Replacing solar controller question (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I am about to remove a PWM and replace with Victron Smartsolar (I have used similar on my old MH and like both the performance and interface via Bluetooth etc ..)
The current controller sits high above the cooker and the solar cables and battery cables appear from behind the unit on the left and right respectively.
The leisure batteries live in an external locker.
So is there any reason I can't do the following......

Cut the battery wires in the leisure battery locker.
Join the current solar and battery connectors + to + and - to - at the site of the current controller.
Locate the new controller on the wall of the battery locker and attach the newly cut and trimmed wires to it.

1) I don't need to see the controller as the handy app is Bluetooth.
2) The controller will then be at the same temperature as the batteries rather than being above an obviously occasionally hotter cooker!

Have I missed anything?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As long as the wires are at least the same diameter, it should be good. And in theory, you'd get less losses that way too.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
As long as the wires are at least the same diameter, it should be good. And in theory, you'd get less losses that way too.
Same sized wires.
Whoever installed the panels chose not to join them on the roof and routed them both all the way to the current solar controller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back