Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Small crisis today on our big trip. I went to open the gas locker only to find that the handle was turning, but the lock mechanism wasn’t disengaging so I couldn’t open it to switch on the gas. After a lot of fiddling about I managed to remove the lock and get the hatch open. I have re-assembled the lock as best I can but it’s clear that the plastic barrel (who the hell makes a part like this out of plastic?) has stripped so that the mechanism that moves the bolt is no longer being correctly engaged.

I’ve managed to rig it up in a way that will get me home (I hope) but it’s clear that I’m going to need a new lock mechanism. Obviously I would rather have a new lock which matches the existing key. Who could do that for me? Would I be able to order it while I’m away so it’s there when I get back?

My existing keys have a five character code (2 letters then 3 digits). Is this the info I need to get the correct barrel put into match the others?

Thanks

Chris

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Small crisis today on our big trip. I went to open the gas locker only to find that the handle was turning, but the lock mechanism wasn’t disengaging so I couldn’t open it to switch on the gas. After a lot of fiddling about I managed to remove the lock and get the hatch open. I have re-assembled the lock as best I can but it’s clear that the plastic barrel (who the hell makes a part like this out of plastic?) has stripped so that the mechanism that moves the bolt is no longer being correctly engaged.

I’ve managed to rig it up in a way that will get me home (I hope) but it’s clear that I’m going to need a new lock mechanism. Obviously I would rather have a new lock which matches the existing key. Who could do that for me? Would I be able to order it while I’m away so it’s there when I get back?

My existing keys have a five character code (2 letters then 3 digits). Is this the info I need to get the correct barrel put into match the others?

Thanks

Chris

I wanted a matching locker key and hawked around everywhere.

My issue was that the key had worn out and most locksmiths and online services wanted a HD photo of the old key to laser cut a new one.

None accepted my arguement that a copy of a worn out key would do the job.

In the end the van manufacturer, Adria, wanted a photo of my key showing the ID number and the chassis number.

Also I had to make the purchase through an Adria dealer.

A bit of a runaround but once the information was supplied to Mullacott Caravans they had a new key, from Adria, within two days.

OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
I wanted a matching locker key and hawked around everywhere.

My issue was that the key had worn out and most locksmiths and online services wanted a HD photo of the old key to laser cut a new one.

None accepted my arguement that a copy of a worn out key would do the job.

In the end the van manufacturer, Adria, wanted a photo of my key showing the ID number and the chassis number.

Also I had to make the purchase through an Adria dealer.

A bit of a runaround but once the information was supplied to Mullacott Caravans they had a new key, from Adria, within two days.
Hmmm. Since it’s the lock I need (the keys are fine), hopefully that’s less of a security risk so should be simpler.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
Can't you get a new lock and change the barrel over?
Good thought. I didn’t look closely, but the barrel looked like it was integral to the mechanism, unless you’re telling me different?

Do you know what that sort of lock is called?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Good thought. I didn’t look closely, but the barrel looked like it was integral to the mechanism, unless you’re telling me different?

Do you know what that sort of lock is called?
There's lots of different types of locker locks but normally you can change the barrel over. These have quite a good range or try Ebay
Broken Link Removed:

OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
It sounds like it might be the barrel that is worn out.
The part that takes the key and releases the catch is operating fine. When the lock pops up, it frees a plastic shaft to rotate. That shaft is connected to the bolt - but is worn where the bolt connects to it. What I’m not sure about is whether the lock can be detached from that shaft (and it’s so delicately rigged up that I don’t want to undo it all to check in case I can’t get it working again). Does anyone know?

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.

Take a look here. Lots of motorhome locks are made by FAP, Zadi etc. I would think you would need to buy the entire lock to get the bit you need.

Removing barrels normally requires a special removal key, this unlatches it from the barrel sleeve. It doesn't sound as if you need to do that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back