Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Got 2 x 75ah batteries
Alarm keeps flashing stating low charge.
I know one of them is 19 months old as installed when we purchased van.
Not tested but therefore believe older one is knackered and dragging other one down.
Platinum S685L 75 - old one
Numax LV22MF 75 - new one
Both are connected together and work in conjunction with Battery Master fitted by Vanbitz

My question is do I have to replace like for like ie another 75
Or can I replace it for a bigger one?
Was planning on replacing for larger ones when due.
I think largest I can put in the same place is 2 x 100 or 110.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bigger is OK just make sure it’s the same type ie open/sealed lead gel or AGM, might be worth testing the one you think is good.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
For my money, I'd only use two identical batteries (just as you might in a torch). Any imbalance in one is bound to affect the other. If your Numax really is new, get another just like it. Otherwise I'd wait until the Numax starts to die and replace it with more capacity then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'd only use two identical batteries (just as you might in a torch)
I don't think that's a good comparison. In a torch the batteries are in series, with identical currents. They discharge at exactly the the same rate. When one is flat, the torch dims to almost off, even if the other is fully charged.

Leisure batteries are in parallel, with identical voltages. They discharge at different currents, to keep the voltage identical. A large battery will contribute more to the load than a small battery.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You're right. Not a good analogy. But when one battery starts to fail, it will take the other, too. Better to have identical batteries that should behave in the same way and work together more efficiently.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
So do I get 2x Varta Professional LFD90
Or Banner Engery Bull 100 or 115?

Even thou Varta smaller capacity leaning towards these atm from prev feedback.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My 1st question is why are they going flat? Are you using MH? How do you charge the batteries?
If you don't fix the charging you could end up with 2 new batteries also going flat if charging is the culprit.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
My 1st question is why are they going flat? Are you using MH? How do charge batteries?
If you don't fix the charging you could end up with 2 new batteries also going flat if charging is the culprit.
We have a 150w solar panel up until recently all okay. Not had on electric hook up for a while tbh but been longer without. Used three times in past 2 months. Usage only Heating Tv and Lights.
Drove back for 2hrs 30mins today and voltage back up to 12.7 was sub 10 this morning. Hence I believe knackered battery now

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It may be worth remembering, that it's not only the physical dimensions of the replacement batteries that are crucial. The capacity of the batteries, may exceed the ability of the onboard charging unit to cope with them.

As an example, here is an extract from a very knowledgeable chap at http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/

"Much of the Charging systems damage we have seen is consistent with excessive strain from constantly charging a battery that is past it's best or an overlarge battery bank.
This applies to ALL leisure charger units we have seen from Arsilicii to Calira and Nordelettronica to Toptron.

The other issue affecting Charger reliabilty is permanently charging the battery while the vehicle is in long term storage. "

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-charging-faults.php

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back