LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You are making a fabulous job of that. When it's all done it's pat on the back time and a sigh of relief.

OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
You are making a fabulous job of that. When it's all done it's pat on the back time and a sigh of relief.
Seems like i've been at it so long now i'm not sure i can remember how the water heater and bench seat go back:confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
It looks frightening to me, I have to salute you personally for getting stuck in, some great advice from fellow funsters who as always are here to help... Keep up the good work, and keep us posted with progress... You must be saving yourself a lot of £s by doing this - and at least of all you know whats been done !

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks like you are progressing well. By the time you finish you will have gained a lot of knowledge and be more confident.
I wish there were DIY classes held so we could learn these skills.
One day you can look back and say... I did it.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks better already just for tidying up the debris, I bet you feel a lot more confident about it now ! (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wish there were DIY classes held so we could learn these skills

It's also good to know what the underwear is like so to speak - that way we would know what can and can't be done with regards to fitting "extras" without causing a lot of damage.

I am sure a lot of stuff isn't too difficult to swap out and requires patience and persistence rather than brute force or a degree in rocket science. I know that @Dawn no idea! would appreciate a class and / or some help. Even those of us who can't do DIY have other skills, including making tea and washing up!

I vaguely remember that somewhere I lived there was a fully equipped workshop people could rent and I thought that was a brilliant idea. In Glendale there is a project called "the man shed" where gentlemen without jobs (either retired or not working for other reasons) are able to get together and make / fix stuff. There is girlie stuff in another unit so we aren't left out!

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
The worst thing about doing mine (ongoing) was the smell as I remove the soggy and rotten material and the fact that it was an iceberg effect of damage. It just went on and on, and all because a previous repair was by `Bodge it and Scarper`. Soul destroying at first but as you progress pride takes over. Mine is on hold as I am moving home, kids to change schools, and all the associated rigmarole. Keep going it is always worth it .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You are doing a great job, did a similar job on a Lunna Caravan years ago. One tip when you glue the wall boards back on make sure you support the outside walls or you will end up with a nice curved wall, on the caravan I put it down the side of my garage and braced the outside with sheets of ply with timber battens to the garage wall , then when I braced the inside, the wall stayed flat (almost).

OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Looks like you are progressing well. By the time you finish you will have gained a lot of knowledge and be more confident.
I wish there were DIY classes held so we could learn these skills.
One day you can look back and say... I did it.
Funny thing is a couple of weeks ago i thought "bloody van" and just wanted shot of it but now it starting to feel like it's really my van and something special to me.
Sounds corny i know but it's a great feeling:D

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That's a lovely thing and not corny at all . You will have put blood sweat and tears ( well hopefully not blood) into the job and you can be very proud of her!(y) Has she a name?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
"The Van "is going to be great after all your hard work!

OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Been a bit lazy last few days but have almost finished putting wood and glass fibre were needed also resealed the join down that side of van on outside:)
Anyone know where in sussex i can get my water heater checked for leaks? Do they pressure check it to find any cracks and if so could i just take it to a plumber?
Thanks Pete

Attachments

• 20160528_195719.jpg
    20160528_195719.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20160528_195726.jpg
    20160528_195726.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 90
  • 20160528_195736.jpg
    20160528_195736.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20160528_195803.jpg
    20160528_195803.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 87
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Thank's for sharing your experience with us,it makes me at least not as weary to even look to see if I have any similar problems.........
But not just yet!
Martin(y)

OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Thank's for sharing your experience with us,it makes me at least not as weary to even look to see if I have any similar problems.........
But not just yet!
Martin(y)
Thanks Martin(y)

I would say if you can do it yourself, do it! It could save you 100's of pounds.

I had built up in my mind that it was a job just to much for me until a mate who's very practical convinced me i was capable of tackling it, and if i hit a problem we could just work it out!
Now if the damp was higher up behind the cupboards and they had to come out i don't think i could have tackled it. Luckily it's just in a small area thats not too hard to get to(y)

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
You can take a great deal of pride in a good well done. Keep up the good work. I admire you as I put our van into dealers to get damp repaired.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you a doing a brilliant diy job on the repair. one bit of advice is the pay a lot of attention to cutting the curved pieces of wood for the corners of the window. without proper support the rubbers distort and quickly leak again.
its easy to mark up the curve with the window out, then glue and screw it in place, ideally followed with a thin layer of fibreglass and resin to make it waterproof. you see that construction in real high quality expensive motorhomes but cheaper makers cut corners (no pun) and just leave bare wood to save money on the build

then move onto the floor and inject resin into the plywood a little further into the van than was water stained. this prevents delamination later as the wood contracts and waterproofs it against future possible leaks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back