Renewing travel insurance - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Our annual travel insurance with LV is due- was thinking of letting it lapse as not going anywhere soon. Looking briefly at net it seems several companies are not accepting new applications for travel .
New premium has gone up ( quell surprise!) now undecided as to whether renewal is good idea in case can’t get a new policy later in year . Any advice ? ( and no we wouldn’t go without it 😄😄) TIA as the young apparently say .

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
i retained the basic cover with our account which is "free" but not the paid extensions, these we will add again when we are able to travel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Polar bear said, Nationwide current account gives free travel insurance !

But does not cover existing medical problems without paying extra premium !!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Why pay premiums for a product you cannot use. Maybe later the offer will be better, once you've been vaccinated and the EHIC situation becomes clearer. Maybe France will through another hissy fit and not allow us through Calais, who knows best buy when needed and start the 12 month clock ticking from there.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Nationwide current account gives free travel insurance

Nationwide does not appear to give free travel insurance to new joiners. The PLUS account does, but it is not free

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We will let ours lapse, (January), and then take out a new policy when we are eventually allowed to travel again. Who knows what may happen in the next few months, new mutation etc.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Without the benefit of hindsight who knows but I suspect that if anything drastic happens we won't be able to travel anyway if things get better premiums could even drop. I would take it out when needed although we usually rely on our nationwide account.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all for considered opinions; very helpful.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Over 70 years there is a single annual supplement of £65, then other additions if you declare any relevant medical miseries

If it's a joint account and you're both 70yrs or over you only pay one payment of £65. ie. It's not £65 each.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
HSBC travel insurance finishes when your 70 and no add ons.
looking for alternative insurance at the moment is a no no due to the pandemic.
Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nationwide current account gives free travel insurance

i retained the basic cover with our account which is "free" but not the paid extensions, these we will add again when we are able to travel
These are not 'free' they are accounts with monthly premiums so as part of that premium you get some level of travel insurance, therefore you are still paying for it. None of the totally free (ie no monthly fee) accounts give free travel insurance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I cancelled our travel insurance in March 2020 as I couldn't see that we'd be able to use it, not just due to covid, but due to Romy being poorly, I therefore got a part-refund as no point in paying for it for the sake of it.

I won't take it out again until we need it as I can't see us getting away anytime soon, I can't understand 'need' to keep it going constantly unless you are due to go away very shortly (eg within the month) as it's just a waste of money, even if it goes up a bit (which it no doubt will) the money you've saved for not buying it now will likely more than offset that extra cost and the policies might be more comprehensive once Covid has been got to grips with.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
These are not 'free' they are accounts with monthly premiums so as part of that premium you get some level of travel insurance, therefore you are still paying for it. None of the totally free (ie no monthly fee) accounts give free travel insurance.
I'm with Nationwide and get premium free travel insurance. As long as a certain amount of money is paid into the account each month i.e. my salary, both my wife and I are covered. We got robbed while sleeping in Marseille two years ago and got paid out for most of our losses.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We rely on our Lloyds bank account it covers us up to 80, I just had a claim did it online they didn't even ask for recipts.
It is dearer than than NW but we only pay ½ price as the boss is a Lloyds pensioner.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm with Nationwide and get premium free travel insurance. As long as a certain amount of money is paid into the account each month i.e. my salary, both my wife and I are covered. We got robbed while sleeping in Marseille two years ago and got paid out for most of our losses.
Isn't that the Flexiplus one you pay £13 pcm for though?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Isn't that the Flexiplus one you pay £13 pcm for though?
I believe it's only available now with Flexiplus but was given to Flexdirect customers a few years back which they continue to offer providing £750 a month goes through the account. I think Flexiplus customers also get breakdown insurance which includes motorhomes so still quite a good deal.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
They appear to have taken the insurance away from the basic account for any new applicants. I would expect that they will withdraw it from the FlexAccount shortly and just keep it on the FlexPlusAccount, which costs £13/month

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
They appear to have taken the insurance away from the basic account for any new applicants. I would expect that they will withdraw it from the FlexAccount shortly and just keep it on the FlexPlusAccount, which costs £13/month
Just had our renewal through so we are good for at least a year - just hope we can get away soon!

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Thanks for your post, however we don't pay any premiums for our basic cover but I do know that nothing is free in this world and so somewhere we will be paying for the insurance. We have had this since 1992.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I believe it's only available now with Flexiplus but was given to Flexdirect customers a few years back which they continue to offer providing £750 a month goes through the account. I think Flexiplus customers also get breakdown insurance which includes motorhomes so still quite a good deal.
I suspect as much, no good to those who haven't already got it though. :cautious:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for your post, however we don't pay any premiums for our basic cover but I do know that nothing is free in this world and so somewhere we will be paying for the insurance. We have had this since 1992.
So it's because you've had the account constantly that you still have that 'perk', not available to newer account holders.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
After a "talk" with Staysure, when it transpired they wouldn't cover me for a multi-trip policy (over 70) even though their renewal paperwork explicitly said they would, I've cancelled the renewal (due today actually) and will now wait and see. It was something in the "small print" that made me call them.

May end up having to take out single trip although Saga have quoted to include all we need, albeit at a significantly higher premium than Staysure offered.

And before someone says "you should have forced them" or something similar they did agree that they would probably have covered me in the event of a claim (albeit probably under protest) as it was their error, but now I had brought it to their attention they wouldn't renew. Sorry but I don't take chances like that.

In their favour Staysure did offer me a decent discount if I took out a single trip policy, but I'm still waiting for that in writing. But research has shown, apart from the discount, single trip is the same cost as Sagas' offer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back