Rent before we buy - a couple of questions (1 Viewer)

Sadie1970

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
New
We have decided to rent a Bailey Autograph 765 from Days in Swansea for 4 days in March to try it out before we buy.

The information about what is included in the vehicle is non existent on the website, When I asked what was included I was emailed the checklist used when you pick up the vehicle which is very basic and doesn't include anything like TV etc.

Are there any essential things that you couldn't be without that I should check whether they are available? This is our very first trip in a Motorhome and I really want it to go well so it doesn't put us off buying one.

We are thinking of trying a couple of sites around Tenby/St David's, although we like the idea of very small quiet places when we have our own Motorhome, I think we need all the support, hook ups etc that a bigger site will offer for our first trip.

Why do different sites have different types of electric hook up? Will it make a difference to what type of things we can run on electricity?

Do you have any advice for us first timers?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi
You need to find out if equipped like a holiday home with basic equipment all provided.
Someone on this forum has posted a link to their checklist spreadsheet which might contain too many things but would be a starting point to check with the hiring company.
I will see if I can find it.

Upvote 0

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Who did you rent it from? Can you pay them a visit and check it out first hand to see what's there?

You need to make sure it comes with all the basics like a kettle, plates, cutlery etc!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
IMHO, a TV is only required if the weather is foul. We bought one for our 'van but have only used it a few times. Not only do we tend to have limited TV signals where we tend to go, but we tend to find that we are too busy or chilled to watch TV. I don't think that we would buy one again if we were starting out.

As for electrical hookups, what do you want to power? We only have a 90mAh battery but can easily last 3 days without moving ... unless you want to run lots of power hungry devices or it is very cold, you might find that you don't need a hookup.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I've just found it but it is far too long and detailed for your requirements as you are only having a short uk stay.
Check with the company about the basics as above and then ask about the provision of an electric hook up cable (only one type in uk but sometimes different amperage provided by the site but don't worry about that).
You will also need to know about cleaning stuff for the sink (washing up) and for the chemical toilet. Ask for a starter pack.
Take some disposable gloves for your own use if you think you might be delicate when emptying the loo.
Do ask for help with this task from someone on site, it's not difficult but easier if someone shows you.
Same goes for adding fresh water and emptying waste, much easier when shown how and where.

The great thing is that there will always be someone around on site only too willing to help. Most MH have similar systems.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The guys that we used to rent from included everything, and when I say everything, I do mean everything.
There was crockery, cutlery glassware, cooking utensils and they even provided a "welcome pack" as they called it, which was essentials like j-cloths and washing up liquid. Essentially the only thing we had to provide was food.
To give you an idea, it was these guys: http://www.abacusmotorhomes.co.uk/ have a look at the hire section, and then the "what's included" part. That would be my personal bare minimum! :D
We have stayed in a few places in Tenby and absolutely loved it, we went up to Pembroke Castle, and did all the touristy stuff. It was quite wet on our first visit though.
The only different type of hookup are how much power is available. In the UK you generally have 16amp hookups, which are good for everything, as long as you don't crank the heating up to 2.5kw and plug in a kettle and then turn on a hair drier! :D You may find that the more modern hookups need you to plug into the post, and then twist the plug to switch it on. Remember plug in the van end first, then the post! (your hire company should also provide a hook up lead)

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You might want to take camping chairs and a fold up table for some alfresco dining if warm weather. Always nice to sit outside if possible.
The worst thing is to be uncomfortable at night so make sure you take warm and comfy bedding and your own pillows.
Have you ever been camping?

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
They're going to Wales in Winter! :whistle:

Lucky them :)

We've had 3 fortnight long trips over Easters in Scotland and only watched the TV for 2 days when it was terrible weather and it was used to keep the kids entertained while it was pouring with rain / hailing. It was a cosy experience but as adults, we would have been fine reading etc.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The information about what is included in the vehicle is non existent on the website, When I asked what was included I was emailed the checklist used when you pick up the vehicle
Can you post the list they sent you on here? - then we can advise you better about whether or not it's adequate, & what else you might need for your short break.
I assume you're aware that you need a C1 licence for the 765.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Someone on here had a new bailey, which due to a design fault on the rear of the van let in water. They have since changed to a hymer.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We hired twice before buying a good way of finding out what works for you.
Both vans we hired came without any equipment, we hired in Germany but cost less than half the price of hiring in the UK.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I would make a list of things you want to ask about & then ring the hire co to ask if they're included.
You will need toilet chemicals, electric hook-up cable & maybe levelling Ramos although if you're going to a proper site it should be level enough.
Really you need to know about, bedding, crockery, pots & pans, kettle. Probably best to take your own towels & pillows!
But just have fun, you can always ask for help from fellow campers or wardens.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We rented before we bought. The MH was fully equipped down to washing up liquid and toilet paper. There was also a folder with comprehensive instructions of all systems and equipment. Also, we were given a detailed handover.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For four days you don't need anything but the basics - bedding, plates, KFS, pans etc. During your 4 days you can start listing the extras you want when you buy your own MH. :)

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We also rented from Abacus Rentals before buying. Very pleased with the brand new (daunting!) Motorhome and the level of equipment and service from Abacus.
A couple of things:
1. We actually hired a Motorhome model that a few weeks earlier we had nearly bought - not the same van but exactly the same model. When considering buying we were impressed with the 'bling' and features of the van. When actually using the hire van we decided that the layout and that particular van was not suited to us. This 'testing' of a van saved us spending over £40k! We eventually bought 'Hetty' an older Hymer B584 for £18k which we loved.
2. We decided to go to Cornwall to try out the hired Motorhome - this had consequences! We hadn't realised (naively) how narrow the roads are in Cornwall, particularly when driving a brand new Motorhome and not wanting to rub branches down it's length! It made us think that size actually does matter!!
Have fun, you'll enjoy the whole experience - we're now on our second van and loving it.
:cold:

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
If its hire it may not have a leisure battery ,your electrics may run off the engine battery which is what happened to ourselves when we hired a motorhome before buying, it was some years ago but we did manage to totally flatten the battery in France.Ask the dealer to show you how everything works.And above all enjoy lol.

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We also rented from Abacus Rentals before buying. Very pleased with the brand new (daunting!) Motorhome and the level of equipment and service from Abacus.

We did the same, very impressed with the Motorhome & equipment and the level of customer service, both of which were outstanding. (y)

We decided to go to Cornwall to try out the hired Motorhome - this had consequences! We hadn't realised (naively) how narrow the roads are in Cornwall, particularly when driving a brand new Motorhome and not wanting to rub branches down it's length! It made us think that size actually does matter!

It's not just dual carriageways that have grass down the middle in Cornwall.
Having said that, we happily fly around the Cornish (and Devonshire) lanes in a 8.5m tag axle Motorhome and rarely find ourselves in a position that causes concern. It helps if you drive like a native and accept that the tarmac is only there for guidance, that the grass verge or field gateway forms part of the road network and the main role of a wing mirror is to let you know how close to the hedge you are! :)

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's not just dual carriageways that have grass down the middle in Cornwall.
How true :D
It helps if you drive like a native and accept that the tarmac is only there for guidance, that the grass verge or field gateway forms part of the road network and the main role of a wing mirror is to let you know how close to the hedge you are! :)
..... only potential difficulty with that advice is, driving like a native includes driving AT 60 in the MIDDLE of single-track roads on HAIRPIN BENDS. Now if you're BOTH doing that ..... voice of experience
Broken Link Removed
Verges and gateways of course have to be used (and on occasion going right into a field) but beware of ditches in the verge. And of cows.
upload_2017-1-6_9-39-8.png

Also be aware that Cornish hedges are made of unforgiving stone, carefully camouflaged to look like bramble, grass, weeds etc
upload_2017-1-6_9-37-10.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sadie1970

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
New
Thanks all for your good advice. It is because there was no detail on the Days website that I had to ask the question of both them and you.

I am not so bothered about how many spoons there are, more concerned that we have all the important equipment like hook-up cable etc. I am worried that there may be something we have no idea about and therefore won't ask the question.
The list of equipment Days have sent me is; Level Ramps, Hook Up Cable, Water Pipe & Spanner, Warning Triangle, Fire Blanket & Extinguisher, Canopy Centre Pole and Canopy Rod.

I know most of you don't watch TV but each to their own. We love to walk and talk all day then settle down and watch a film or some TV with a glass of wine in the evening (we are not big pub goers). Days have told me that the TV has a DVD, HDMI and USB so I am sure we will be well catered for by downloading something to watch in advance in case ther is no TV signal or WIFI.

You have all been so helpful, I am reassured that there will be people to ask for advice. Can you all 'virtually' come along on our holiday?

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks all for your good advice. It is because there was no detail on the Days website that I had to ask the question of both them and you.

I am not so bothered about how many spoons there are, more concerned that we have all the important equipment like hook-up cable etc. I am worried that there may be something we have no idea about and therefore won't ask the question.
The list of equipment Days have sent me is; Level Ramps, Hook Up Cable, Water Pipe & Spanner, Warning Triangle, Fire Blanket & Extinguisher, Canopy Centre Pole and Canopy Rod.

I know most of you don't watch TV but each to their own. We love to walk and talk all day then settle down and watch a film or some TV with a glass of wine in the evening (we are not big pub goers). Days have told me that the TV has a DVD, HDMI and USB so I am sure we will be well catered for by downloading something to watch in advance in case ther is no TV signal or WIFI.

You have all been so helpful, I am reassured that there will be people to ask for advice. Can you all 'virtually' come along on our holiday?

Just as an addition; we do watch TV when we are at home but typically find that when we are in our MH, we don't. For us, it is a different life ...

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can you all 'virtually' come along on our holiday?
Well of course we'd all love to...
Thing is, once you get on-site if you have ANY questions you can either ask on here (if you have a connection) or ask other motorhomers or the site wardens - there will always be someone more than happy to give advice or physical help, or to lend you anything you need, or sit & have a drink & a chat with you. It's a great community.
Have a lovely time, whenever and wherever you go; I'm sure you won't be put off buying!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You have some important stuff, and some totally pointless stuff (for the UK). You may wish to ask about toilet chemicals! It's a horrid job, but it does need to be done! You aren't going to need the awning stuff so you can ignore that, the level ramps, probably. The hookup cable will be essential, all rental vans are on dealer spec, so they'll only have one small leisure battery, they can go about 2 days with no power, and they have been abused, so possibly less! It should also have a smoke detector if they are renting it out, but that is an aside!
The usual with a rental is, you return it in the condition you collected it, so water full, toilet empty, and reasonably clean inside. Sounds like you have the basics to go out and explore. Have fun! :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back