Replacing shower waste plug hole fittings? (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I'm wanting to replace two shower tray "plug holes" because Mrs Hagstrom poured acid down them in a cleanliness drive (obsession) and the chrome surrounds have oxidised. The plugs have "SMEV" stamped on them so that's my first port of call but being a scaredy cat, I don't want to unscrew the Phillips screw in the centre of the trap fitting in case the bottom part drops away and leaves me with taking up the shower tray to rectifiy the matter.

Has anyone taken out the screw and found problems with the housing that the screw goes into? Photo enclosed to assist. You can see the oxidation discolouration and the central Phillips screw.

Attachments

• IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Thanks, Webby, it dropping away was what I was frightened of as there's no access at all under the shower tray.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a trick i use for those circumstances is use a piece of stiff wire like gardeners wire with a hook on the end. set the hook through the plughole to hold the waste up as you change the chrome trim.
set the hook through the chrome tim and catch on the lower plastic
undo screw
slide plughole up and off the wire
slide replacement back onto the wire
do up new screw
push wire and hook down slightly, turn it and pull out

took longer to explain than do the job

dont forget, don't overtighten the screw as the rubber seal will keep it waterproof

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not wishing to diss the @TheBig1 's suggestion as it is a good one but I would just add that there should be a 3 legged cross of plastic hiding under the metal drain that you can hook onto.

Martin

OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Thanks TheBigOne and Martin, I'll investigate the three legged cross and wire hook method.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back