LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone confirm when the yearly injections are due for rabies in our yorkies ? Is it from the date of the original Rabies injection, or from the date of the rabies blood test, which was some time later.

I have misplaced the information which came with the passports and am not sure where to get a replacement, I have looked on the Defra site and cant find any information.

Ginny

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
From the date the passports issued from.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have just checked with our vets at Filey and apparently the dogs have to have a Rabis booster every year from now on. The boosters must be given before or on the day of the original injection, just one day later will result in the whole process having to be started again - including blood tests etc.

Ginny

RobMD

Free Member
Jul 4, 2008
Penarth, Vale of Glam.
Funster No
The date of vaccination is in the Pet Passport.
The validity of the vaccine is that required by the Manufacturer, and unless it has changed is normally 2 years, so yearly boosters are unecessary.
There have been incidents in France where people have been told that revaccination is yearly, but EU rules do not state this.

It is different if you are to be in a particular country for more than 6 months, when I believe you have to abide by that countries laws.
For travelling though, these are superceded by the PETS scheme regulations.

Check it out with DEFRA in case regs have changed recently.

Read this:-
Link Removed

Last edited:

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
I believe that FRANCE do, indeed, have different rules but no problems just passing through etc....
Whatever you do, do not let the rabies jab lapse (as someone I know did!!) :cry:
as having the blood tests done again is not good!! ps we have yorkies too!! Ana x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have just checked their passport and it does state August 2009!
The Defra site states that

'Booster vaccinations

After your pet has been vaccinated and blood tested with a satisfactory result, it will need booster vaccinations. These must be given by the “Valid until” date in section IV of the passport or on the PETS certificate and be recorded on the vaccination record and in section IV of the passport.
If the booster date is missed, your pet will have to be vaccinated and blood tested again. The 6 month rule will apply from the date the new blood sample is taken, provided the result is satisfactory. A vet (in Great Britain a Local Veterinary Inspector (LVI)) must complete the second box in section V of the passport. '

So why did the Vet say they must have their booster every year??

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back