Remove bed? (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
This might be a daft question but taking this as an example is it possible to remove the bed that lives in the roof with the idea of saving some weight for excess wine? If it's possible, is it desirable or plain bonkers?

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Not a daft question my Benimar 294 has a similar bed set up and when we bought it new we asked the dealer to ask Benimar to leave it out as we would never use it and to save a bit of weight, but they would not do it plus marquis said it would effect the resale value so we just live with it.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes it's possible -for more wine is very questionable ? No it's not desirable and yes plain bonkers :giggle:Knock £1,000s of value of van unless put back in come sale time -it's your van so alter it as you wish (y)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not bonkers at all, although I would consider the resale value. I assume you are referring to a drop-down bed in an A-class?

It might be best to consult the manufacturer (converter) first because some bed frames may be fitted before the windscreen is added and may not be removable without being cut up. You will need to ‘make good’ the space you create with revised headlinings or cupboards, so it’s an exercise that should not be taken on lightly.

It makes sense not to carry around dead weight when you could have more space.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
I certainly wouldn't want it to look crap afterwards and cutting up wouldn't be good.

But it's hypothetical anyway as still leaning towards a van. Issue is vans are premium around these parts due to the high storage costs of larger MHs. For a space I can get in France for 300 Euro a year it costs about 2K CHF here (about 1500 GBP). Having to weigh cost of MH against running costs. Van probably wins.

Upvote 0

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Our Hymer A class has cupboards instead of a drop down bed. I believe it is fairly unusual to be supplied like that but it suits us because the drop down bed would have been redundant as we have a fixed bed over the garage and the extra storage comes in very useful. I think it would be quite hard work to retro fit the cupboards in place of a bed though and difficult to make it look original.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
As a bit of a beginner myself (only 2 & a half years in to MH'ing), my thought is that you could buy one with cupboards already there, like this
upload_2016-6-15_10-14-41.jpeg

It's what we have & we store 2 large rucksacks, 2 daysacks, 2 fairly big chairs, 2 winter-weight hi-viz jackets, 1st aid kit, & various other lightweight but bulky items (& a few fiddly ones that we then can't find, of course).

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The over head bed assembly can quite rightly be considered structual in the cab and windscreen area , and should not be removed without consideration as to what suport will be lost in that area.
Geo

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back