Remoska, halogen oven or alternatives? (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hiya,

we are a family of 4 and are looking at cooking options for home and while in our 'van. Our house microwave grill & oven has died and we are wondering whether a Remoska, halogen oven or alternative would work at home and while away.

We rarely use electrical hookups but would consider using them more often if we had a cooker device that had enough capacity to feed us and make a good meal. Our MH doesn't have much storage space but the clan has a hearty appetite.

Questions:

1) What device suitable for home and MH use would you use to cook baked-potatoes, oven type chips, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, sausages etc?
2) Can any device be used for cooking while on the move, plugged into a 100 mAh leisure battery via an inverter?
3) Can any of these devices do a reasonable job of defrosting food as well as cooking?

Cheers

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
does seem to me that what you need is a small proper oven grill and possibly four burner type cooker . either household size or a smaller caravan type baby belling or what ever .
i use lpg at home and have a similar oven cooker in my trailer .
lpg is cheap. fixed every where if need be.
forget the modern rip off stuff buy a proper lpg cooker oven works world wide .

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
does seem to me that what you need is a small proper oven grill and possibly four burner type cooker . either household size or a smaller caravan type baby belling or what ever .
i use lpg at home and have a similar oven cooker in my trailer .
lpg is cheap. fixed every where if need be.
forget the modern rip off stuff buy a proper lpg cooker oven works world wide .

We have have re-fillable gas bottles and an hob & oven in the MH and an hob & oven at home. We've just found that the oven takes ages to warm up and uses a lot of gas - we wonder if the Remoska, halogen or similar ovens would be cheaper to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A remoska will cook a meal in less than an hour and only takes 400watts for the smaller one although if you all have a good appetite the larger one might be better, it going to be taking about 50 amps from your 12 volts but I guess most of that would come from the alternator, I don't know if this is good to put that demand on for an hour so hopefully somebody else can comment. of course you would need to find a safe place for it while it cooks.

Martin

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a house cooker at home and in my trailer . doesnt use much gas.
as to refillable bottles they are all refillable .
i can and do bake bread while away use the oven for making pies . pasty,s etc . roasting joints etc in the trailer i use a fridgidare cooker italian make ,and in the house a tecnogas cooker. there is no town gas where i live so use a big lpg tank in the garden.
fill my bottles all over the place or swap if in spain or maroc .
lpg works

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We swear by the Remoska at home and in the van - much more economic than turning on the electric oven at home.

You asked "...is it suitable to cook baked-potatoes, oven type chips, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, sausages etc?" - Emphatically YES. And much more too!! Baking cakes, cooking puff pastry, roasting veg, fresh fish, pizza, toasted sandwiches, ready-meals... virtually anything. Can also be used as bain-marie apparently; and it's non-stick - big bonus.

Not sure exactly what you mean reference defrosting? Items that can be cooked from frozen are fine in the Remoska, but items that need to be thawed, we just plan ahead in good time and remove them from the freezer to defrost naturally. However, I see the manual says you can defrost food in it.

In my opinion, a Remoska is not suitable for using on the move - it heats up and cooks quickly in any case. And the standard size uses only 400 watts.

Oh, and although we have a microwave oven at home, we don't miss it in the van. And we rarely use the gas oven in the van.

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We use a remoska and I've tried cooking mincepies in it. Not a success as the top burned but the bottom was still uncooked. Stir Fry's don't cook as nicely as the halogen oven.Turns into a soggy mess.
You can't alter the temperature.
Strange that it Cooks faster on a higher ampage electric even though it's just 400 watts.
The halogen oven is higher wattage so can't use in some low ampage sites.I do prefer the halogen but the 3 I had went wrong so ended up with the remoska which has worked faultlessly.
We have the smaller remoska which is great as it's lower wattage and fits in the oven for storage.

Rukei

Free Member
Apr 3, 2015
Hollywood, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
We also swear by a remoska and have a large model at home and in the van. We cook pretty well everything in them including full roast meals. We tried halogen but didn't get the results we do from remoska and it used much more power and not practical when not on a hook up. We have 2 100amp leisure batteries and a 120watt solar panel which power a 1200watt inverter and keep us self sufficient when wild camping or without ehu. Our oldest cooker is six years old and still works perfectly, they are pretty well rocket proof.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Lakeland offering a discount on Remoskas until 3rd May. i.e. £119.99 instead of £149.99 on small one which is model we have.

Also reductions on the bigger and Gold versions.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We use a remoska and I've tried cooking mincepies in it. Not a success as the top burned but the bottom was still uncooked. Stir Fry's don't cook as nicely as the halogen oven.Turns into a soggy mess.
You can't alter the temperature.
Strange that it Cooks faster on a higher ampage electric even though it's just 400 watts.
The halogen oven is higher wattage so can't use in some low ampage sites.I do prefer the halogen but the 3 I had went wrong so ended up with the remoska which has worked faultlessly.
We have the smaller remoska which is great as it's lower wattage and fits in the oven for storage.
Agreed, you need to be careful not to burn the top of things such as pastry and cake, especially if they are close to the top - but we use a few sheets of aluminium foil or the 'magic non-stick liner' to put on top of the item(s) being cooked to avoid the problem.

Agree, stir fry is unlikely to be a success as it's an oven - better in a frying pan I think.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a big Remoska at home and a baby one in the van.

We use the one at home all the time, the one in the van less so and usually just for baked potatoes or to heat up a ready meal.

If you are just getting one, then for a family of 4 you need the bigger one.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We find our gas oven grill and hob adequate for all our needs. They don't seem to use much gas but its cheap enough at around 50p a litre anyway. We also have a microwave which will work from the inverter, and a slow cooker which can cook on the move, we just stand it in the sink.

I assume your battery is 100Ah, as 100mAh would be a torch battery:). We don't have a remoska so cannot speak for that but 400w (and thats only the small one) would flatten your battery to pretty near 50% (the lowest you can go without damage) in about an hour, assuming it was fully charged to start with.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Induction hob, ideal when on hookup as it is quite economic, but so is a halogen oven, but you need one that is low amp.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Remoska at home and in MH cooking all sorts of stuff, some well some eatable.....

neil2016

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Chalfont st Peter
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
2001342-multicooker-chkn-sq.jpg
We purchased this 8 in 1 cooker the weekend before last when we were in Stow in the Wold. It was on offer at £24. I was a little skeptical but it cooked an excellent roast chicken dinner. It does have a higher wattage than the Remoska but it worked fine on EHU.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
I saw people often using a Remoska, but price put me off, now I wish I had bought it years ago. Just been away for a week and not used oven or hob at all, there brilliant, told friends too who also bought one, does great crumble puds too.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 162018We purchased this 8 in 1 cooker the weekend before last when we were in Stow in the Wold. It was on offer at £24. I was a little skeptical but it cooked an excellent roast chicken dinner. It does have a higher wattage than the Remoska but it worked fine on EHU.

How does the grill work on these? As I assume the element is at the bottom?

We're looking for something to use as a temporary replacement for full oven etc for several months while we remodel our kitchen. Looks like this could do the job.

Karen

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
No grill, but I've cooked stuffed bacon wrapped chicken in this plus potatoes and vege, put chicken on rack bought extra - about 6.00, I've done potatoes and peppers on rack. I've done beef burgers, crumbles. I've also used it for reheating already cooked meals. You can put bought meals in it, you can wrap,salmon in foil, cook on rack above potatoes. Anything you cook in the oven you can do in the remoska. It's just great to have. Am at home for a while due to accident on bike, broken shoulder, so using it at home too. Easy for hubby to use.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks @tinkerbell I didn't get on with a Remoska :(
I was asking about the 8 in 1 that @neil2016 bought, the blurb says one of the functions is grilling. I can't picture how that would work.

Karen

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not a good cook at the best of times so adapting to a new method is a challenge for me. I'm always looking for a gadget that will turn me into a superchef :LOL:

Karen

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
My hubby has never cooked in his life, but since my accident he's learning fast with the remoska.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Hope your shoulder is soon better and hubby is relieved of cooking duties, or maybe you'd like him to share the cooking in the future!

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
I wish, he won't touch raw meat or fish, and anyway he does things about the house that I can't or don't do and walks the dog twice a day. Usually does around 15000 steps a day too. I don't do drains, men's work ........

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We tend to cook most stuff in an original double skillet..
We do use the van oven too
Nearest we get to cooking on the move is the Mr D Cooker. .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I wouldn’t use my habitation battery for heating (food/water/space) except for drying hair, perhaps, because it does not store sufficient energy. Use gas instead.

For home I’d get a combi microwave (oven + grill) as they’re much more flexible but don’t take one motorhoming as they’re very heavy and cumbersome. The advantage of a Remoska for touring is that they’re light and reasonably compact, but you still need mains to power them. Low wattage translates into longer cooking times (which may suit some styles of cooking). You could consider Mr D’s vacuum cooker for more efficient use of energy but reserve batteries for light and low power devices.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back