Removing instrument binnacle Ducato (1 Viewer)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
OK folks, I'm totally non-technical. I have the (known fault) Cruise Control lights issue - only 2 1/2 years old so Fiat may repair foc out of warranty. But the local Fiat Professional garage charge £89 for diagnostics, which isn't refunded if Fiat don't accept responsibility!

So it seems a lot more sensible to just send it off to Cartronix for £150.

But their instructions just say "Remove the instrument cluster." Can anyone give me foolproof instructions how to do so?

Thanks

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
OK folks, I'm totally non-technical. I have the (known fault) Cruise Control lights issue - only 2 1/2 years old so Fiat may repair foc out of warranty. But the local Fiat Professional garage charge £89 for diagnostics, which isn't refunded if Fiat don't accept responsibility!

But their instructions just say "Remove the instrument cluster." Can anyone give me foolproof instructions how to do so?

Thanks
It will end in tears ...... take a punt, risk the potential of £89 and sleep well in your bed at night

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
It just wants clearing on a plug in reader.
Did it on mine.
Local garage cleared it for £40
Can’t see sending the speedo off clearing the fault imo :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Thanks
Is it a UK company built motorhome? If so, you should have a 3 year warranty on it.
If not and only a 2 year warranty, I would suggest you call FIAT direct and discuss with them basing your conversation around "known fault".
They have replaced ours twice.
If no joy with them Carttronix is probably your best option.

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Is it a UK company built motorhome? If so, you should have a 3 year warranty on it.
If not and only a 2 year warranty, I would suggest you call FIAT direct and discuss with them basing your conversation around "known fault".
They have replaced ours twice.
If no joy with them Carttronix is probably your best option.
It is non-uk manufacture so is out of warranty - I did ring Fiat, and did have the “known fault” discussion but they said it would have to be diagnosed by a dealer first. If the dealers report meant they’d accept it as a known issue, they would repair foc out of warranty.
What put me off is Local Fiat Pro dealer first saying they’d not come across the issue before, & their diagnostic charge is £89. So if it ended in Fiat refusing to deal with it foc, it costs £89 to find that out.! And be no further forward.

So did you manage to get Fiat to accept it as a known fault without dealer diagnosis, or were you within their warranty?

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
It just wants clearing on a plug in reader.
Did it on mine.
Local garage cleared it for £40
Can’t see sending the speedo off clearing the fault imo :)
There are lots of posts on a range of forums around this fault, and most say if out of warranty Cartronix is best bet - £150, compared to £800-900 for Fiat replacement unit. I hadn’t heard sorting it on a plug in reader before - was that the “extra lights with cruise control on” fault?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Should be easy - there are two torque screws deep in side two holes in the binacle holding it at the top. It then slides forward. I think!:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't believe using a code reader can repair and replace the cheap faulty components fitted in the binnacle. cartronix replace the LEDs, some resistors and the guages and give a lifetime warranty on their work

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It is non-uk manufacture so is out of warranty - I did ring Fiat, and did have the “known fault” discussion but they said it would have to be diagnosed by a dealer first. If the dealers report meant they’d accept it as a known issue, they would repair foc out of warranty.
What put me off is Local Fiat Pro dealer first saying they’d not come across the issue before, & their diagnostic charge is £89. So if it ended in Fiat refusing to deal with it foc, it costs £89 to find that out.! And be no further forward.

So did you manage to get Fiat to accept it as a known fault without dealer diagnosis, or were you within their warranty?
First time was within warranty but second was a couple of months over 3 years (from memory). Both occasions mechanic opened the door, turned the ignition on, turned it off, stepped out and said "known fault", new console required. Might have been because I mentioned it to him on our way over to van?
Service reception "advised" I should speak with FIAT directly given second replacement which I duly did and they replaced foc again.
My understanding is they only plug in OBD to set the new console to the readings from the old one, eg mileage.
I sat in the van on second occasion and it took them less than 30 minutes to replace and reprogramme. From memory, it's a couple of screws up under the binnacle cowl and the unit slides towards you but don't quote me on that. (edit - as @Stealaway says!)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
There is another thread about removing the panel and Dave Newell said once it’s removed DO NOT switch the ignition on until it’s replaced.

John.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I don't believe using a code reader can repair and replace the cheap faulty components fitted in the binnacle. cartronix replace the LEDs, some resistors and the guages and give a lifetime warranty on their work
When they did mine, the cruise control was intermittent, not engaging some times. They just deleted the error code, reset and it’s working fine now for over 2 years.
I don’t do wires n pliers, just hammers n spanner’s:);)

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Just spoken to another more helpful Fiat Pro dealer. They were well aware of the issue, but their most recent experience on a van 3 months out of warranty with the same issue is that Fiat offered a “good will” gesture of half price! This surprised them, but would make it nearly 3x the price of Cartronix...

I’m not sufficiently confident to remove the panel myself but will try to persuade local garage to come & remove/refit it.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I think the top cover is just clipped on, remove that and you can see the two torx screws holding the speedo in. Remove them, then remove the plug in connections.
I’ll try look tomorrow

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is a 5 min job to remove:-
Remove the 2 Torx screws at the front of the binnacle, then pull the cover up & forward from the rear, remove the 2 Torx screws that hold the cluster in, unplug the loom and lift out.
Take care not to lose the rubber grommets on the locating pins at the bottom.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
My local dealer did not charge me for the diagnostics so long as I had it fixed there.

My van was 2.5 years old don't ask the dealer to contact fiat do it direct yourself.

My dealer wasn't willing to put their selves out to get any deal with fiat.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I think the top cover is just clipped on, remove that and you can see the two torx screws holding the speedo in. Remove them, then remove the plug in connections.
I’ll try look tomorrow
@Lenny HB is right. 5 mins to remove ;)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Our van supplier (Lowdhams) Had never heard of any dash problems then again I don't think they are clever enough to remove the dash(n) I have just put the last of the problems right myself after they had three attempts at it.:mad::mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back