Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Well it's not actually a dish it's a Camos flat sat dish receiver. which I discovered today has let water in.
As far as I have been able to establish it's not the bottom plate that is at fault because the roof lining is not wet but the water is coming down the spindle that turns the dish.
These systems are no longer available and I have not been able to find any information on the internet as to how to dismantle the block on the roof. I looks as though I will have to remove it to get at the spindle and see if there is a seal gone that lets the water in.
So what is the simplest way to separate the dish plate from the roof as it has a LOT of Sikaflex holding it down and has been there for 10 years? Is there a spacial way to remove Sikaflex so that I will be able to re fix it if repair is possible?
Even if I cannot repair it I will have to remove all the Sikaflex when a replacement is fitted.
Any help will be appreciated.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You could start at one corner and use a wire moving backwards and forward and slowly cut through the Sikaflex ,moving round each corner in turn.Good time to do it with little rain in the forecast .enjoy lol.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Weather's no problem as my friendly farmer has an empty barn (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Usually the unit will be bolted to fixing plate so you should not need to take the plate off there are probably three or four encapsulated nuts on the plate, could be covered with plastic caps(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Usually the unit will be bolted to fixing plate so you should not need to take the plate off there are probably three or four encapsulated nuts on the plate, could be covered with plastic caps(y)(y)(y)

Afraid not that system, this is a block and spindle which appears to be bolted onto the plate so will have to be removed in order to apply 2 spanners, one each side, to undo the fixing. it's not possible to access the lower bolt as it sits inside the roof insulation layer

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sounds like a fiddly job then(y)(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any help will be appreciated.

Poor sod.

It took me 3 days to unstick an Oyster plate.

First I did as much as I could with a vibrating plunge cutter ( a totally brilliant tool ) which got the outer inch or so free. Then I crippled myself with a car windscreen removal cheese wire type thing. One of the wires I bought was stranded so had a sort of saw effect. Hacking and sawing, hacking and sawing. I think a hacksaw blade was in use at some stage.

Of course being on a roof with limited space staying on the roof is a challenge.

I thought of using a blow-lamp but thought it too risky then someone on here said try this after I'd finished.

Good luck.

PS the Oyster itself just unbolted and lifted off, are you really sure your's wont ?

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
One of the wires I bought was stranded so had a sort of saw effect. Hacking and sawing, hacking and sawing. I think a hacksaw blade was in use at some stage.

Thanks Brian, where do you buy such a thing (I don't mean a hacksaw blade) but the wire thingy?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a 2ft hacksaw blade and a rag

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thank you to you all for your suggestions.
In the end I was able to borrow tools and remove most of the parts of the satellite actuator and have cleaned it all up. Now waiting to see if it still leaks or I hgave to try and remove it
Once again thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back