Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Afterwards suggest using plastic scraper (not metal) to get a much residue as possible off, then WD40 and rag to remove remainder. It'll take some elbow grease but it will come off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
I was wondering that too as i need to remove my skylight heiki to renew the mastic

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was wondering that too as i need to remove my skylight heiki to renew the mastic

your roof window will (hopefully) be sealed using a non setting mastic , not a PU adhesive or Sika ..

clean off as much as you can with a plastic scraper, then use white spirits on a rag to clean off the rest.

To re-seal use a non setting mastic such as Carafax IDL 99, or Hodgsons seam sealer , or W4 mastic on a roll .. find it on eBay.. it's easier to apply, no mess and you get a nice even layer (y)

Sika and other PU adhesives should never be used for sealing windows.. yet people still insist on using it.. :rolleyes:

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
your roof window will (hopefully) be sealed using a non setting mastic , not a PU adhesive or Sika ..

clean off as much as you can with a plastic scraper, then use white spirits on a rag to clean off the rest.

To re-seal use a non setting mastic such as Carafax IDL 99, or Hodgsons seam sealer , or W4 mastic on a roll .. find it on eBay.. it's easier to apply, no mess and you get a nice even layer (y)

Sika and other PU adhesives should never be used for sealing windows.. yet people still insist on using it.. :rolleyes:
Will be using W4 as i had seen others mention it for the job , thank you for the info

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you haven't got a suitable plastic scraper use an old credit/debit card and just sharpen the edge a little ... works a treat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back