Removing dried sap with clay (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As my van never seemed to have that shiny finish, even after a good Autoglym resin wax, I tried using a polishing clay block. It turned out to be easier than expected and the results were an improvement although I never heard the initial rough sound you are supposed to hear. What did work well, was the removal of last years dried on sap from trees I had parked under while sheltering from the hot sun.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Get the clay nice and soft first, by manipulating it your hands, and get it nice and warm. then lots of lubricant, rub on the surface, and you should feel the abrasion as it picks up all the junk from your paintwork! A good way to tell that you did it right, look at the clay surface after rubbing, you should have dirty streaks in it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I like the sound of clay bars to get the gunge off BUT should I use one as the new van has Diamondbrite paint protection? I am thinking that the protection should make it easy to remove marks anyway and that a clay bar might take the protection itself off.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Diamondbrite is a sealant, how effective it is is up for debate, a lot depends on how good the preparation of the paintwork was and if it was applied correctly. If you use strong cleaners, clay, or abrasive polish on it you will remove it.

You should have a maintenance package with it, shampoo and conserver, best to just use that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back