Removed DPF? (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Just heard on the news that changes will be introduced next year regarding MOT's to include checking if the DPF is present and working.
I know these are expensive if they go wrong and quite a few people have removed them.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I do wish people would stop trying to poison my grandchildren.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
They have been required to check they are there since I think 2014.
Must be getting strict with the testers. I know someone who's involved in mot testing and he just ticketed his old Audi for years without looking at it. I spoke to him in his garage when he eventually had to do some work on it because the brakes and suspension where completely shot and he no longer worked in testing.
There seams to be too many loopholes in mot testing.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Must be getting strict with the testers. I know someone who's involved in mot testing and he just ticketed his old Audi for years without looking at it. I spoke to him in his garage when he eventually had to do some work on it because the brakes and suspension where completely shot and he no longer worked in testing.
There seams to be too many loopholes in mot testing.

You can give them a ring
DVSA
Telephone: 0300 123 9000
Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm
ask for Testing intelligence unit

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Having run an MOT testing station for the past for 40 years up until April this year and also as a tester unless Vosa has introduced the testing of the exhaust DPF pressures the Tester has no way of knowing or proving that the internals of the DPF have been removed unless of course it has been it has been removed completely Removing the DPF, its insides, will not show on the emissions check
Vosa are clamping down big time on stations that offer a DPF removal service as well as carrying out MOT testing as well as garages that are charging less than the Standard MOT price as this encourages garages to "look for"extra work.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They can make it as hard as they like, nothing to stop you taking off after a test, and putting it back before, theirs even gizmos you can buy to fool your ecu that its still there.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There are people who would cheat and scheme what ever, but some people might just be skint and the price of a filter is to much. They could be normal law abiding citizens but now had a wage rise for years and the sole purpose of the car is to take them to work as public transport does not exist. It’s very easy to have a go at them when they probably do not want to be cheating any way, and if interest rates rise then there will be many more like that.

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
They can make it as hard as they like, nothing to stop you taking off after a test, and putting it back before, theirs even gizmos you can buy to fool your ecu that its still there.
Some dodgy traders even remove/refit tyres before and after At my garage we would not do Trade MOT,s Vosa run a traffic light system whereby RED garages are inspected frequently by mystery shopper or audit and steps are taken to remove the station or tester from testing if persistent. AMBER are inspected less so, but are garages that have made mistakes in past or were red but making efforts to become Green which stations are of the standard which is accepted by Vosa and although not inspected as often are still mystery shopped.In general over the years, of course there are still
arseholes about, but there are far more trustworthy garages about then years gone by.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My view is that we should have something like Spain.
Dedicated MOT stations that just do the MOT and nothing else, that way the vehicle owner knows there is no "upselling" of any repairs taking place and in theory maybe DVSA can keep a better watch over the testing.
I know that a few people just use MOT stations ie local council just for that reason.

A dedicated MOT site could maybe also include the driving test centre and DVLA office..
Think thats a bit like the DVM is the USA ?
Sounds sensible to me.. (y)(y) add in a costa coffee or Mcdonalds and their rent could pay for pay for a chunk of it..;)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Dedicated MOT stations that just do the MOT and nothing else, that way the vehicle owner knows there is no "upselling" of any repairs taking place and in theory maybe DVSA can keep a better watch over the testing.
I know that a few people just use MOT stations ie local council just for that reason.

A dedicated MOT site could maybe also include the driving test centre and DVLA office..
Sounds sensible to me.. (y)(y) add in a costa coffee or Mcdonalds and their rent could pay for pay for a chunk of it..;)

They used to have them, I took my RV for an MOT at the same place as I passed my HGV test, all owned by DVLA, didn't do repairs only Mot's. Plenty all over the country, all now closed in the last few years.

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
When I was in business in the trade with my late husband, we did not do mots but took them to an mot only station. If our customer wanted to to get their own mot done we would always advise then to go to an mot only test station , as they would not be looking for work. The problem with DPf is that people do not know how to look after them. Especially if they only do short stop start journeys. DPF filters need a good run at a constant speed for so many minutes to keep it clear so it can doo its job. Garages can do a forced regeneration using diagnostic equipment, but dont stand too near the exhaust as it gets very hot !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many simply remove the dpf, smack the guts out of it, refit the empty casing and reprogram the ecu to delete the sensors..
To all intents the dpf is still there and unless the engine is badly tuned its hard to tell with exhaust gas analyser equipment as it should still be within limits.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've never looked into the costs of replacing a filter but it occurs to me that all the effort isn't worth it. Surely it's more cost effective to treat the thing right to start with? You can tell, of course, I've never had to replace a filter!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy

Same in France. But GB learning from EU, unlikely.

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
I've never looked into the costs of replacing a filter but it occurs to me that all the effort isn't worth it. Surely it's more cost effective to treat the thing right to start with? You can tell, of course, I've never had to replace a filter!
Spot on
And in the case of having to do short journeys only either a dam good thrash down the motorway occasionally,a forced re-gen by a trusted garage, or even a cleaning process that is now available.

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
The Citroen Peugeot ones when they first came out ( if memory serves me correct) were changed at the 75000 mile service. We found that people brought the car from new and then changed them before 75K, the second owners suddenly found themselves with a big bill and more often than not had not been told by the sales man about the filter. when we have taken the filter off ( Note NOT to remove it ) we have found that the mesh was cleanable with a blast from an airline. Then a top up with the dpf fluid and a blast up the A303 was all that was needed . They were expensive when first on the market and had started to come down in price when I had to close the business after my husband passed away.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
What about the majority of motorcycles that have had all the emission stuff removed and aftermarket catless exhausts fitted.

The trouble with the whole DPF issue is the system are not fit for purpose which is why manufacturers like AUDI don't warrant them from new.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

The only problem with that is that most spaniards don't do anything, even servicing , to the vehicles until/unless it fails the itv.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back