Rental Income Help... (1 Viewer)

D

d2debs

Deleted User
Firstly.. hello everyone.. this is my first post on here and i'm afraid it's some advice/help that i could do with ! :RollEyes:

Does anyone know anything about companies that rent your motorhome out for you ??

Mainly the company that we are looking at are called Motorholme.com

Any advice etc., would be very welcomed.. :)

Kind Regards
debs
~X~

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Do you really want to Hire your van out ?. I hired a 6 month old van with 10000 miles on the clock, and the stains, broken catches, curtain rails hanging off, showed me how a van could be abused in a short period of time. The company I hired it from closed down shortly afterwards as I believe 3 Hirers stole vans, and word had it that the Police / Insurers did not want to know as permission had been given to the people to use the vans.

David

B

Black Betty

Deleted User
I sold cars for a living for 20 years and true, if a car was stolen on a test drive they had nothing in their power to chase it upas permission was given to drive the car. My wife and I are actually looking at hiring a motorhome just the way you have mentioned and contacted Motorholme. I think all hirers should have decent references from a company letterhead in order to hire another persons motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
I hired through Motorholme and, apart from their incessant mailing of offers etc they were fine from a hirers perspective.

I spoke at length with the actual owner of the van we hired (we have become friends) and he continues to be happy with the arrangements.

A couple of his hires had caused some damage (low branch and parking scrape) but he said that Motorholme aranged repairs immediately and with no problems

He has been using them for a couple of years and is happy with their service

I know some people get very attached to their vans and don't want other people (strangers) using their shower or lavatory - I can understand that but don't they ever use hotels or have house guests?

Ultimately it's your decision but in my experience Motorholme seems to be a reputable and well established business

OP
OP
D

d2debs

Deleted User
Do you really want to Hire your van out ?. I hired a 6 month old van with 10000 miles on the clock, and the stains, broken catches, curtain rails hanging off, showed me how a van could be abused in a short period of time. The company I hired it from closed down shortly afterwards as I believe 3 Hirers stole vans, and word had it that the Police / Insurers did not want to know as permission had been given to the people to use the vans.

David

Hi David..

firstly thanx for taking the time to reply .. :)

yes, we do want to rent the van out.. mainly so that we can keep it, if you know what i mean.. we bought the van with the intention of going to france viewing property to buy.. we've been once.. but want to go again a few times, before we buy anything! Therefore we need to keep it, we'd buy a smaller cheaper one if it was just the 2 of us.. but we have 2 kids under 3 also to consider.

We are looking into what would happen *if* the van should be stolen.. *fingers crossed* there will be cover for this, i mean surely actual car/van hire companies have cover for this kind of thing ??

thanx again for your reply..

:)
debs
~X~

OP
OP
D

d2debs

Deleted User
I sold cars for a living for 20 years and true, if a car was stolen on a test drive they had nothing in their power to chase it upas permission was given to drive the car. My wife and I are actually looking at hiring a motorhome just the way you have mentioned and contacted Motorholme. I think all hirers should have decent references from a company letterhead in order to hire another persons motorhome.

Hi Black Betty..

Wow, that's astonishing.. surely there must be some kind of cover for that ???

It would be very interesting to know what kind of details/references Motorholme have asked you for as a hirer ??

If you have the time, i'd be very grateful to know.. :)

many thanx for your reply.. :)

regards
debs
~X~

OP
OP
D

d2debs

Deleted User
I hired through Motorholme and, apart from their incessant mailing of offers etc they were fine from a hirers perspective.

I spoke at length with the actual owner of the van we hired (we have become friends) and he continues to be happy with the arrangements.

A couple of his hires had caused some damage (low branch and parking scrape) but he said that Motorholme aranged repairs immediately and with no problems

He has been using them for a couple of years and is happy with their service

I know some people get very attached to their vans and don't want other people (strangers) using their shower or lavatory - I can understand that but don't they ever use hotels or have house guests?

Ultimately it's your decision but in my experience Motorholme seems to be a reputable and well established business

hi there Harley Dave ! :)

Well you have put my mind at rest for a couple of things, repairs, service etc.,

Would you do me a HUGE FAVOUR.. could you ask your friend to email me *if* he has the time.. just to answer a few queries/concerns that we have !??

It really would be helpful to get a *hirers* point of view.. and also even better that he uses Motorholme.. :)

my email is .. d2debs@yahoo.com

Oh and i agree.. that Motorholme do EMAIL INCESSANTLY !! lol

As for being attached and not wanting people to use the shower/toilet etc.,

NOPE.. not bothered at all .. everything is cleanable!!

Thanx ever so much for your VERY HELPFUL reply :)

Kind Regards
debs
~X~

OP
OP
D

d2debs

Deleted User
sorry.. one other question i wanted to ask..

does anyone know if you can use more than 1 company to hire out your van on your behalf??

thanx again
debs
~X~

xploreit

Free Member
Nov 27, 2007
Funster No
Rental Income Help

Hi, We began hiring out motorhomes last year. We take great steps to ensure that our hirers are "good". That is we take id, passport, license, utility bill, to ensure people are who they say they are. We also take £1000 deposit before any body can drive away with one of our Motorhomes. We also fit trackers to our vans, which I can either text, or look on line and find out wherever they are. saying that, I have turned people away, because it didn't "feel right". If anybody wants to hire out their motorhome with us, I'd be more than happy to talk to them. You can call me on 08458386228 or email me at: jenny@xplore-it-uk.com
Hiring out your motorhome can be a risk, but if you are cautious about who you hire to, you shouldn't have any problems.

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
hi there Harley Dave ! :)

Well you have put my mind at rest for a couple of things, repairs, service etc.,

Would you do me a HUGE FAVOUR.. could you ask your friend to email me *if* he has the time.. just to answer a few queries/concerns that we have !??

It really would be helpful to get a *hirers* point of view.. and also even better that he uses Motorholme.. :)

my email is .. d2debs@yahoo.com

Oh and i agree.. that Motorholme do EMAIL INCESSANTLY !! lol

As for being attached and not wanting people to use the shower/toilet etc.,

NOPE.. not bothered at all .. everything is cleanable!!

Thanx ever so much for your VERY HELPFUL reply :)

Kind Regards
debs
~X~

Hi Debs

I will pass your email to Daz and ask him to make contact with you - no promises mind, he is busy remodelling his house right now and is very busy - but I'll ask.

You asked generally if you could use more than one agency at a time - I don't see why not - you would just have to tell agency A that the van is not available if agency B has got you a hirer

More complicated to keep tabs on what is happening - but it would be up to you.

Cheers

Dave

OP
OP
D

d2debs

Deleted User
Hi, We began hiring out motorhomes last year. We take great steps to ensure that our hirers are "good". That is we take id, passport, license, utility bill, to ensure people are who they say they are. We also take £1000 deposit before any body can drive away with one of our Motorhomes. We also fit trackers to our vans, which I can either text, or look on line and find out wherever they are. saying that, I have turned people away, because it didn't "feel right". If anybody wants to hire out their motorhome with us, I'd be more than happy to talk to them. You can call me on 08458386228 or email me at: jenny@xplore-it-uk.com
Hiring out your motorhome can be a risk, but if you are cautious about who you hire to, you shouldn't have any problems.

Hi there

great idea about the trackers.. will look into that.. :)

i've made a note of your email and will let *hubby* know about your company also.. :)

thanx for your reply also :)

regards
debs
~X~

OP
OP
D

d2debs

Deleted User
Hi Debs

I will pass your email to Daz and ask him to make contact with you - no promises mind, he is busy remodelling his house right now and is very busy - but I'll ask.

You asked generally if you could use more than one agency at a time - I don't see why not - you would just have to tell agency A that the van is not available if agency B has got you a hirer

More complicated to keep tabs on what is happening - but it would be up to you.

Cheers

Dave

Many thanx Dave.. i appreciate you doing that and also understand that he may not respond as he sounds like he has just a *bit* of work to do !! lol

We thought about that possibility of using more than one agency and are at the moment undecided... we will probably get a diary to keep track of everything. :)

thanx again for your help... it's really appreciated :)

regards
debs
~X~

R

richard

Deleted User
Hi All
have been reading your articles re motorhome private hire through agencies very interesting, did you know that you have to have an LPG safety certificate yearly I believe anyway have had it all checked out and now have one cost approx £60 plus advisable to have breakdown cover roadside assistance and recovery another £90 , now thinking of purchaseing a scooter/cycle rack cost approx £700 +the dreaded TVA sorry VAT same thing, the idea of the scooter rack is if hired out to inexpierienced reversers of vehicles as their are plenty the damage could be more expensive with out a carrier.
Meantime have gathered some info from 2 different agencies re earnings one lot is all of booking fee the other is %75 of booking fee but can hire out sheets linnen blankets to the customer plus various other items plus out of pocket expenses the other lot all inclusive so gather it as being not much of a difference,at end of day.
Any advice would be good and of course any thing else.
cheers richard

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi Theres a company on the caravan channel sky 167 they do hire seeLink Removed

ray:Smile: welcome to the site

JAY KAY

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Shotgate, Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
15+
I have used "Leisure hire UK" for the last two years to hire out our Motorhome and have been more than pleased with the service we have received. With this company we have the final say if we will accept the hirers before we take the booking deposit, some other companies pass the booking on to you and take the deposit and if the hirer cancells they keep the deposit leaving you with nothing but a blank few weeks and motorholme is one of them. Try Leisure hire UK their web site is:- Motorhome & Camper Hire Uk - Home
Hope that helps.

John D.

R

richard

Deleted User
Thank you for your replies, as you can guess am new at this hireing out MHs think its a great idea but unfortunatly their are companies that will ripp you off if not carefull, I would like to know which ones are the best to deal with .
Have contacted last 2 recomendations that were kindly given through this forum I thank you for these but would like to know more contacts , cheers for now richard

R

richard

Deleted User
rental income

Hi all
Have now found out the hard way of which MH private hire companies to be avoided ( basically most ) had recently been invited by motorhomesuk based in yorkshire to let them hire my motorhomes through them and they in turn would get bookings for me arrange insurance vet the hirer etc pay any damage done through the customers deposit lodged with them and I in turn would recieve 60% of the hire , my first and only hire with them was a total disaster they sent me a couple for a weeks hire they moaned before they took it they moaned after getting it because they obviously hadnt listened to my explaining to them of how everything worked as got a phone call from the person saying couldnt get hot water so sorted that just by telling him how to operate it easy peasy then they returned moaned yet again about how tired they were etc and no didnt enjoy theyre week whilst they were unloading theyre things I ispected the MH found a dent in rear plastics plus marker light missing then got inside to find door off, window latch dislocated, and a door knob pulled off, theyre excuse was it was like that when they got it from me my retort was no it wasnt as you your self signed this inspection form to say that everything on the mh was ok plus the mileage was way over the average , after they went I started MH to move it and found to my horror hardly any clutch pedal left couldnt believe it the man had obviously ridden the clutch pedal as the pedal rubber was all shiney were his foot must have been resting , i complained to Mhsuk and they in turn asked for an estimate which i gave them then they informed me that the client also complained about the state of my MH and that nothing had been supplied in the MH not even a tin opener thus was theyre excuse for not paying out for the repairs . Another company to avoid are motorholme . com they dont tell theyre customers of change nor do they compensate for loss of hire if for some reason or other the customer cancelles , so be warned if hireing your MH privately best is do it yourself or use a great company called Motorhome & Camper Hire Uk - Home theyre realy good plus have personal contact with you .

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

If you lend, hire a vehicle out you get the borrower/hirer to sign a form with their details and the vehicles details together with an agreement to be repsonsibkle for all parking, speeding and other fines,

PLUS staing the period the vehilce is lent. borrowed or hired for stating a specific date and time the vehicle must be returned by

If they do not return it by that date they are no longer having in in their possession with your permission.

(you should never let someone test drive your vehicle without you being in it)

End of story

Peter

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We did a try "before you buy" through motorholme and found them Ok apart from the change that they made in the 'van. As is turned out it was a good one as the people we hired from were lovely and really helpful, but hte condition of the van was a bit poor - only niggly things but all damage caused by previous hirers. Shame, it was a nice'van. They really appreciated the thorough clean and eveything that we did on returning it.

Personally, we would never ever hire our our van to someone else - most people just don't care about other poeple's property - luckily we can afford to leave our 'van on the drive and use it ourselves only.

All the best

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back