Replace aircon unit with Fantastic Vent? (1 Viewer)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I'm pondering replacing my existing Dometic B2100 aircon unit with a Fantastic Vent 6000RBT - the one with the rain sensor, thermostat etc.

The aircon unit, which I've only used once, works OK but is far too noisy for overnight use and it's a constant cause of aggravation on the peages, putting my Cheyenne over the 3m height limit and often triggering Class 3. Most of the time a quick explanation to the operator and they will adjust it but some just won't budge.

TBH, I'd be a bit reluctant to use it on a site anyway due to the noise - I'm sure near-neighbours wouldn't be impressed:)

All-in-all, it seems to be just another 35kg of unwanted weight to carry around.

The aircon unit has no extract option so isn't much use over the kitchen area either whereas the FV would allow me the choice.

Any thoughts, please?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The fantastic vents work very well , esp being bidirectional , I have two on the RV and 98% of the time they are more than adequate . I also have the covers that allow them to be open even when raining , which can be very handy at times.
But when you need aircon (the other % ) only aircon will cut it . I have the OE one and a Euro one for when the EHU is below the necessary . Its down to you how much you think you may need the aircon / or feel you can use it . :)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The fantastic vents work very well , esp being bidirectional , I have two on the RV and 98% of the time they are more than adequate . I also have the covers that allow them to be open even when raining , which can be very handy at times.
But when you need aircon (the other % ) only aircon will cut it . I have the OE one and a Euro one for when the EHU is below the necessary . Its down to you how much you think you may need the aircon / or feel you can use it . :)
Exactly. Since my first encounter with Fantastic on my RV I have found them competent up to around 30 inside, after that the air con comes into play. I had them fitted on the Flair and now specified on the new Morelo. The rain sensor is great and makes the heki version look useless, well frankly it is. However dumping the AC would not be my choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes good idea, our aircon weighed over 40kg and we just replaced ours with a roof vent, we just use a endless breeze fan.
Have had the fantastic vents in our previous Hymer but hardly used it either.

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for the replies. On the face of it, it doesn't make sense to remove a functioning unit but it's not served much purpose so far. I'll ponder a while longer....:)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've got that aircon unit, fitted to the van before we bought it. On the whole it is very good - if and when we need and can use it. But the fact is you have to be on hookup for it to work and really need at least 10amp - I know it runs on less but startup and then running other electricals quickly overwhelms the 10 amp points we used. And the only occasions we've really needed it the best hookup available was a measly 6 amps - it tripped it almost straight away on every occasion.

Like you I've considered taking it off and fitting something else, but the hassle and expense puts me off. Instead I've bought an Endless Breeze unit which works okay for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Please forgive my ignorance on this subject but, we've had a Dometic roof mounted air conditioning unit on a previous van & we're well aware of its shortcomings.
Can anyone tell me if the Fantastic Vent is the same as an Omnivent?
I really liked the Omnivent's which we've had on previous vans.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Might be worth looking at the MaxxFan Deluxe as well, before ordering a Fantastic vent.

If you do a search on YouTube you'll see a lot of comparisons from people who have had both. Generally, it seems the MaxxFan is quieter, plus it can be left open in the rain (still auto opens/closes/thermostat control/remote/variable speed in and out if wanted).

Since fitting one a few months ago we've had it running almost continuously. Very happy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back