Replacing rotten flooring on Hobby 750 fmse 2001 (1 Viewer)

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
Hi just to say I purchased a Hobby 750 March 2001 registered December 2017 and have already done 4000 miles and loved every minute! But alas found a few water ingress problems:( Boiler had gone through the floor, that looked like a heat problem and water ingress as I found a damp patch under the settee. Took boiler out and fixed all that and any rot I could not get to I covered in under-seal bitumen. Put it all back together then found the floor under the shower tray rotted so replaced all that and took off all the bathroom panels and found no further leaks. Sealed plug in the tray properly as this was loose and replaced a panel under the van below the shower outlet pipes and gave several coats of underseal on all joints and where sealant was. Now I find the floor is rotten in a small area underneath the van in the corner where the water filling flap is. I did have a leaking sureflow water pump next to the water tank inside the van which I fixed so this could have been the cause. Any advise would be great! I live in Weston Super Mare and paid top money for the van as it only had 30,000 miles and had been kitted out with many extras for off grid living including 3 x solar panels etc. I have patched the flooring underneath the van where it was rotten and then treated with bitumen underseal. I suppose really I should have stripped the interior out on the side of the van where all the water pipe work is so I could replace the flooring from above and not patched from below? Anyone else had a similar problem on a motorhome.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I'm not sure if underseal is the right thing to use as it can sweat and could possibly effect the glue in the ply also it is marine ply used due to the moisture generated under vehicle - i thought waxoyl was advised to treat the wood if it was repaired.

May be totally wrong here but it is how i have been led to believe it needs to be repaired

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I should have stripped the interior out on the side of the van where all the water pipe work is so I could replace the flooring from above and not patched from below?

I agree Peter, especially if you plan on keeping it.. yes.. that is the better way.. anything else will be a bodge ..

but what about warranty.. if it was a dealer you bought from you have rights under the Consumer Protection Act .. have you spoken to them ?

however, since you have made some repairs already they may suggest you have accepted the vehicle and wash their hands .. not an expert in this area.. just my view..

Would also suggest that as you have ran out of free posts, joining the forum by paying the subs, you will then have unlimited posts and will receive a lot of good advice about how to undertake a more extensive floor repair.. good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

SteveWa

Free Member
Jan 1, 2019
Funster No
I'm currently renovating a 2001 Hobby 750. The rot was so bad in the floor, mainly due to water ingress from the wheel arches. I stripped out the whole interior of the motor home, propped the shell with acrows from the suspension. Completely ripped out the floor, replaced with a resin plywood sheet on galvanised u-struts, bolted to the main chassis. Replaced the timber sole plates of the shell with teak hardwood and around the main door. Refitted and resealed all the windows, rejoined the motorhome shell to the drivers cabin. After the xmas holiday period I'll refit the interior. Its one of a kind now! Ive pictures of the progress I made and I hope to write a blog about it!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I would expect that will be a lot of blog !!! look forward to reading it, I love learning about someone elses large projects, hope I never have one myself though !!

OP
OP
Peter Waller

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
How did you get on with your repairs. I really would like to read about it and see any photos you took as I have the same problem with my 2001 Hobby 750 which I have tried to repair myself.

OP
OP
Peter Waller

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
I'm currently renovating a 2001 Hobby 750. The rot was so bad in the floor, mainly due to water ingress from the wheel arches. I stripped out the whole interior of the motor home, propped the shell with acrows from the suspension. Completely ripped out the floor, replaced with a resin plywood sheet on galvanised u-struts, bolted to the main chassis. Replaced the timber sole plates of the shell with teak hardwood and around the main door. Refitted and resealed all the windows, rejoined the motorhome shell to the drivers cabin. After the xmas holiday period I'll refit the interior. Its one of a kind now! Ive pictures of the progress I made and I hope to write a blog about it!
How are you getting on? Would love to see some pics and description as I have to do the same myself to my Hobby 750. Thx Pete.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How are you getting on? Would love to see some pics and description as I have to do the same myself to my Hobby 750. Thx Pete.
Sorry but you'll have a long wait for a reply.
Stevewa decided it wasn't worth subscribing so, since 1st Jan can no longer take part in the forum.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Hi guys,

I have subscribed! so I'll be around for more than one post

I've got a 2001 Hobby 750 tag axle and after lots of digging and prodding I've found the problem.

It's the plastic wheel arches. Well, not strictly the wheel arches it's the the way the body of the motorhome is attached to the Al-Ko chassis and the plastic arches that cover up the problem.

Basically, there's two issues:

1. the seam that connects the body to the chassis has a silicone joint sealant that perishes and leaks. Easily rectified.

2. the screw holes that attach the plastic arch to the body can let in water...significant amounts of water!! Again, a very easy fix when you know what you're looking for.

I've already done one arch of my 'van and will be doing the other side shortly.

I'll add a link when I've done it if that's okay.

SteveWa

Free Member
Jan 1, 2019
Funster No
Apologies, I should have posted alot sooner, but better late than never!. As can be seen from the pics there is no easy quick fix to this problem. The extent of the rot ran right through the floor and sole plates. I haven't even begun the blog, thats going to take some time! But here's a taster for ye anyway. Any questions just ask away.

:-(

:)

:cool:

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
That's a brilliant job. Well done!
Have you got more pictures? Can't wait for the blog that's going to make interesting reading.

SteveWa

Free Member
Jan 1, 2019
Funster No
That's a brilliant job. Well done!
Have you got more pictures? Can't wait for the blog that's going to make interesting reading.
Thanks,

Ive hundreds of pictures of every stage of the renovation.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Don't keep us in suspenders :)
If you've got time I'd love to see some more, especially propping the shell

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Did you change the wallpaper while you had everything out? I can't quite tell whether it's new wallpaper or if you gave it a good clean.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Mate that looks brilliant most of us would have cried off such a big job as that well done.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
And you know a thing or to about replacing spongy floors, Dave Motorhome-dude

I agree, the blog should be interesting.
I haven't replaced my floor. If and when (hopefully never!) I have to, it's always good to draw on others experience especially when it's the same van. Steve will have come across all those annoying problems which you just don't know until you strip it out. I bet if he did it again he could do it in half the time now he knows exactly what he's looking at.

Can't wait to see more pictures :)

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Apologies, Dave@Motorhome-dude, I should have said, repaired, not replaced part of your floor, to be correct.?
No problem :)

I wonder whether Steve decided to do any upgrades while he had the van stripped so far back?

Am I a bit sad I think this is a really exciting job to tackle??

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That is a good looking tidy job

SteveWa

Free Member
Jan 1, 2019
Funster No
Did you change the wallpaper while you had everything out? I can't quite tell whether it's new wallpaper or if you gave it a good clean.

I gave it a good clean with sugar soap. Gave it 2 coats of a multi surface primer and painted in a rich cream colour.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
That's interesting! I never would have thought of painting it. Were you happy with the results?

Did you do any upgrades while it was stripped back so far? Like, bigger batteries or moving anything around or adding things?

SteveWa

Free Member
Jan 1, 2019
Funster No
I bet if he did it again he could do it in half the time now he knows exactly what he's looking at.

It was fairly straight forward to be honest & I don't think I could cut any time if I was doing it again.

Although I was lucky that I only had one side skirting off (drivers side) as the new floor slid in and butted the opposite side, that made the job a small bit easier!

There were a few shaky moments while removing some acrows to slide new floor in!

SteveWa

Free Member
Jan 1, 2019
Funster No
That's interesting! I never would have thought of painting it. Were you happy with the results?

Did you do any upgrades while it was stripped back so far? Like, bigger batteries or moving anything around or adding things?

Delighted with the painting, if anyone considers it just remember to prime! Just typical upgrades, gas lines, pipework etc. Happy enough with the layout as it was/is.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Delighted with the painting, if anyone considers it just remember to prime! Just typical upgrades, gas lines, pipework etc. Happy enough with the layout as it was/is.
Where are you based Steve?

I'm in Stockport (near Manchester) if you're close enough and fancy grabbing a cup of tea and a natter some time.

Dave.

OP
OP
Peter Waller

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
Well I could never face doing all that but I do have similar problems and I see in one of your photos the rot in the corner by the water filler, which is exactly where I have some rot as well as up by the shower and boiler (Looking from underneath the van) I want to do the repair motorhome dude advises about re sealing the wheel arches and look forward to seeing how he does it when he posts his video...hint hint!! I do occasionally here the water pump kicking in and wonder if this is due to a slight leak somewhere or just loss of pressure in the pipe lines after an hour or so?

OP
OP
Peter Waller

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
And thank you Steve for your photos...that was an incredible job, unfortunately well above DIY skills:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back