Removing carnuba wax (1 Viewer)

Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all,I need some advice on how to remove Harley Wax ( 100% carnuba wax) from my black plastic trim?
(Scuttle vent, mirror casings,radiator grill.!) I followed the advice from a fellow funster who said it was okay to use it on paint work and the trim! After doing this and giving it a good buffing it has now turned the black plastic a streaky white and have tried car wash and very hot water to no avail?
Anybody with a solution would be great fully appreciated as the lady of the house I.e The Boss is not very happy with me😡😤🤬😩
Thanks Stuart.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hi all,I need some advice on how to remove Harley Wax ( 100% carnuba wax) from my black plastic trim?
(Scuttle vent, mirror casings,radiator grill.!) I followed the advice from a fellow funster who said it was okay to use it on paint work and the trim! After doing this and giving it a good buffing it has now turned the black plastic a streaky white and have tried car wash and very hot water to no avail?
Anybody with a solution would be great fully appreciated as the lady of the house I.e The Boss is not very happy with me😡😤🤬😩
Thanks Stuart.
They must have changed it, I put it on everything plastic and it's great, it's like 'Back to Black'. Bought mine in 2014 though 🤔

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Thanks Stuart.
Just goes to show one must be very careful to follow advice given by some Funsters on this forum..
..I have read a lot of dubious advice given which I felt very suspect and mainly the reason is to save a few pennies instead of splashing out and paying for recommended products.
Yes there may be cheaper alternatives out there but as in OP"s case....Not Always

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Did the same thing and used a heat gun. 3 months in and still perfect. Real test is when the temperature drops another few degrees but still hopeful. Thinking out loud(never a good idea) perhaps it's the wax after crystallising on the black plastic which has a textured surface. Covering those crystals with something that wears off is not going to have a long term solution.

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Try cheap smooth peanut butter or anything with high palm oil content.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What you have must be fake or a bad batch or something. This is from their Q and A page..

Screenshot_20200909-111503_Opera.jpg

OP
OP
S
Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Thank to you all for your helpful tips will try some of them . Boiling water has also been suggested as it may melt the wax and wash it away?

OP
OP
S
Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Richard I did get the same item as you and I even emailed the seller and asked him if it would turn white on plastic and he didn’t say it would either ,as you know me and polishing plastic is a painful subject 😰😰😰😰🤫🤬🤬🤬🤬

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hi Richard I did get the same item as you and I even emailed the seller and asked him if it would turn white on plastic and he didn’t say it would either ,as you know me and polishing plastic is a painful subject 😰😰😰😰🤫🤬🤬🤬🤬
When I get home we can compare the 2 tins 👀🧐

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
And you chose not to correct it? The point of a forum is we discuss things to get to the best outcome solution.

To that end point me to a thread here where bad advice was given, but was not corrected by the end of the thread
With respect Jim whilst I accept that it may well get corrected by the end of the thread you have to rely on the fact that someone reads all the thread or waits long enough for a correction to appear when they do not know that they need to.
Equally correcting someone can and often turns into a bun fight with the original incorrect poster standing his ground.
So the advice to take care what advice you do get on any forum where you have cause not to trust the poster is good advice as is try to corroborate any advice elsewhere.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So the advice to take care what advice you do get on any forum where you have cause not to trust the poster is good advice as is try to corroborate any advice elsewhere.

So should I take that advice or wait till its confirmed a couple of times :D

I find forums are the very best places for peer to peer, horses mouth advice. But you might be right
show me a thread where bad advice has stood unchallenged for longer than 30 minutes. I doubt you can

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Most wax polishes can be removed with washing up liquid, this will emulsify the wax to remove it.
For black plastic trim, I have used olive oil which works well to return it to black, but it wont give you a particularly shiny black, more a stealth black. 😁

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Fairy liquid in water I believe is good at removing wax When reading on a detailing forum many months ago, strips the wax before using clay bar to remove day to day fall out

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Back home now and just polished the mirror casing with Harly wax 👌 buffs up and no white marks 😎
View attachment 428044
I know I know, next time I'll try and get the sticker on straight 😂

Looks a good job with the wax. 👍

Regarding the decal, try fairy and water in a spray bottle onto the glue side of the decal before applying it, this should allow you to position it correctly without it sticking right away, then using a sponge to carefully dab it until it stays put followed by a squeegee to force the fairy / water or air out from underneath to get it lying flat.
Once dry, you can then apply a bit more wax because the fairy may have stripped a little of it off.

OP
OP
S
Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi everybody would like to say thank you to everyone who replied to my query.
Have tried many of them and found the good old pencil eraser is the best one for my situation so the winner is pebble99, and you tube
Cheers a happy Stuart.

Jan 19, 2019
Burnley, Lancs, UK
Funster No
MH
besaccar
Exp
i use a product called williams wash and wax they sell it on ideal world on the tv its brilliant wipe it on polish it off its made by williams racing team i have used this for quite a few years its great for the black plastic and glass and its cheap as they do good deals on it i got a 5ltr container with the atomiser pump for 20quid brilliant stuff even in the shower and windows in the house ..

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I've found that a tin of Back to Black that admittedly I've had for years did a poor streaky job on the plastics, whereas some tyre black brings it up a treat, to the extent that there's an obvious line between the two areas. I'm saving washing the van and re-doing the plastics as at treat for when all the unnecessary DIY jobs are all finished.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Over the years I have tried many products to revive the black plastic mirror casings. Nothing seems to last more than a couple of weeks. Kiwi polish seemed to work in the past but now out of production.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Update:
SandP has given me his Harly wax. I've just polished the whole scooter with it, including the black embossed plastic and it's looking spot on, no white marks, no white powder. Even did the van mirror back with his to make sure. It's genuine Harly Wax, don't know what's left the marks on his van.

20210516_183237.jpg

20210516_183438.jpg

👆You can see where the wax ends on the foot plate.
20210516_183438.jpg
20210513_123619.jpg

👆 Van where mirror meets door 👌

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back