Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
well it had to happen sooner or later :Doh:
opened the cupboard to get the ingredients out to make a brew and dropped the sugar tin :Doh:

fortunately it missed the glass covers but has left a nice big dent and a few cracks in the surface of the worktop.
is there any successful way of repairing this or is it bite the bullet and just get a new worktop?

thanks in advance

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Did the same to our Pullman table when I opened the cupboard above and the portable radio dropped out.

I think you should prepare for that bullet to be bitten.

Steve

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
thanks but not really what i wanted to hear :cry::cry:
im obviously not the first and no doubt i wont be the last.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry to hear of your mishap Andy. You are fulltiming you have to assume it will happen again so why not delay replacing until you are ready to sell it and add a second work surface of a temp nature over the top, wood, formica or even a tile trivet. whatever you are not going to damage it more are you.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Sometimes you can get a dent out by applying steam (iron) to the dent and then fill in the cracks with the appropriate coloured repair putty.:winky:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
well it had to happen sooner or later :Doh:
opened the cupboard to get the ingredients out to make a brew and dropped the sugar tin :Doh:

fortunately it missed the glass covers but has left a nice big dent and a few cracks in the surface of the worktop.
is there any successful way of repairing this or is it bite the bullet and just get a new worktop?

thanks in advance

I'm not too sure what the structure of the damaged surface is, but if it helps......

I had an object fall out of a locker onto the kitchen table it punched a small hole through it, I repaired it by mixing white and black epoxy filler (the kind that comes in small tubes like Araldite) to get the best colour) and filled it with that. The match is not perfect but its a cheap functional repair.

Doug...

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Sometimes you can get a dent out by applying steam (iron) to the dent and then fill in the cracks with the appropriate coloured repair putty.:winky:

i think it may be just a little more damage than the steam iron could possibly get out.
bearing in mind the sugar tin was full and weighed just over 1kg falling from about 2 1/2 feet above the worktop.
im just glad it missed the glass covers as i guess those from Dethleffs wont be cheap.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi i would have a word with a local steel fabricators they should be able to supply a nice bit of stainless with polished edges if done nice it could look like it is suposed to be there.
have it from front to back of worktop. would look smart .

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I did some similar damage to a worktop in a previous house, when I lived near Bristol.

I went to a local reputable hand made kitchen manufacturer. They were very helpful people and had a number of epoxy type resins in a range of various colours which they used for such small repairs.

They even gave me some for free....:thumb:

Once done it looked ok, you only could see it if you really looked for it.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
In my caravan there is similar damage plus a cooker top i have been waiting forever for.........

So no its not just you but watching replies so i can make same repair.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have no experience of this but I do know a man who has ::bigsmile: He got the windscreen repair man out who filled the hole-supermarket car park- you can also buy the stuff from Ebay :thumb: Type in windscreen repair kit and makes your choice :winky: Also look at David's isopon kits
terry

scrapjack

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Andover, Hants.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7/8 years
Dent in work top

Hi. I had a similar problem in a caravan and it was suggested to me that I should stick a tile over it - matching the surrounding decor rather than the top. I got a black tile - the fridge front was black - and stuck the tile on and it worked a treat. I was fortunate in that the dent was near one corner and the tile looked like it was made for putting a cup on! Two tiles were puchased, as the minimum they would sell, so a spare was always available. They were small kitchen tiles and nothing special. Might be worth a try. Regards Keith:winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the other option not mentioned so far is to treepan (how do you spell that?) out the damaged area and fit an inlay that would look smart.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Buy several cutting boards of same size, cheap at £1 each. Get a good joiner with a router
to cut out damaged area to size and precise shape of cutting board and to half of thickness, insert one of boards into rebate. by buying several at same time you will have spares that will always fit when they get tatty, and a built in cutting board.

Regards
Steve

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Buy several cutting boards of same size, cheap at £1 each. Get a good joiner with a router
to cut out damaged area to size and precise shape of cutting board and to half of thickness, insert one of boards into rebate. by buying several at same time you will have spares that will always fit when they get tatty, and a built in cutting board.

Regards
Steve
Only problem I see with that is the worktop is made of hollow section egg box type material so if you router any out you will be into the cardboard-it may be better to stick the cutting board straight onto the worktop.If you cannot get a good match then go for a complete contrast :thumb: so that it looks like it was meant to be there.::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
trying to make something look like it was meant to be there is the big problem here as the damage is about 3 inches from the front edge of the worktop and more or less right slap bang in the middle.
Link Removed

more or less above the right hand corner of the oven

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If it is the same as the picture then it would not be a major job to fit to the shape of the sink and to the front edge so that you have a chopping board that looks like it was meant to be there :winky:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
trying to make something look like it was meant to be there is the big problem here as the damage is about 3 inches from the front edge of the worktop and more or less right slap bang in the middle.
Link Removed

more or less above the right hand corner of the oven
looks like a professional repair is your only option.

to replace the full worktop would be a massive job, probably entailing removal of the cooker and rear panel as well to access the fixings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back