Replacing blind locks on Hobby Motorhome (1 Viewer)

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
I have received 7 sets of new blind locks for our 1999 Hobby 650. They are supplied without fitting and installation instructions. Does anyone know how the lower fitting as shown below is intended to be attached to the aluminum frame (glue, double sided tape etc)?

IMG_20190506_135416-600x800.jpg

If anyone else needs some of these they are available here:
https://www.hobby-fendt-caravan-spares.com/Blinds-lock-for-Hobby-motorhomes

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don’t think the factory would use glue and double sided tape will not be strong enough so it’s got to be a screw or it just clips in. Do the little side pieces come off to reveal screws.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
I have received 7 sets of new blind locks for our 1999 Hobby 650. They are supplied without fitting and installation instructions. Does anyone know how the lower fitting as shown below is intended to be attached to the aluminum frame (glue, double sided tape etc)?

View attachment 301782

If anyone else needs some of these they are available here:
https://www.hobby-fendt-caravan-spares.com/Blinds-lock-for-Hobby-motorhomes

Hi mate,

I've got a 2001 Hobby 750 with exactly the same fittings. Here's a short video explaining how to change them.

I'm pretty sure I mention where I bought them from as well (or maybe check the replies to the video) They only cost a few quid and come in several colours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OZeRV

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995

In May I finally managed to replace the lower fittings by lifting the lower part of the flyscreen sideways and sliding the old fitting off and sliding the new fitting on in the groove in the aluminium frame. Easy when you know how.
IMG_20190511_084843.jpg

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Good job :)

Got to be very careful you don't tear or stretch the flyscreen material and you really don't want to tear the black out/ heat reflective material. As you probably know, it's only held in position by a thin plastic rod.

Doozer

Free Member
Feb 24, 2019
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Has anyone managed to source the window frame screw covers that motorhome-dude talked about?
I’ve tried to get some but there never the right diameter.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Has anyone managed to source the window frame screw covers that motorhome-dude talked about?
I’ve tried to get some but there never the right diameter.
Hi Doozer,
Most caravan/motorhome retailers have them. If it's a Hobby try a Hobby supplier. Failing that and if you find they're a bit smaller than your holes you could put a blob of blu-tak behind them to hold them in place.

Doozer

Free Member
Feb 24, 2019
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you, I’ve tried all of those options without success. As it happens as a temporary fix I’ve used white tack to fill the holes, it takes a bit of time but looks fine :)

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Are you being serious, taking the whole surround off???

Just pull the blind down ( the fly screen) at an angle and you can expose the ends. slide the old one off and put the new one on and then put the blind back in the runners.

Job done.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Hi Delta 3,

Yes, I'm being deadly serious. Having tried pulling the blind at an angle only to find that it ripped the flyscreen I tried another method which puts no pressure on the flyscreen.

If you're lucky enough to be doing this job on a fairly new vehicle I'm sure pulling it to one side would be fine. On a van over twenty years old (and twenty year old flyscreen) trust me, you'll tear it.

You'll see in my other videos I changed flyscreens. This video was directly aimed at people that want to save the screen and just replace the clip.

I'll look forward to your video changing a twenty plus year old flyscreen by yanking a corner to replace the clip.

Best wishes,

David.

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
I have one broken fly screen catch, and so searched to see if anyone else had the same problem and happend upon the thread you had posted in.

So was watching the video that someone else had posted of you removing the surround and thought okay, easy enough to do ( I am in the trade) not caravans, Building trade- all rounder General maintenance everything from Re roofing, plastering a full house, building, all plumbing works etc, etc etc and at the moment any 5h!t job I can get my hands on. Did you know that multi finish is selling on fleabay and Face ache market place for £50 a bag, Wanted some for a job of which I didn't know the real quantity down in Felixstowe, so was going to take a couple of bags of backing and top coat. Only place i could get any plaster was Wickes, they would sell me the Hardwall but not the skimming ! WTF!!!" All done socially distancing of course.

Okay, I digress, so watched your video and then I had a light bulb moment about 5 mins after watching it and I just pulled the blind down and angled it and it took the catch off and put it back on again then placed it back in the runner.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
You're lucky you only had one broken! Lol

I had leaking windows, flyscreens with holes, tension bars loose and all sorts of silly niggles.

The problem I found with the original flyscreen was it was so old it stretched or tore out of the little plastic rod when I pulled it to one side. Hence the video to show how to remove the frame to save the original flyscreen. It wasn't that important to me as I changed the flyscreens but thought it might be helpful for anyone who didn't want to go as far as replacing the flyscreen. Obviously, newer vans or flyscreens in better condition it's probably overkill.

........I'd still take a couple of screws out of the bottom frame every so often just to be safe. Hobby's have a nasty habit of letting in water around the windows.

Delta3

Free Member
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
10 years+
Cheers MHD

Just a couple of questions may as well put them here rather than starting a new thread.

Mine doesn't have a rear ladder, where can you get hold of one. I have seen the arguments for and against having one, so if we do go ahead it's with our eyes fully open on the potential of giving easy access to scroats that want to access the vehicle for nefarious reasons and it being essential to use a ladder guard.

The same question for a bike rack, and the best place to put fixings etc that goes for the ladder too if we go down that route.

The most vulnerable entrance on my Hobby, I would say, is the garage, has anyone come up with any beefed up solutions in that area? I was thinking of a couple of slidey bolts that could be accessed from inside, - would mean folding the mattress up to access them but well worth the hassle for added security. It does look like a previous owner has put magnetic alarm catches at points of entry- habitation door and garage at the moment they are taped up so I will have to have a look at those and see if they actually do anything and if they are attached to some sort of alarm.

I do have one slight niggling problem around the sun roof, not sure if you have done a video on that, the vinyl covering has puckered up on two corners. how easy/ hard to loosen the surround off slightly to be able to ease it back under....not sure how or why it has got like that but does look a tad unsightly.

Dec 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Hi Motorhome-dude
I hope you are well, I seen your videos last year, just after I bought a Hobby 750 in need of extensive refurbishment, was looking to access them as I got to the areas that you have repaired. windows, floor etc. Can’t seem to find them now. Even on the YouTube?
Have you stopped posting? I hope you are OK.
Best regards
Rob

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Cheers MHD

Just a couple of questions may as well put them here rather than starting a new thread.

Mine doesn't have a rear ladder, where can you get hold of one. I have seen the arguments for and against having one, so if we do go ahead it's with our eyes fully open on the potential of giving easy access to scroats that want to access the vehicle for nefarious reasons and it being essential to use a ladder guard.

The same question for a bike rack, and the best place to put fixings etc that goes for the ladder too if we go down that route.

The most vulnerable entrance on my Hobby, I would say, is the garage, has anyone come up with any beefed up solutions in that area? I was thinking of a couple of slidey bolts that could be accessed from inside, - would mean folding the mattress up to access them but well worth the hassle for added security. It does look like a previous owner has put magnetic alarm catches at points of entry- habitation door and garage at the moment they are taped up so I will have to have a look at those and see if they actually do anything and if they are attached to some sort of alarm.

I do have one slight niggling problem around the sun roof, not sure if you have done a video on that, the vinyl covering has puckered up on two corners. how easy/ hard to loosen the surround off slightly to be able to ease it back under....not sure how or why it has got like that but does look a tad unsightly.
I’ve got a 560ec, 2007, with a ladder but was supplied on purchase, very useful for roof cleansing, would I retro fit should I not have had one, no, what do you want to put up there? My roof is covered with solar, nowt else is gonna get up there.
I was also concerned about security, my van would be difficult to access through the 5 different access hatches (no garage just under (single) beds storage type, so (& I am a fan of vanbitz) I got a immobiliser/alarm package installed, didn’t beef up the locks.
Not sure what a sunroof is so can’t comment.
Glad to see other mature hobby owners on here, hope to see you on the road, now, where’s that toilet thread…..

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
I’ve got a 560ec, 2007, with a ladder but was supplied on purchase, very useful for roof cleansing, would I retro fit should I not have had one, no, what do you want to put up there? My roof is covered with solar, nowt else is gonna get up there.
I was also concerned about security, my van would be difficult to access through the 5 different access hatches (no garage just under (single) beds storage type, so (& I am a fan of vanbitz) I got a immobiliser/alarm package installed, didn’t beef up the locks.
Not sure what a sunroof is so can’t comment.
Glad to see other mature hobby owners on here, hope to see you on the road, now, where’s that toilet thread…..
560ec wrong - 650ec

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back