minibuses) are in the process of being told, in writing, that tyres MUST be under 10 years old.
Motorhomes have a loophole, at the moment, but a loophole does not stop you being prosecuted.

The issue is post #27

Basically if you are in charge of a vehicle that is knowly liable to be defective, then they can, and the do, prosecute.
Driving a 4 tonne, 8 meter long vehicle at 60mph on 10 year old tyres, which then causes a death would be classed as driving a vehicle known to be potentially defective.

Same as driving a vehicle that passed it MoT yesterday, where something has obviously changed since the certificate was issued, such as the brakes or all the lights failing.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
See post #2

As they were all under 10 years old they decided not to prosecute, but had they been over 10 years, they would have, even though the vehicle is exempt.

The issue is post #27

Basically if you are in charge of a vehicle that is knowly liable to be defective, then they can, and the do, prosecute.
Driving a 4 tonne, 8 meter long vehicle at 60mph on 10 year old tyres, which then causes a death would be classed as driving a vehicle known to be potentially defective.

Same as driving a vehicle that passed it MoT yesterday, where something has obviously changed since the certificate was issued, such as the brakes or all the lights failing.
On what grounds would a prosecution take place……age alone, for a vehicle not subject to legislation….?

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
On what grounds would a prosecution take place……age alone, for a vehicle not subject to legislation….?
Correct:
Driving a vehicle in a potentially dangerous condition.

Hence the warning to every charity in the UK that owns a minibus to do something about it before there is a fatality.

Unfortunately we all know what is going to happen.
At some point next year there will, be a fatality cause by an old tyre on a minibus.
The driver will have the book thrown at them, and there will be a lot of publicity.
This will then 'persuade' the other charities to take notice.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
See post #2

The issue is post #27

i did ask for evidence of a prosecution

:giggle:

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Correct:

Hence the warning to every charity in the UK that owns a minibus to do something about it before there is a fatality.
I didn't know that was an offence. Driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition is an offence.
I have no doubt that a lack of maintenance or poor tyres will lead to a fatality at some point but simply because a tyre is 10 yrs and 1 week old does not make it 'potentially dangerous' and if it is not illegal per se, it would be down to the overall scenario rather than a police Officers trying to be specific about the tyre(s)

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
A bonafide link ?
I'm really going to struggle to find a link to show that any mechanical fault leading to a fatal collision hasn't meant a lengthy prison term for someone...it is generally not that newsworthy.
I can show you the CPS charging guidelines for Death by Careless/Dangerous driving. It includes the word 'knowing'. Having a simple blowout wouldn't fit. Having a blowout on a tyre that is proven to be under 1.6mm of tread or one that wasn't changed after an MOT advisory could be. Likewise, a brake failure without warning as opposed to the MOT advisory of pad wear etc...

The following may, depending on the facts and circumstances of each individual case, and recognising the potential for overlap in some with careless driving, amount to dangerous driving:
  • driving a vehicle knowing it has a dangerous defect or is poorly maintained or is dangerously loaded

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
i did ask for evidence of a prosecution

:giggle:
The operators of this vehicle were prosecuted.
The company was very heavily fined and forced into bankruptcy

They would have charged the driver, however he was killed.

This was one (of several) of the cases that the police have mentioned re the M1 incident. (Post #2)

What they are essentially saying is you have until your next MoT to get your house in order, after that the gloves are off and they will be clamping down on vehicles that currently slip through the loophole (Charity and School minibuses, Motorhomes and the suchlike).

Bottom line, is if your motorhome or trailer/caravan has 9+ year old tyres.
Change them soon. (Including the spares)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There is a lot of stretch going on in statements made in this thread , 10year old tyres on other than certain specified vehicles on certain axles are not unlawful (even if not best practice) , therefore trying to say that a prosecution could take place purely based on age for other vehicles is inherently misleading .

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
There has recently been a lot of conflicting information over the issue of safety inspections for commercial vans, specifically charity/church/youth group/school owned minibuses, but it also affects motorhomes.

The scuttlebut is that it is a legal requirement to have safety inspections done at regular interval, every 10 weeks, irrespective of the mileage done during these periods.

Motorhomes (and charity etc. minibuses) are classed as privately owned, not commercial users.
Therefore beyond an annual MOT for vehicles older than 3 years and manufacturer’s servicing requirements, there is nothing in law for further inspections.
The requirements are currently the same as for a car.

If running a public service vehicle for payment, or if a truck or van operator; inspections are required by law every 10 weeks and inspection records are to be kept for 15 months.

However what this discussion has bought to light is the rules governing tyres, not only on the Charity etc owned minibus abut also on the motorhome and more importantly any trailer.

Tyres need to be date stamped within less than 10 years (this should be picked up on your annual MOT), this also applies to trailer tyres which also need to be date stamped to less than 10 years old.

The penalty for driving with out-of-date tyres is three points on your licence PER TYRE!

This could mean a tag axle motorhome towing a double wheel trailer (10 tyres in total) could in theory incur a 30 point penalty on your licence.
I'm not sure what that would do for you insurance the following year, assuming you were still on the road.
The 10yr law, without an accident, only applies to Commercial vehicles, not Private.

BUT, you are always responsible for the roadworthiness of your vehicle and this includes tyres!

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I bought six brand new tyres from my garage and the date on the tyre was not the year of when I bought them. When I queried this, I was told that Michelin don’t make camper:CP tyres all of the time. They do a demand run on tyre types. So a garage that buys in in bulk or orders from Michelins warehouse can fit a tyre that is date stamped as being old before it turns a wheel on your motorhome.
The links quoted are based on commercial being vans, trucks and minibus not private motorhomes. Otherwise it would say motorhomes.
hence why an MOT tester will inspect the tyre for degrade and not date on your privately owned motorhome.
If you feel that your tyre needs changing then it needs changing.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Just to put my tyre post into context ………. He is proper pretty !
Lovely, they sell some incredibly low mileage cars, many from private collections that just don't get driven. If you're going to drive that (if you buy it)....the first thing to do...is swap the tyres, as you've already said. (y)

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Correct:

Unfortunately we all know what is going to happen.
At some point next year there will, be a fatality cause by an old tyre on a minibus.
The driver will have the book thrown at them, and there will be a lot of publicity.
This will then 'persuade' the other charities to take notice.
What other laws are going to change….people being charged with committing a potential theft, potentially assaulting somebody. Sorry but old tyres are not an offence in themselves for a private car or motorhome. To say otherwise is misleading.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
What other laws are going to change….people being charged with committing a potential theft, potentially assaulting somebody. Sorry but old tyres are not an offence in themselves for a private car or motorhome. To say otherwise is misleading.
I believe that the overall intention of the thread is good...check those tyres (and as most other tyre threads seems to hint at 99% of members on here changing tyres well before 10 yrs, it is not a huge issue) but the issue I have had has been the blanket incorrect statements that the pedant in me has to call out. The above is just one of those. To my knowledge, there is no such offence as Driving a vehicle in a potentially dangerous condition. This sounds a bit like the discussion a few months ago about getting reported for being overweight at 3499kg...as you have 2 spare seats and may pick up a hitchhiker....

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

While that Front Steering wheel rule may apply (still not sure of that on vehicles that need an Operators Licence?)
I'm not sure I could have persuaded my Chief Engineer, (responsible for my Coaches & Buses before I retired 11yrs ago), to sign off (as both he and I had to) the routine Safety Check documents.
I'm SURE he would have, quite rightly insisted on ALL tyres.

By the way, initially, when I first got my Operator Licence, these routine Safety Inspections on all my PSV's, was every 6 weeks not the 10 Brains posted earlier.

(While the Coaches stayed at 6wks, I persuaded the Ministry to allow 8weeks on the dedicated School Double Deckers because of the low mileage covered.)

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Lovely, they sell some incredibly low mileage cars, many from private collections that just don't get driven. If you're going to drive that (if you buy it)....the first thing to do...is swap the tyres, as you've already said. (y)
Bought it today . Picking up on trailer a week today , straight in for tyre change and exhaustive service . Front clam repaint booked in for end of June , and then ……… I get to drive the bloody thing ! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back