Renault Master H3 Roof (1 Viewer)

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi I have finally decided on a van it's a 64 plate L3 H3 and in good condition. I have one concern I hope you can help with. The roof is not metal but some form of plastic/fiber material. Can I cut into that to add roof fans? I also want to put solar panels on the roof? Can this be done with these non metal roof materials? Many thanks.

Deleted User
If you drill holes in the roof for the mounting brackets and bolt them on through it then yes, you can put solar panels on the roof. In fact, as long as you're not exclusively relying on glue to hold them on, you can put pretty much anything on the roof! The problem is usually more with the paint coming off the roof rather than the glue itself failing ...

As for fans/vents it depends on how much / where you are cutting: don't cut any ribs that strengthen the roof and be prepared to add bracing to replace lost strength if you cut big holes.

OP
OP
L

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Irishmick, thanks for that, I looked at dozens of camper van fan installations on youtube yesterday and they all pretty much had a metal roof, other than one or two RV's. I'm intending to add two Maxx air fans and as many solar panels as I can fit. I feel sort of negative about to whole idea at the moment, and my wife who has the casting vote is more against buying that van minute by minute. Yet when I look at the vans for sale there's a lot that have these fibre/plastic roof structures. I just might be that potential purchasers weigh up the odds and abandon the idea. The van itself is a good price, and no vat, and vans with that mileage and built the same year are £2000+ more at the trader sites. I know I have never taken so long to buy any other vehicle before and I'm gradually getting on my own nerves. Thank you again and I now know that it can be done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back