Replacing leisure battery (under seat) (1 Viewer)

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
Hi

As title suggests we need to replace our leisure battery even though the camper's new - we're not going to drive a 200mile round trip again just for this. So the dealers are going to pay for a new one (sorced locallly to us) and I'm going to fit it.
Am I missimg something or does the seat have to come out, it seems like a lot of work just to replace the battery.:RollEyes: I've taken the plastis covers off the front and back but there's no way the battery is going to fit through the gap!
Does the swivel seat need to come out and is there anything I need to watch out for e.g. the seat belt pre-tensioner?:Smile:

Many thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, just take the seat out.. It is really easy to do and requires little in the way of tools ( or patience :Smile: )

Ands of course once it is out the replacement of the battery is nice and easy too :thumb:

OP
OP
L

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
Thanks Jaws all i needed to know:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had the same doubts a few months ago when I needed to check the battery on our van (previous one had a nice, separate, battery locker).

It turned out to be really easy, just four bolts to take out with a hex key. The seat isn't all that heavy to lift either.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Hi

As title suggests we need to replace our leisure battery even though the camper's new - we're not going to drive a 200mile round trip again just for this. So the dealers are going to pay for a new one (sorced locallly to us) and I'm going to fit it.
Am I missimg something or does the seat have to come out, it seems like a lot of work just to replace the battery.:RollEyes: I've taken the plastis covers off the front and back but there's no way the battery is going to fit through the gap!
Does the swivel seat need to come out and is there anything I need to watch out for e.g. the seat belt pre-tensioner?:Smile:

Many thanks

You will probably need a torque screwdriver-type bit to take the seat out. Don't be tempted to use a hex key as you may burr the bolt heads. Then you would be cross!

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
before you buy a leisure battery, have a quick look on previous threads on batteries as you need to get a traction battery.

Broken Link Removed

I have two of these and the b2b charger, jonandshell is a fork truck engineer so he knows a lot about batteries (bores the hell out of me when were walking the dogs:roflmto:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
before you buy a leisure battery, have a quick look on previous threads on batteries as you need to get a traction battery.

Broken Link Removed

I have two of these and the b2b charger, jonandshell is a fork truck engineer so he knows a lot about batteries (bores the hell out of me when were walking the dogs:roflmto:)

Snap ! Good to know there are other ex truck tecs out there.. Did it for several years ( TCM's, Boss, and Lancing Bagnells mainly..) I was one of the sad buggers who had to go and do a full four day course on battery charging..( even though the guv'nor knew full well my background :Doh: )

I was a bit miffed to be honest and ended up teaching the bloody teacher a thing or too ( in private as I did not wanna embarrass the poor bugger.. He knew the basics but once it all got a bit esoteric at question time he soon got bogged down. )

Battery and battery charging is actually a fascinating subject and when you really start digging into plate thickness agin airspace, electrolytic etc etc the math gets bloody complex to say the least

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back