Replacing glove box with drinks holder? Any tips? (2 Viewers)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi, i am thinking of replacing the centre console glove box with a drinks holder OEM part. The one i have seen at around £65 on ebay also has the facility to install a usb charger. Has anyone replaced their centre console glove box with something similar? Did it do what it says on the tin LOL ! Did you also fit the usb charger, if so where did you get it from?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Isn't it usually the other way round? People fit the glove box and either make or buy the drinks holder to fit in the open glove box door when needed, best of both worlds.

Our glove box locks so it's great to shove the sat nav in when we're in Lidl. If you decide to get rid of it, put it on ebay and it will pay for the drinks downgrade ??

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes. Exactly what I did. The middle glove box is pointless for us, there are already two others and loads of other storage. But no cup holder or phone hole. This does both jobs.
The tray thing that you can buy that fits on top of glove box gives you the worse of both. Poor cup holders, an unusable glove box and really sticks out into the foot area.
A9B111E6-9D13-4A68-9E8A-61C63E77E797.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Our first van was based on the Peugeot Boxer and had the cup holder central console but our current Fiat Ducato based PVC had the central lockable glove box.

The problem we found with the central lockable glove box was that there was nowhere in the cab area to keep small stuff which could be close to hand and nowhere at all for putting down takeaway cups of coffee especially for the driver.

We did consider getting one the aftermarket shelf solutions to fit on top of the central lockable glove box but it required the glove box to be kept permanently open which severely restricted the movement from the habitation area through to the cab area.

I easily swapped the central lockable glove box for the cup holders unit. There was a slight and hardly noticeable colour mismatch as the cup holder is black and the Fiat Ducato dashboard is very dark grey.

I haven't installed the USB sockets but I will if I can find the right bits.

Original Fiat Cup Holder/Fiat Ducato/Citroen Jumper Peugeot Boxer 250 Models from 2006 Onwards. Amazon product ASIN B01N7YYFQB

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
If anyone with the cup holder instead of the glove box would like to swap to a glove box and i would take their cup holder in exchange???

Mine is a 2015 peugeot boxer with a black glove box ??

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Easy enough to swap, but fiddly, and tight for room if are more than a stick thin midget. It goes in front of (read as blocks) the filter for the internal air system, so I would advise buying and swapping whilst doing the job. That way you don’t have to revisit the area. ??

It is a great mod. As is swapping to the later tablet holding pop up on the dash.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Easy enough to swap, but fiddly, and tight for room if are more than a stick thin midget. It goes in front of (read as blocks) the filter for the internal air system, so I would advise buying and swapping whilst doing the job. That way you don’t have to revisit the area. ??

It is a great mod. As is swapping to the later tablet holding pop up on the dash.

point taken, ok - i am happy to buy a new drinks holder and do it in one go, so will have a glove box for sale if anyone is interested ... will put it on the forum after i have changed over - or have i misread it and you mean swapping the internal air filter first?

do you have info/pics re the tablet holder? i would also like to install a sat nav and reversing camera. i really want the rear view mirror reversing camera. does anyone know if any of those also double up as a sat nav, has anyone got one or know of one and can give a recommendation?

if not then i would prefer an in dash sat nav that looks fully integrated (not the tom tom based one) - again, if anyone has a recommendation please .....?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I mean buy and fit a new internal air filter when you fit the glove box replacement. Otherwise you will have to remove it when you do choose to change filter later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back