Replacing head unit in my Auto trail Apache, need advice regards dvb-tv.... (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Hello boys n girls!

We have an Autotrail Apache 632 2012 model year with the absolutely USELESS 13ELE2000 stereo head unit in it. The kids are buying me a Pioneer AVH-A3100DAB double din head unit for father's day, (they haven't ACTUALLY bought it yet, is it ok for the £200ish budget they have? Should I get something more expensive?) and I've taken out the the 13ELE2000, looked at the Italian restaurant amount of spaghetti wiring behind it, reconnected it all and shoved it back in it's hole in the dashboard. I've decided to get a pro to install it for me, who I've already booked. I could probably do it myself but with no definitive wiring diagram and now idea what others have done to the stereo and t.v. system before we got the MoHo last year, I don't want to bugger up or blow up things already installed.
So....
I have a few questions (now I want accurate answers with code numbers and model names and the whole tech hit here please!!;)(y))

1) The company who are going to fit it said I'd need a "12 volt TV tuner" but wouldn't be drawn on which one to buy.....We intend to watch tv occasionally when on hols in far flung places in the UK, but also intend to head down to France and Spain, possibly Italy, Greece & Croatia at some stage in the next couple of years and I want a measure of "future-proofness". So what to buy? Please advise!

2) I've been doing a little research and found out lots of you guys use firesticks, I have an amazon prime account will that assist when watching tv abroad?

3) Does the Apache have some tv tunerish original equipment in it already? I can watch tv using the directional aerial on the roof of the van but have to use the 13ELE2000 as the tuner/station finder and the picture on the built-in tv is POOO!

4) I also need a DAB aerial, what's the best to get given the above travel destinations? I like to listen to Radios 2 & 4, Talk Sport etc. etc.

5) I really want the stereo to act as my satnav and I'm quite happy to use one of the apps like Googlemaps or Here! on the Pioneer unit as it appears to link to my iphone using a usb lighting lead. Has anyone found a satnav app that includes dimensions for the MoHo, like height, weight, width etc that I could use? Or recommend a different head unit?

Whoa! LOTS of questions! Feel free to pick n choose! Can you get back to me asap with your thoughts and musings and model numbers and links and so on?

Thanks in advance!

Russ

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We had the same problem with our 13ELE2000 stereo head unit, it was a simple job to just remove it from the dash, in it's place we fitted a single din Pioneer Unit, which gave us some storage space, well enough for a pair of specs.
We fitted a Parrot Mki9200 to answer the phone which is a brilliant bit of kit, a Garmin Camper 660 sat nav completes the package.
All easy installations.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We replaced the, as you say, woeful 13ELE2000 after 3 warranty exchanges!

#3 - the 13ELE2000 has a built in DVB-T tuner that's connected to the drop down monitor above \ between the cab seats with an RCA plugged cable (yellow).
I replaced ours with an Xtrons unit (now discontinued) that also has a built in DVB-T tuner. You may be able to source a head unit with a tuner built-in or, as your auto spark has said, a head unit that can accept connection to an external DVB-T tuner bolt on unit.

#5 our Xtrons unit also has a built in sat nav but have never used it as I prefer our Garmin 760 as it's mounted in a better position than the media centre.

Leave others to answer your other questions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
1) Not done much about adding a TV to our van. I hope/expect you can get TV's that are 12v AND mains capable. Not sure about 12v only.
If on EHU I would use the mains option for the TV power.

2) A Firestick is a lot more useful if you have Amazon Prime. Lots of movies and TV series are hosted on Prime.
I just upgraded from a HD Firestick to a UHD Firestick and the new one is a lot faster in the menus.
Other none Amazon devices are available.

3) - I've the wrong Van make

4) Not sure if UK DAB channels are broadcast in other countries. Shd be easy to check online...

5) If you have a double din slot lots of ICE upgrades are available with car play for using your phone's satnav app, etc. Less of them for single DIN

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Our first motorhome was also an Autotrail. It had the earlier version, 12ELE. when it worked it was OK but this was not often. Dealer sent it foo for several repairs before eventually replacing it with a Pioneer unit, Avic......, can't remember model number. No TV tuner but it could mirror dvds to the drop down monitor.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
4) Not sure if UK DAB channels are broadcast in other countries. Shd be easy to check online...
What questions needed a bump?

I’ve just spared a minute to search for the above DAB question.
BBC radio channels are only broadcast for the UK DAB territory.

A different search may get answers for “how to to listen to BBC radio abroad” 😎

Mar 21, 2014
Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato moncayo
Exp
I am a newbie :-))
Hi Russ
I would just like to ask about your, motorhome.
I am considering buying the same one Apache 632 2012
I love the layout and the look of it . I have one to go and see, any advice, pros and cons .
And how do you find the payload on this ,
Hope you don’t mind me asking
Iona

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Hi Iona, just seen your post. Things I’ve found that needed fixing....the water pump kept conking out, it would just keep running all the time until it got a significant whack with a hammer, it needed a new micro switch. The kitchen tap body leaks occasionally, not fixed it yet. The original spec radio’s satnav didn’t work and the connection to our phones was very hit and miss. As you can see above I eventually replaced it with an excellent piece of kit. The rear view camera was very misted up and only worked occasionally (much better now with the new stereo but still a bit hit n miss).
From the habitation point of view the seating is excellent, the upholstery still in top notch condition after around 60k miles and 8 years, all the cupboards are in great shape, all the hinges and latches are still factory tight, the oven and hob are superb (the grill can sometimes be a little difficult to get lit). The bathroom is a little small, it’s a bit of a challenge if your xxxl size when sitting on the loo and want to have the door shut! and the bed is quite high for my 5’2” wife to climb onto. The long thin cupboard underneath the sink was useless as you couldn’t get to anything at the back unless you knelt on the floor, but I’ve put in a 200mm wide pull out kitchen storage rack in it. You need steps or a hop up to get to the back of the cupboards above the driving position. The electrical system works well, but whoever designed the light switching arrangement was an idiot, there is no rhyme or reason to the location of the switches and the lights they operate. The fresh water system works well, the water heater is excellent in either gas or EHU mode with a particularly effective bathroom shower, we have dogs and the shower tap on the outside is ace! The heating is excellent too, gas is best though. The fresh water tank drain pipe developed a leak so make sure to check all the pipework and jubilee clips. It’s a bit rocky from side to side when you walk around in it, I’ve fitted stabilising legs to the tow bar at the rear and that’s made a big difference.

Driving, it’s got a comfy driver’s seat, but I wish I could get a little further away from the pedals and still reach the steering wheel, the gearbox is a 6 speed joy to use given that it’s absolutely miles away from the gearbox, the clutch is still nice and light, it’s brakes are excellent, the pedal has a firm feel to it, it’s surprisingly nippy when setting off from traffic lights, will cruise at 80 if you want it to, but feels happiest at 60 with the cruise control on. Mpg is around 28-32. The passenger door mirror “shuts” in strong cross and head winds, I have a cunning plan with a new star washer coming up soon, watch this space. The air con was fine when we got it, but had to be re-gassed at it’s first service in September 2020, haven’t really driven it much since so I don’t know how that’s doing. The scuttle in the engine bay was absolutely full of water and debris until I used a trombone cleaning brush on the drain hole, see classifieds for a fix from Paulandchrissie, (just got mine but haven’t fitted the various bits yet.)

Never had an issue with the payload, even when carrying about 35kg of awning around with us. I have gone for gasfill gas bottles though, they are much lighter than steel Calor ones. We have a toad in the shape of a Toyota Aygo attached to the back via an A-frame, I don’t really notice it’s there when we’re towing it. Garage space is very large and very useable but the lighting in ours got smashed off the first time I put a picnic table in it so I’ve replaced it with an overhead LED unit. The garage doors leaked around the seals but I “adjusted” the hinges with a hammer and they fit properly now. The Hab door hydraulic door stop disintegrated and the “nipple” on top of the door is very tenuously attached, this needs more investigation. The bodywork is in excellent nick for an 8+ year old vehicle, no signs at all of any rust on the metal body panels or chassis components.

Hope all this has helped, it’s turned into a bit of a “stream of consciousness”!!

Happy to help if you have any specific questions! Just PM me.

Cheers!

Russ

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Personally after years of experience I have found every time, built in satnav are not as good as the Android Tomtom go app or a good stand alone satnav.
Forget futureproofing, the manufacturer may promise software updates but they rarely do them. My Kenwood bought new in 2016 never has had an update from the manufacturer.
A head unit with HDMI input and output will mean you can display most external sources on the HU and visa versa.
Although our kenwood doesnt have Bluetooth out i have an adapter that plugs in the Audio out.
After many years ic using tomtom go on my phone I bought a large screen camping go satnav just so I could leave my phone as a phone and to stream to my head unit with spotify.
All in one means too much switching between stuff.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Personally after years of experience I have found every time, built in satnav are not as good as the Android Tomtom go app or a good stand alone satnav.
Forget futureproofing, the manufacturer may promise software updates but they rarely do them. My Kenwood bought new in 2016 never has had an update from the manufacturer.
A head unit with HDMI input and output will mean you can display most external sources on the HU and visa versa.
Although our kenwood doesnt have Bluetooth out i have an adapter that plugs in the Audio out.
After many years ic using tomtom go on my phone I bought a large screen camping go satnav just so I could leave my phone as a phone and to stream to my head unit with spotify.
All in one means too much switching between stuff.
Some built in sat-nav use the same CD slot as the ICE for operation - may’ve just been for choosing a 2nd language. Not sure but luckily it was just a hire car.

FWIW, my Mazda 3 was a Garmin supplied SatNav with a SD slot for updates. Free updates for the warranty period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back