Replacing a Window Seal...sort of guide. pic heavy (1 Viewer)

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Hi all,

I noticed a leak after some rain (lots of rain :)) , probably a typical issue with a motorhome. Upon inspection I could see that the seal had pulled away from the body in the upper corner. I stupidly did t take a picture of that.

This seal and window are not the original units as the window is of a different brand. You can clearly see from the mastic lines that seal was only just making contact with the body. They also didn't remove the old mastic fully....grrrrrr.

So I ordered a replacement seal and have set about repairing the issue. I removed the old seal and cleaned the mastic off properly with spirit and elbow grease.

I took some damp readings immediately after removing the seal and this is what I found.

This was Friday evening, I have not yet refitted the seal and the wood is drying out nicely. The rest of the frame is very dry around 7-9% but you have to dig in hard to get that. The wet bit previously reading nearly 40% has dropped to 17% in the worst bit so nearly dry. I think I have got there just in time as the wood feels still feels hard, so a big sigh of relief I think.

I removed all the old staples and cleaned anything sharp away. As I said I left it Friday to dry out with this dry spell we are having.

I compared the new seal I brought to the old one I removed. The new seal is the correct item for the 30mm body thickness, the picture below shows a comparison.

New seal on top, original at the bottom, now it is clear why it didn't fit and grip as it should, it is 5mm wider that the body. Obviously who ever fitted it just used what they had on the shelf..... assuming it was professionally fitted.

This is where I am as if now, I will be refitted the new seal later so will finish the write up with a hopefully leak proof newly fitted seal.

One tip...wear decent nitrile gloves as the mastic is bloody sticky, I found using the mastic to remove the mastic worked really well. Then a clean up with spirit to a nice fresh clean body.

It is a not a difficult job so I just thought I'd write this up to help anyone else looking to do something similar. I am also refurbishing the Remis blind so if people like this sort of guide I will do something similar.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Yes please always useful to have how to guides and tips in case need for future

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Ok new seal all fitted so as I said I'll finish the guide if you can call it that.

The new seal was just right for the body ...as it should be because I bought the correct width for the body. It is very easy to open out and push on. You have to ensure the butyl mastic seal pushes up tight to the body.

When you get to the corners you have to push the seal into it. This will make sure the seal wants to naturally push into the corner, and not pull tight and away like the old one on my van.

Once you get to the starting point, cut the seal slightly longer than the start point. The butt the 2 ends up and push in the bulge created.

If you imagine the seal should be wanting to push out against the body. Unfortunately I got carried away and didn't take any pictures of this step... so you will have to use your imagination.

Seal all fitted

I should also mention that taking the window off makes this all MUCH easier. It is very simple.
Lift the window 90° from the body and it will lift out.

Then onto stapling the seal in. I have a compressor and nailer but I think an electric one would work just as well.

Another tip, if you make where the timbers finish with masking tape on the body you can get right up tight to the corner.

Then comes the plastic insert....I purchased the seal and insertion tool from seals direct...to be honest the tool is £12...it isn't in my opinion that great.
Don't get me wrong I did get the plastic insert installed but it wasn't easy. I have used tools all most of my life and I think this tool is over priced and could be improved greatly.

Once the strip was in I wiped the silicon lubricant away. I then had to use the corner of a credit card to make sure the seal was correctly seated all the way around.

Once done refit the window. Now I can see that the previous person had not fully seated the window in the slot before allowing bit to drop. Be careful as this can damage the aluminium track. Just make sure it is fully seated.

Re fit you catches and the jobs complete.

I hope the little walkthrough helps anyone considering attempting this themselves. It really is a fairly simple job, if anyone is attempting it feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Also if anyone has any experience or tips add them as this only serves to help others.

Good luck

Edit - also before I refitted the moisture levels had dropped below 15% so hopefully all good now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back