Replacing leisure battery - order of operations (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Having recently changed my solar charger to a Votronic from the LR1218 I am now looking to replace my single 142aH FLA battery with two 75aH Gel batteries and I have seen some comments on the forum about fuse order removal and replacement, so I thought I would post my checklist for the job to check I have everything including the fuses in the correct order.

1. Check mains lead disconnected
2. Turn off 12v system
3. Cover solar panel
4. Remove EBL solar fuse
5. Remove Votronic fuse
6. Remove battery terminals
7. Remove battery
8. Connect second battery leads to first battery lead terminals
9. Change Votronic setting to Gel
10. Change EBL setting to Gel
11. Install batteries
12. Connect primary leads to battery one
13. Connect linking leads to battery two, positive to positive
14. Insert EBL solar fuse
15. Insert Votronic fuse
16. Uncover solar panel
17. Turn 12v system on
18. Have a coffee or beer

Does this look correct?

Jim

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think given my experience you missed out dither for ages wondering what to buy!!

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I think given my experience you missed out dither for ages wondering what to buy!!
I did plenty of dithering deciding which controller to get and which batteries, but the previous threads helped me through that stage.

Actually my biggest worry is the physical removal of the old battery. It is 142aH so quite a big lump that must weigh around 32kg and it is in an underfloor locker in the Frankia and so I have to lift it out. The decision to replace it with 2 x 75aH rather than one large one was made principally on the weight handling issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Having changed 2 leisure batteries on a Carthago C Tourer today, don’t underestimate removing the battery clamp! On ours it really needs a right angle screwdriver or ratchet - no headroom to get even a dumpy screwdriver in! Otherwise, no problem. Top tip - take a picture of old connections before removing.

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Having changed 2 leisure batteries on a Carthago C Tourer today, don’t underestimate removing the battery clamp! On ours it really needs a right angle screwdriver or ratchet - no headroom to get even a dumpy screwdriver in! Otherwise, no problem. Top tip - take a picture of old connections before removing.
Fortunately on the Frankia the battery is in a large underfloor locker and access to the terminals is no problem. I have not yet tried loosening the bolts so I am hoping they are easy enough, but getting a tool to them won't be an issue.

The point about the photo is a good general tip for all sorts of connections. When I did the solar controller replacement I drew out a schematic. Next job will be a fridge vent fan, so I have just drawn that out, I am just going to attach the fan to the vent cover, so I need a plug and socket near the fan to enable the vent removal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back