Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
Since 2004
We looked at an RV (2001) for sale last weekend at a dealers (the RV was "being sold on behalf of") and the carpets were terrible, the dealer did say he had had them cleaned but wasnt sure if they would come up any better with a second clean.

Has anyone had their carpets replaced, if so did you use a professional (RV or household) or did you do it your self. ?? costs and ease of replacement.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I think that Geo is best to answer this one as he has had the carpet replaced in his RV recently.... Our Rockwood had the carpets replaced just before we bought it and they were fitted by a carpet fitter, looking at the job I feel that most people would be able to do the simple, flat bits, but fitting around the engine cover and loo would require a lot more skill and precision....
HTH

Keith

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi John,Jim,Jack J???
To do RV carpets properly is extreamly wastefull on carpet as you can imagine, We used a domestic fitter with a lot of RV and Caravan experiance, he also had to do the engine cover, first class job he made too, cost was about £180 labour, sky's the limit for carpet prices we also had Rhino floor laid in the kitchen area instead of carpet
The reason I chose to have it profesionaly done was to hopefully save on carpet wastage, but that was not to be, unless your happy with joints then a full size carpet has to be used, even the pro was not happy to join it,
Geo
Forgot to add, underlay and gripper rod was used just as in a domestic envioroment you should be asking for about£500-£600 off the asking price to cover this in total

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
mandjhumph

mandjhumph

Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
Since 2004
Geo

Thanks for the info re pricing, did you have to remove the dinette / sofas etc or did he lay the carpet around them? If sofas etc don't have to be removed we could travel to a fitter, if things have to be removed that makes it a bit more difficult.

Regards

Martyn and Jane

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Martyn
Fitter gave me the choice I chose to leave the sofa in, the two front seats just lift out if the locking bolt is removed (and never put back) it was more than a days work though and he came to me
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi your not looking at a vehicle from Dudley's are you out of interest?

OP
OP
mandjhumph

mandjhumph

Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Road Runner

Yes that would be the one!! They have four Braves all similar age style milage etc

Do you know the history of the one in question or have you just seen it yourself?? Any thoughts welcome.

Martyn & Jane

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: You could buy a better one from the USA. Tour for a while. Ship it back. ALL for less than £40,000. IMH&HO. :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi Road Runner

Yes that would be the one!! They have four Braves all similar age style milage etc

Do you know the history of the one in question or have you just seen it yourself?? Any thoughts welcome.

Martyn & Jane

They have the scruffiest vehicles at the highest prices.

On our visit to them come away thinking we could not afford a decent RV and nearly gave up our search.

Not bad guess eh!

=======================================================

BTW:- I bet they never tried to clean the carpet, it may well be cleanable:winky:

OP
OP
mandjhumph

mandjhumph

Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
Since 2004
I know what you mean the ones that they own are better presented than the ones they "are selling on behalf of" but I guess thats to be understood as the owner can turn up at any time and say I sold it privately and Dudleys would have lost out by valeting it etc.

To be honest the dealer we are hoping to buy from is Freedom, they have been so helpful and we feel honest with us, its just that we have fallen in love with the Braves and love the sofa with the pull out footstool/coffee table (sad I know:Blush:).

But we will have to see whats about when the cash arrives!! We now three offers over the asking price on our house but none are proceedable :cry: So its just a waiting game. We were hoping to be in the RV by Christmas but not looking so likely now.

Martyn and Jane

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Dudleys eh?

E-mailed them twice in the last month, asking for details of a couple of units.

Still no reply, so obviously they don't need sales!

I HATE incompetence / attitude like that:Angry:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I unfortunately have to agree with John RR, when I last visited Dudley's I thought there stock of vehicles was in an appalling condition. They nearly all looked very sad and unloved and were priced at the very top of the pile..... I certainly don't see us ever buying from them.
With regard to a 2001 RV needing to be recarpetted??? What kind of abuse has it suffered? How much hammer has the rest of the RV taken but is not showing yet? I would be very suspicious of that RV and would look elsewhere. Our Rockwood was sold recently and it was 12 years old and in nearly perfect condition, and as a seller I made sure that it was presented in a superb condition and looked the best it could. There is absolutely no excuse for presenting a scruffy vehicle, unless you do not care about it or the buyer and that is the reason I wouldn't touch any of the stock I saw at Dudley's. They promise that all vehicles are valeted before sale, can you imaging going into a Mercedes garage and seeing a stock of scruffy vehicles and being told that they would all be valeted before collection??? Unimaginable to my mind....
I can only advise that you wait and look at some other Braves (if it is a Brave that you want), or you may want to look Link Removed and see what is on offer. We bought Rocky from them and we had very good service, we can recommend these guys as they stood by us with a couple of problems, and that was on an older RV.....
Good luck in your search

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back