Free Member
Mar 26, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, when storm Bella hit us on boxing day our skylight departed company from our beloved 2014 Chausson Motorhome.
I have since investigated these and it appears they are very badly designed with a mechanism that is not fit for purpose.
Has anyone else had this issue and is there an alternative or do we have to bite the bullet and purchase a five hundred pound (ouch) Remis that is rubbish.
Any advice please.

OP
OP
Andyfozz

Andyfozz

Free Member
Mar 26, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
It is the 900 x 600 Remis 43r-002050 the entire top blew off snapping the hinges and smashed onto the road.
It is scrap now. I wondered if there was an alternative rather than replace with an item that is obviously not very good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andyfozz

Andyfozz

Free Member
Mar 26, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
No that is the issue it was closed, but the hooks that lock it down were not working correctly. The winding mechanism was buggered. Looking for a replacement now but may change it to another make if possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
No that is the issue it was closed, but the hooks that lock it down were not working correctly. The winding mechanism was buggered. Looking for a replacement now but may change it to another make if possible.

The winding mechanism broke on my Remis rooflight too within a few uses from new although mine is 700 x 500 but basically the same thing, by all accounts it's not that uncommon. The Heki versions are a lot simpler in their operation but I don't belive they fit in the same hole. I'm still awaiting a new winding mech and intend to use it very carefully in future!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andyfozz

Andyfozz

Free Member
Mar 26, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looks like having to buy a new unit then. I think we will use it sparingly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The REMItop vario 1 (with banana shape struts) was generally viewed as a very poor design - lots of problems with the winding mechanism.
The REMItop vario 2 (with straight struts) was an improvement - I've not heard of any adverse comments.

My preferred main skylight are those fitted to Hymers with a wind-up parallel lifting arrangement. Because it doesn't tilt, there is less chance of it being damaged by high winds, as experienced by the OP.

My van has the Remis skylight but always try and park with the nose heading into the wind.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back