Replacing rear view camera (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Currently have a single lens camera pointing down towards the tow bar. The monitor is where the rear view mirror used to be. I would like to have a twin lens camera so that I can see the tow bar etc but also see directly backwards so as to see the traffic behind me (not for the purpose of delighting in the chaos caused by my strict adherence to speed limits, despite the fist-shaking of those behind me).
I have seen various cameras that have two lenses for this purpose.
As the wiring is already in place, is it a simple matter of just swapping cameras?
When I select reverse, a view with red and green grid warning lights operates on the inbuilt satnav/radio. Would this be affected by changing the camera?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Anybody? Have I posted in the wrong section?
Maybe I should change the title to something like:
"Naked motorhomer drinks grey water"
:D

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't think you can do that.. on the twin rear cameras each camera has its own power supply and video link to the monitor.. that either involves two seperate cables or they do a single cable that splits at each end...
If you speak to someone like reversing cameras uk ive always found them very helpful..
Andy.
And you would need to check your existing monitor can take two channels ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As the wiring is already in place, is it a simple matter of just swapping cameras?
Only if you have wiring for twin cameras otherwise you will need to add a 2nd cable. Also depends on the existing wiring. My van had Waco cables in place, Adaptors were £80, new cables £25, I was quite happy to spend a day putting new cables in.
I'm telling a porky, I found the waco cables after I put my new ones in.:)
When I select reverse, a view with red and green grid warning lights operates on the inbuilt satnav/radio. Would this be affected by changing the camera?
Red red/green grid is normally from the camera so unless you by a camera with it you won't see it.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Andy and Lenny, thanks for the advice. I was too optimistic! I doubt there is double wiring and I also am unsure that the monitor can display two cameras. There is no documentation with the reversing camera. In fact, I can't even see what make it is.
As for putting in a second cable, I recall a Harry Callaghan saying "a good man knows his limitations".
If my lottery number comes up, I might get a new camera and display etc. Come to think of it, if my lottery number comes up, I'd abandon the van and travel everywhere being driven by my chauffeur and staying in 5 star hotels! :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Come to think of it, if my lottery number comes up, I'd abandon the van and travel everywhere being driven by my chauffeur and staying in 5 star hotels! :D
Not very dedicated then, I would buy a posh van.:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Not very dedicated then, I would buy a posh van.:LOL:
From your avatar, you've already got a posh van!
Actually, I was being flippant. We love the van and the lifestyle and even before we had a motorhome and travelled, we avoided hotels and loved camping.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
"Only a Hymer". We aspire to a Hymer! If we started again, we'd use the money to buy a used Hymer rather than a low mileage Bailey we bought. We get along ok with it but it ain't no Hymer!
As for those really posh vans, we saw a few at Mikki's place this summer. Would have sworn some of them had servants' quarters! Not sure I'd want that level of opulence even if I could afford it ( which I can't). I'm not bitter though. :cautious:

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Alternative fit a camera to see behind you and reversing sensors. I have both twin lens and reversing sensors. The sensors pick up a lot more than the camera!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back