Renewing driving licence at 70 without C1 (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
As I will be 70 in April & do not need C1 I applied on line to renew. A lot in the news regarding DVLA staff down with the virus so I applied early in case the Borders open in April as I will need my driving licence to travel abroad. Applied on Thursday 28th January licence delivered in the post today February 1st.

OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
No I didn’t lie, I have no health issues, don’t take any medication. Don’t need glasses to read or drive & have never driven anything that needs C1 on my licence even though I was entitled to. We have a motorhome under 3.5ton based on a Citroen Relay, no problem with street parking, very secure, can get our folding electric bikes in the garage under the fixed bed. Ideal for us but I realise would not suit everyone, each to their own. But I do not tell lies & object to be ‘supposed to have’

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
As I will be 70 in April & do not need C1 I applied on line to renew. A lot in the news regarding DVLA staff down with the virus so I applied early in case the Borders open in April as I will need my driving licence to travel abroad. Applied on Thursday 28th January licence delivered in the post today February 1st.
Wow!! Well done. (I think nicolsong was probably jesting with you) :giggle:;)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
All I can say is that you are bloody lucky ! as our motorhome is 4.25 ton I require the C1 on my licence.
I applied in November (licence ran out 23rd Jan) after have a medical by D4 drivers as recommended by a few on this forum.
Just before christmas received letter from FVLA that they were contacting my doctor as I had 3 stents four years ago.
Passed by hospital to drive after 7 days and was told my heart undamaged !!
Called my doctor to asked about the section 88 DVLA permission to drive, he advised me that he would put on my notes that "I am fit to drive" at this time he also advised me not to hold my breath in getting it back anytime soon as there are "bloody useless" he is received several applications daily plus many repeat letters with other different questions too !
Called them this morning, talked to nice lady who told it was in the system !! and I
would be informed in due course.
BTW also advised me that he was working from home and he was the second person looking at my renewal !!
So still waiting !!

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Can anyone answer this one then?
When it all settles it maybe that I may go for a non lucrative visa in Spain which is a form of retirement residency and requires me to take a Spanish driving test and effectively become tax resident etc etc
It maybe that after a few years we return to UK for whatever reason that may be and I will be over 70.
C1 stuff aside and given at age 70 if I was here under normal circumstances I effectively have to reapply for my UK licence I wonder what would happen if by the time I return here I was 72 for example and wanted a UK licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Can anyone answer this one then?
When it all settles it maybe that I may go for a non lucrative visa in Spain which is a form of retirement residency and requires me to take a Spanish driving test and effectively become tax resident etc etc
It maybe that after a few years we return to UK for whatever reason that may be and I will be over 70.
C1 stuff aside and given at age 70 if I was here under normal circumstances I effectively have to reapply for my UK licence I wonder what would happen if by the time I return here I was 72 for example and wanted a UK licence.

would it not be easier and more certain to renew your UK license at 70... not that anything is easy with the DVLA

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
I cant renew as far as I can see because I have effectively left the country to be resident in another one, albeit for just a couple of years
would it not be easier and more certain to renew your UK license at 70... not that anything is easy with the DVLA

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No I didn’t lie, I have no health issues, don’t take any medication. Don’t need glasses to read or drive & have never driven anything that needs C1 on my licence even though I was entitled to. We have a motorhome under 3.5ton based on a Citroen Relay, no problem with street parking, very secure, can get our folding electric bikes in the garage under the fixed bed. Ideal for us but I realise would not suit everyone, each to their own. But I do not tell lies & object to be ‘supposed to have’

I have only seen this today.

I was only including you with everyone who can self-certify, and having a pop at the system that allows it, thus the grin at the end of the post. JohnandI understood that. I also had a joke against those for whom the doctor might be a 'little circumspect'.

I apologise if it seemed to pick you out. But the system does seem open to abuse, by those self-deluded about their health or just do not recognise symptoms that a doctor would pick up in a medical - and those that might lie.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back