Replacement aerial (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have a Carthago A class just over 3m high. We are trying to get the height of the new garage as low as possible, but the radio aerial is very inflexible it adds another 1ft to the door height.On an earlier post I asked about taking it off (unscrewing it). It wouldn’t be practical to do that every time we drive into the garage as it means opening the big Hekie and standing on steps.
It has been suggested that we put a glass mount aerial on the windscreen but we may lose some quality on FM. Another thought is a glass mount and a new DAB radio. I know nothing about glass mount aerials. Any ideas please.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Could you fit a shark fin aerial in place of the existing tall aerial ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The sharks fin is a good idea, I’ll look on Google to check if the cabling is the same.
Thanks

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The glass mount aerials are a doddle to fit. It just takes some routing of the cable from the back of the radio, through the dash and inside the cover of the A-pillar (the edge of the windscreen). Really doesn’t take long at all and works very well indeed.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
The amplified glass aerial is the minimum for DAB and is very easy to fit provided that you can get a really good earth ( even paint free) earth connection on the A Pillar and can get the cable back to the radio.
We found it quite good on a trip from gloucestershire to suffolk but the aerial is still screened by the vehicle body depending on direction etc.
The Sharks fin ones are a real compromise in so much as the aerial part is tiny and they rely on amplification and a modern sensitive receiver thats why they are placed up on the roof. You can get FM/DAB ones and FM/DAB/GPS ones Most DAB radios will automatically drop back to FM if the DAB signal deteriorates if they are set to do so. I have found www.dabonwheels.co.uk to be a very helpful site.

Its also made harder by geography and where you might want to use it and the fact that the DAB radios are more like computers than old fashioned wireless's!
No doubt people will come along and say theirs works superbly,

So my advice would be to chat with people who do the installation as to just how confident they are that the revised aerial system will work as needed? money back guarantee??

Mike G8JXS

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Don't forget that aerial does the TV as well, I don't think the alternatives suggested will be any good for TV reception.

I assume that as we have an Oyster, that doesn't apply. I didn't know that we could get tv through the roof aerial.Thanks

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We thought about one of those screen mounted aerials as our wing mounted one isn't that good, but I doubt if it would function when we have the external silver screens in place ?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Would a powered retractable aerial work for DAB? It could fit in the corner of a cupboard so as not to take up too much space inside.

Dec 31, 2016
Scotland and Chef Boutonne
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 2010
I installed a Blaupunkt windscreen aerial and it was very good in strong reception areas but regularly lost reception when driving. Radio was always trying to find a signal. Generally worked well when stationary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back