Repairing 12.5mm plastic water pipe (1 Viewer)

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
We discovered on Saturday night that our water pipe between the pump and the bathroom has split - presumably frost damage though tank had been emptied and taps opened - it's split at lowest point where water collects. As the split is outside the van, inside the rear GRP skirt, rather than replace a 6 metre run of piping I would like to attempt a repair. Has anyone done this successfully? I've used clamps to repair domestic pipes with mixed success but I assume the pressure on the van is lower at 20 psi / 1.3 bar.
TIA
Andy

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Any caravan shop will sell push fit fittings, a new lenghth of pipe and 2 conectors. I would be looking to replace the whole pipe though as the cost is minimal and you would have 2 less joints.

OP
OP
atakd

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Any caravan shop will sell push fit fittings, a new lenghth of pipe and 2 conectors. I would be looking to replace the whole pipe though as the cost is minimal and you would have 2 less joints.

Cheers for that. It's not the cost that bothers me but the effort of having to replace the whole run with what seems pretty inflexible pipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Can't you coil the pipe into a container of hot water to make it bendy and go where you want it to?

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Andy,
Try connecting the new pipe to the old pipe and then slowly pull it through.:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have used plumbers toffee tape in the past,and it works.Get it from any builders merchants.Just wrap it round the break,burst, and leave it.It never sets hard but is completly waterproof.Always carry some in the RV incase of leaks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
atakd

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Problem sorted. It wasn't a burst pipe but a plug of ice that melted and let the freshly filled hot water tank drain out through the open valve:Blush: If I hadn't been parked in mud at the time I might have spent a bit more effort in diagnosing this. Thanks for all suggestions - you never know when they'll come in handy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back