Remove & Replace Front Pads on 2.8JTD (1 Viewer)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi,

Can anyone advise me how easy it is to change the front pads on my 2.8JTD Ducato.

I have been told that there are 2 bolts which have to be loosened, the bottom one removed totally and the caliper hinges on the top bolt.

Swing the caliper upwards and remove the old pads, fit the new replacements and using a G clamp push the piston back into the caliper.

This is how I've been told to do it, is this procedure correct?
Once fully pushed back you can return the caliper to the disc and replace the bottom bolt and tighten them both up.

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes more or less, but don't forget to put copperslip grease on the backs of the new pads.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Don't forget to take the top off your master cylinder before you start.....pump the brakes when you've finished and put the top back on....pour some hot/warm soapy water over any brake fluid spillage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As above but don't forget that on each side there is an electrical connector for the wear indicator and if you do use a g-clamp to push the caliper pistons in, put a thin piece of plywood or similar over the piston to protect it and spread the pressure. Note which side of the disc the wired pad goes before removal.

Plus if you have access to an air compressor give the caliper a good blow over or, failing that, get a stiff non-metallic brush and get as much crud and brake dust out.

I now ensure that I do this prior to putting copper grease on the pad backs and the piston surface:RollEyes:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi
you are working on the brakes,FRONT BRAKES,if your not sure about what your doing take it to someone that does.it wont cost much to get fitted but may save more than a few pounds.
I have my own garage buisness and have seen the results of incorrectly fitted pads.
example when winding back caliper piston open bleed valve or can turn over seal in master cyl
Copper grease is still wildly used but not ideal.and in some instances not recommended
DONT blow out brake dust with airline
Just a few does and donts
Sorry if seems a heavy post but just concerned
Regards
Tony

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi
you are working on the brakes,FRONT BRAKES,if your not sure about what your doing take it to someone that does.it wont cost much to get fitted but may save more than a few pounds.
I have my own garage buisness and have seen the results of incorrectly fitted pads.
example when winding back caliper piston open bleed valve or can turn over seal in master cyl
Copper grease is still wildly used but not ideal.and in some instances not recommended
DONT blow out brake dust with airline
Just a few does and donts
Sorry if seems a heavy post but just concerned
Regards
Tony

Having done mine recently (check earlier posts or my blog) I whole heartedly agree. I have changed numerous pads and in essence the job is quite easy. However the discs are prone to warping and fade which mine did, I could not check properly as I did not have a geomatary tool, end results was the pads rubbed, got very hot, and kept burning. Ended up getting my reliable garage to take a look whom then had to replace pads, and discs.
I sort of knew what I was doing, but stopping 4t down alpine roads like we use and a bit of condensation in the brakes when standing for long periods does alter the ball game slightly or it did with me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back