Repatriation from france, medical style... (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Having to drive what appears to be a massive beast of a vehicle, in a foreign country, in a stressful situation, for the first time is not something any sane person would want to experience.

If you do have another named driver on your insurance it might be as well to check he or she would be willing to drive if necessary - otherwise it might be a good idea not to have them as a named driver at all.
Which is why Rita is not on the insurance, and both the vehicle and breakdown insurers are aware that there isn't another qualified person aboard, able to drive the MH. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
@SandraL I hope you make a full and complete recovery. I do understand why you did not have travel insurance and am sorry you have had a large bill to pay.

We are just back from a cruise (full travel insurance with cruise cover and dangerous sports cover taken - with extra cost) and we will be making a claim for 24 hour cabin confinement following a minor digestive upset - luckily not the dreaded norovirus. However it transpired that many people on the cruise had relied on "free" travel insurance provided by High Street banks - and it further transpired that this travel insurance does not always cover cruises..... one poor lady had to be taken off the ship due to illness and found her insurance was not valid for the medical treatment she had on board or for the transfer back to land (luckily not a helicopter transfer).

Another man managed to get stung by something when on a tour and picked up an infection. The medical treatment and antibiotics had racked up in excess of £500 when I spoke to him and he was relying on insurance via his bank account ..... wonder if they will pay up?

It’s bad enough feeling ill on holiday, can I ask if many other people were sick with the same bug and what your exactly claiming for on insurance ? You say it’s no big issue so why claim ? Won’t it effect other insurance you apply for....
as in “ have you made a claim in the last five years “

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It’s bad enough feeling ill on holiday, can I ask if many other people were sick with the same bug and what your exactly claiming for on insurance ? You say it’s no big issue so why claim ? Won’t it effect other insurance you apply for....
as in “ have you made a claim in the last five years “

It was a digestive bug, possibly picked up during the journey down to the departure port or when we had lunch waiting to board the ship, a nasty hour or so of the "dire rear" and then no further problems. I have had similar on eating 'ready to eat' salad if it hasn't been rewashed after purchase so wondered if the salad bought at a cafe might have been a ready to eat put on a plate straight from the bag.

As far as I am aware there was not an outbreak on the ship (and if there is an outbreak the news of it spreads almost as fast as the virus). Our cruise extension insurance cover includes £50 per person per day for cabin confinement on medical grounds so as it is included and we were confined (and have the paperwork) we will make a claim - no point in paying for the extra cover and not claiming if you do have a valid claim. There is no excess for this section and if it affects our future premiums that is something we will have to live with.

It's no big issue if the insurance does not pay out as we only lost a sea day not a port day - we spent the day watching films in the cabin and room service delivered our prescribed meals, not that we felt like eating much. The films I watched were films I had wanted to see but didn't, "Three Billboards" and "Goodbye Christopher Robin". There was no charge for the medical consultation as it was gastric (and the ship wants to avoid spread of any gastric problems so doesn't charge for such consultations), there would have been a charge for any electrolytes provided by the medical team but I already had the gluten-free version in my own medical box.

If we had suffered a more serious problem (or a longer confinement) and the insurance did not pay out it would be a more serious issue of course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back