replacing halogen bulbs to LED (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Next job in van is to replace internal halogen bulbs with LED . At the moment in internal downlighters and eyeball spots , there are G4, side pin , I think 10 watt , style halogen bulbs . Without buying a range of replacements just to try out , am wondering if anyone can offer any assistance , ref wattage/lumens etc please .

For example , have been considering this style of replacement :

Amazon product ASIN B01N20ESJ0

Would also be looking at same style but in cool white for downlighters in kitchen area and bathroom.

Any views , suggestions for replacements and so on are welcome .

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Personally I would go for the flat led.
They are in the shape of a disc and all the leds point downwards.
They have the same pin fittment as the ones in your picture.

I found cutting a bit of the pins allows them to fit a bit better.

There was a thread about replacements a while ago might be worth a search.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I replaced pretty much all my internal lights with LEDs. Far brighter and more even spread of light for far less load on the leisure battery.

However, I have had a problem that took me a while to work out. I kept blowing bulbs in the bathroom... The bulbs seem to start flickering and fail after only a few hours, but only in that fitting. It didn't appear to be moisture related.

In bright sunshine, my solar panel stuffs 14v into the circuit to charge the battery... and the bathroom light is the only one I use during the daytime when the solar panel would be running. The G4 LED bulbs I put in most of my fittings are general house usage ones, not automotive grade that are more voltage tolerant. It looks like they expect 12v and aren't too happy with being boosted that far. At the moment it's got an old incandescent in there until I find something more suitable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
Personally I would go for the flat led.
They are in the shape of a disc and all the leds point downwards.
They have the same pin fittment as the ones in your picture.

I found cutting a bit of the pins allows them to fit a bit better.

Thanks, I know the style you mean .When I checked the physical size of the disc style I thought they might be a bit on the large side to fit within the dome shape downlighters , as the pins in the lamps are at the top of the dome facing in (if that makes sense).Whereas the ones I linked to are not far off the physical size of the halogens in place at the moment, I think about 2 or 3mm longer .

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I have the discs in mine and fit ok.

As I said if you nip a bit off the pins they are a better fit.

I think you get a better light from them as well.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I fitted the disc type and they are fine. I did get super bright for the old courtesy lights as we use them for reading lights. don't forget they are polarity sensitive so if they don't work first time you have to reverse the wires to the fitting.

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
Yes , I know what you mean , ref better light . I was actually in communication with aten lighting and the guy there was also referencing the disc style as a suitable replacement. I simply came across the style I linked to when I was searching around .

Being honest I was swayed by the price as well, as there are a total 18 downlighters and spots in our van , with a further 8 total lights in ceiling, step , garage , cupboards ..... So a fair old £ outlay involved .... as a descent quality and warrantied disc style appearing to average the £5 each mark and the above amazon linked ones around £1 each .....However safety first and buy right first time principle are uppermost considerations , for me anyway

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
I

The G4 LED bulbs I put in most of my fittings are general house usage ones, not automotive grade that are more voltage tolerant. It looks like they expect 12v and aren't too happy with being boosted that far. .

The disc ones I have looked at are apparently voltage regulated 10v to 30v , fused and spike protected. and warrantied etc , so maybe worth considering.

for ref.....https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/8led-side-pin-g4.html

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
and I got the cheapy ones of fleabay, 10 for a tenner, free postage. had the odd one flicker but generally all been fine.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
and I got the cheapy ones of fleabay, 10 for a tenner, free postage. had the odd one flicker but generally all been fine.

Same with me bulk cheap buy from ebay wait a month or so and bingo. Have had a few fail after a few months of continuous use but have not topped up my spares box for years. Some cheap ones are polarity sensitive. For disk ones I have found the COB types better. 2 watt replaces a 10 watt and 3-4 a 20 watt

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
Same with me bulk cheap buy from ebay wait a month or so and bingo. Have had a few fail after a few months of continuous use but have not topped up my spares box for years. Some cheap ones are polarity sensitive. For disk ones I have found the COB types better. 2 watt replaces a 10 watt and 3-4 a 20 watt

Was looking at the choices on e bay and in particular for non polarity sensitive . The pins on our lights are positioned whereby the disc type LED would be facing the wrong way if polarity sensitive required reversing the pins.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Was looking at the choices on e bay and in particular for non polarity sensitive . The pins on our lights are positioned whereby the disc type LED would be facing the wrong way if polarity sensitive required reversing the pins.
It's usual to have to swap the wiring to the light unit under those circumstances.

The cheap eBay ones do have occasional failures but most are OK. Just buy 10% more than you need as spares. Once the initial few failures have been replaced they're Ok long term.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

I have only used a few flat disk types but have never had a polarity problem.

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Another vote for the cheap ones on eBay. I bought some a few years ago, only one failed in that time, replaced it and no problems since. I have sold the van , but new owner was very happy with them. Why pay more than you need to? They are all made in China, probably the same factories!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back