Remote damp monitoring (1 Viewer)

brightspice

Free Member
Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi all

I'm new to motorhoming (is this even used as a verb?) and have already suffered the consequences of leaks and condensation causing damp :-(

I was wondering if a (portable/not permanently installed) remote readable temperature/humidity/motion sensor product is being used by anyone? When I'm in the motorhome I can see what's going on, but when it's not in use I’d love an easy way to see what conditions inside are like to guard against developing problems (like new leaks appearing!)

I know I could install a wifi-type thermostat, but this is a 'project' and quite expensive. Besides wifi-thermostats also require mains hook-up, which I've already found isn't always available. I want something simple that works by plugging into the mains/a cigarette socket, uses a Pay As You Go SIM, and allows me to monitor conditions through an app of some kind.

Are we the only ones to suffer from this and does anyone have any pointers? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting my husband to pull together a solution when he next has time on his hands!

Many thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think your over thinking / complicating things.
Just check for leaks periodically if your concerned.
Temperature and humidity will not really tell you much.
Ventilate well when not in use, drain water over winter and don't heat it.
That's all I do.
BTW how many leaks have you had, why do you think you'll get more.
Condensation is a result of poor ventilation .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Leaks and damp can take months or even years to become apparent, it isn't something you sit and watch happen.
The cure for condensation is ventilation... And lots of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brightspice

Free Member
Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for the responses. Most of the leaks have come from the roof. It must have been left in the sun and the surface has cracked in places. We also have a dodgy looking window seal that we're keeping an eye on. I had thought we could tell if such a problem (re)occurs by remotely seeing humidity levels (if they increase, something has changed). I'm asking around and it doesn't seem possible to gauge this remotely. Never mind - many thanks for your responses. And (I should add), despite dealing with the damp I am enjoying this motorhome thing. Wish we'd done it years ago when the children were young. Best wishes

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Most of the leaks have come from the roof. It must have been left in the sun and the surface has cracked in places. We also have a dodgy looking window seal that we're keeping an eye on.

Roof and body joints and window seals need re-sealing periodically , typically every 10 year for so.. if the mastic looks dried out or flaking it needs done asap

It's not a difficult job and worth doing now before winter sets in.. It's an easy DIY task , if unsure there are plenty of youtube videos or ask on here.

Alternatively have it done at a dealer.. but if done properly, not just a quick bodge, expect a fair size bill, it's labour intensive ..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good advice about revealing. Buy a damp meter too and check all over periodically.

Happy motorhoming. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It must have been left in the sun and the surface has cracked in places.
By far, the majority of motorhomes spend their entire lives outdoors and the majority don't leak.
Those that do will be either physical damage or the roof joints, roof vent seals and/or roof to wall seals have failed.
The roof itself is highly unlikely to 'dry out and crack'
You really need to understand how a motorhome is constructed, and the materials used, to understand how they can leak.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back