Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I want to change my large TVs for some lighter flat screen models. What is the best way of doing this? How have you done it?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim this may help
SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES
LOTS OF TVS WORK OFF 12V---ASDA, TESCO, COMET, CURRYS ETC.
MAKE SURE IT SAYS 12V ON THE BACK
MAKE SURE IT HAS A PLUG TYPE AS IN PICTURE not four pin etc,

THESE PLUGS ARE READYLY AVILABABLE OFF GAMES CONSOLES ETC,
YOU CAN USE YOUR 240 LEAD ON HOOKUP OR MAKE UP A LEAD FOR 12V VIA CIG LIGHTER OR CROC CLIPS (PORTECT WITH IN LINE FUSE)
OR WIRE TO YOUR ARIEL PLUG

IDENTIFY POSS AND NEG THEN MAKE UP YOUR LEAD
IF YOU WANT TO YOU CAN PROTECT WITH A VOLTAGE STABILIZER
OR AS IN MY CASE JUST WIRED DIRECT TO ARIEL PLUG.
IF USING VOLTAGE STABILISER YOU MAY FIND THAT IF VOLTAGE DROPS TO 11.5V IT WILL NOT WORK, BUT IF NONE USED YOUR TV MAY WORK AS LOW AS 10.5 V (LONGER)
AS VOLTAGE DROPS THE PICTURE WILL GO OFF BUT STILL HAVE SOUND, SO PLENTY OF WARNING TO CHARGE YOUR BATTERY BEFORE ANY DAMAGE OCURS.

Attachments

• hh60q.jpg
    hh60q.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 242

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim how do I get email to replys?
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Hi Jim

All depends on how your present Tv's are fitted i guess. Our old CRT TV was moumted in a cabinet in the top front right hand corner of the rv, we just removed the cabinet and fitted an LCD TV on an adjustable wall bracket with mountings (the type that splay out at the back when you tighten them) designed for plasterboard walls. We have covered many thousands of miles since doing it and it has not been a problem does not move unless you move it and the vibration when mobile has not thrown up any problems.

Keith

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Mine is centre mounted in a large frame, undo the four screws holding a wooden facie in place and the TV just fall out!

I was thinking I could put a blanking plate over the hole and then put a flat screen mount on it, just like you would if you mounted it on a wall at home.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Probably the best way Jim......finding a flat screen to fit neatly into the hole is a nightmare :roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim that sounds a good way -if you cannot find a close mtch to your boards then go for a contrast / so it looks like it was ment to be /not botched
terry

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
We ripped out the TV, added a shelf and a hinged door, and use the space as a huge cupboard for maps, books, etc.

We didn't want to get sore necks looking up at the TV, and you can't use the best seats in the house (driver's & passenger's) to watch TV from. You can then put a flat screen wherever you like. It will go against the bathroom wall when our slideout is out, or on the dining table with the slide in.

But since we also didn't want the barrel chair using up space, we skipped it. I've made a wooden TV stand to go where the barrel chair was. This stand doubles as a wine rack & shoe storage - can't afford single purpose items in a motorhome!

So now we can watch comfortably from the settee or the driver's seat (as well as the dining area).

Works for us, but we are only two, of course (the dog only likes watching animal programmes).

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Your right Bruce, the two best seats in the house are the two worst when it comes to the TV. Too close and too high. Maybe we need a re think:Cool:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Mine doubles up as a sat nav:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:its at present telling me bumpy road ahead:roflmto::roflmto:

Link Removed

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
TV

Hi Jim

When I picked up my Monaco from Liverpool docks the first thing I did was hit my head on the cabinet housing the TV over the driver!:cry:

So as I had to repace the TV anyway I removed the afore mentioned cabinet and cut it down to match the rest of the front cabinets albeit slightly deeper. I then bought a 26" Bush flatscreen TV and mounted it slightly leaning forward in the centre using a home made mount fabricated from flat steel sheet just folded and drilled. So no more banging my head and quite a neat job for an amature!:Smile:

Also I had to leave a 10cm gap above the TV as recomended as they do produce a fair amount of heat!

Here are some pics.

Regards Pat

Attachments

• 000_0349.jpg
    000_0349.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_0314.jpg
    100_0314.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_0336.jpg
    100_0336.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_0352.jpg
    100_0352.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_0339.jpg
    100_0339.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim I looked into this a while ago, all the LCD's seem to be wide screen so fitting one where the existing telly is would stop the cabinet doors either side opening, next idea was to hinge it from the ceiling, but the doors would still hit it as most are about 4" deep at least.

I think the best Idea is a ceiling mounted projector with a roll up screen mounted at the front, I think thats what duncan's got, and we may look into that this year.

Olley

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Jim
I ripped out the 300lb CRT TV from the front top cabinet and replaced it with a 21 inch LCD. I just removed the bezel (4 screws) and fitted a wooden bridging piece across the hole and screwed an LCD wall mount to the timber. This leaves a gap that we use to fit the freeview box out of the way. I then fixed the other half of the mount to the back of the TV and fitted them together, screwing them together with the lock screws of course. We had this arrangement in Rocky and travelled miles with it and no problems. If you get all the bits and pieces and some hard wood I will fit your LCD for you at Newark mate, will only cost you a cuppa :ROFLMAO:

Keith

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
I have a similar set-up to Road Runner's. I spent ages looking for a 21" TV that would fit into the consul space and in July 2007 found a flat screen crt with inbuilt DVD that fitted the dimensions for £99. So I bought it at ASDA.

The problem is that it hasn't got the audio facility to accept sound here in Spain. It has to be dual something or other. So if anyone wants to buy it for half price when I get back to the UK in April..........................hardly used!

Ian

Not all bargains do the job:cry::Blush:

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
The problem is that it hasn't got the audio facility to accept sound here in Spain. It has to be dual something or other. So if anyone wants to buy it for half price when I get back to the UK in April..........................hardly used!

Ian

I could well have a use for such a TV Ian and will be happy to releive you of it mate :roflmto::roflmto:
Do you deliver? :ROFLMAO:

Keith

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I was so smart when I bought our Monaco. I did a deal and got £250 knocked off and I'd source the UK spec TV's myself. I wondered why they nearly took my arm off but that was before I found out that american TVs seem to be a unique size! It took 9 months before I found a 23" flatscreen that fitted over the hole. I've mounted the TV on a pivot arm and I'm planning on using the free space for the new RV-PC.
Incidentally we decided to use an analogue tv and use the coax distribution system already in the van. We moved our Oyster twin from our last RV so we can have Sky to both TVs.

Pat,
I'm really impressed with the quality of the modifications you've made. Did you do it yourself?

Regards
Doug 'n Bar

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I have a similar set-up to Road Runner's. I spent ages looking for a 21" TV that would fit into the consul space and in July 2007 found a flat screen crt with inbuilt DVD that fitted the dimensions for £99. So I bought it at ASDA.

Ian

:Cool: They have a different sound choke in the UK from the rest of Europe. :winky:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Doug'n Bar

Yes I did the work my self a mate has a woodwork shop he cut the cabinet down for me on a high speed saw so as not to splinter the edges. I measured the cabinet and was able to use the door from where the tv is now so didn't have to source fresh cherry wood:thumb:

I had to move the other door across towards the passenger door to accomodate the 26" lcd tv, I wanted to mount the tv up against the ceiling however on reading the tv instructions as they generate a fair bit of heat a10cm gap was recomended.I made a bracket to mout the tv on from a sheet of steel angled down screwed to the wood and was able to bolt the tv onto it reaching in through the cupboard

The hardest part of the job was removing the tv cabinet in the first place there are so many screws it is unbelievable then of course replacing it. I also replaced the rear tv with a flat screen by making up and hinging a door to the cupboard in which the tv sat and mounting the tv onto that with a store bought bracket and gained another cupboard!::bigsmile:

Here are some pics the first one is not my RV it's just to show how the original tv looked.

Regards Pat

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 000_0349.jpg
    000_0349.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0349.jpg
    100_0349.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0350.jpg
    100_0350.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 28
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
WOW so easy when you know how - thanks

Hi
New to the site yesterday and doing the lookaround bit getting used to the site and came across your tip. WOW.:Doh:

We have Coachmen Mirada 34ft and are full timers and have the above windscreen tele box. Great if you are led out on the settee so fight on for the good seat :ROFLMAO:(him indoors watches it more than me so I now sit at the dinette). Not a big deal as I am the fidget, always moving around.

We have been full timing now for 8 months so now more aware of what would be more comfy. Even to the point of changing RV (expensive). This would be solution - not DIY people though so would have to find someone to do it. Also looked at 5th wheel option at Malvern Show at the weekend as we tow a jeep on an A frame and the plan is to travel Europe for 6months (money allowing), A frame towing getting to be a huge problem over there. But thats for another day to thinks about.

Like most full timers - cost :cry: governs the direction we go.

Anyway tele move would mean we could both watch in comfort and get to relax together with glass in hand (or tinny in my case) and no cricked neck. Whoopee:Smile:

This site is great and will continue looking around - RV lifestyle is huge learning curve but so much fun. Like all beginners we had few 'interesting' first months but learnt so much and still so much to find out. All part of growing old disgracefully which is part of our dream. Kids still trying to figure out two 55 ish oldies roaming around enjoying themselves. Love it - must have been a gypsy in a previous life.

Thanks for tip
Cheers
Jaen
:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I want to change my large TVs for some lighter flat screen models. What is the best way of doing this? How have you done it?

Ive just bought a 20" Flat Screen TV/DVD with all of the AV equipment that Is about at the minute. It runs off 12V or 110 to 230V.

The existing telly is huge and located above the drivers cab bed. Perfect view for everyone.

I am going to take that out and fit the new one in the same place on a wall bracket so that it pulls out and swivels on an arm.

I need to see the wall mounting that comes with the telly before making a final decision. Dont want to go drilling holes through the side of the van.

First saw it on We Do Digital web site, Its a Meou (Portugese), my wife then found it a few pound cheaper as a one off on ebay. It arrives today.

Have a look on the we do digital web site. They have a lot of different makes and sizes etc

Cheers :thumb:

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
T-V Mount

Hi

Mine went "bang" so we got a FST from Tesco and I made a hinged bracket which allows it to hang UNDER the cabinets in the windscreen area. I put an old door, which was surplus when we took out the Yank Cooker and put the Full oven in. over the opening left by the old telly this now houses the Sky box/DVD and VCR I strap the TV up under the Console on the road with a Belt strap.. Best of both worlds now as we can both see the screen without Neck ache. AND it`s not in the way on the road.

pete

Could try and post pic`s if anyone is interested??

P

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Futher to my earlier post regards the front TV, the rear TV was very similarly positioned to this:

Link Removed

I removed the TV and made up a plywood door for the locker thus:

000_0675.jpg

Then fitted a lcd mount to this door and angled it down so as to be more easily seen from the bed, it ended up like this:

000_0677.jpg

Which had the bonus of freeing up the empty locker space where the old TV had been.

000_0672.jpg

Always bear in mind that LCD TVs and especially Plasmas generate a lot more heat than the old type and so need more ventilation.

Regards Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back