greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Can I ask if anyone else is having problems with Rimis wind up skylights? Ours has just gone bang again and it’s the second one in less than two years, by bang I mean the winding mechanism has stripped out. As it is its still under warranty but what happens next time, to me theses skylight aren’t fit for purpose has anyone else found this? :(:(

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours was a bit crap from new too.

The fix is to strip the gearbox and take a wire brush to the cables.
The cables themselves have a spiral form which the gears engage with. For some strange reason, the cables are interwoven with bristles. This is probably for noise reduction and a form of lubrication.
Anyway, these bristles retain crud and soon fill up causing the gears in the gearbox to strip.
Bristle removal amd lubrication with grease is the only fix for trouble free operation!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
One of the main problems with Remis wind up skylights is the winding mechanism, the shaft connected to the handle you wind is only made of a cast alloy so not very strong, they break far too easy add to that a set of nylon gears which strip far too easily.

When opening good advice it to support the skylight with your hand pressing up to take some pressure of the gears and shaft.
Really can`t understand why these type of skylights are fitted to motorhomes and caravans, a misguided conception that they are state of the art instead of practical.
They only open in one direction, so if the wind is blowing from the rear of the vehicle you can`t open them, were as the old push up handles would open a skylight in any direction so no matter which way the wind was blowing you could still open the skylight.

Sometimes progress isn`t always going forward.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The gears are die cast monkey metal in ours!

Getting rid of the bristles in the cables is the key to reliable operation. Ours works brilliantly now.

When the skylight closes completely, two hooks should engage to keep it shut.

With a malfunctioning skylight, these hooks do not engage and you can simply lift the lid from outside, stripping the gears.

Not good for security!!!!

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have had mine repaired 4 times and then finally completely replaced. I leave it permenantly closed now and open a window instead.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
They have long been known as crap and they will strip on a regular basis but it is possible to keep them going for a longer period with a bit of help from you.

As you start to wind them open gently but firmly push upward with your hand, or something like a wooden stick if the skylight is too high to reach, at the opposite end to the winding handle and it helps to release the plastic which may be held down by muck and mess on the roof.

Not an ideal solution to the problem but it does help to avoid stripping the gears.

:france::france::france:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Its been 2 years since I fixed ours.

Remove the bristles and lube the thing and you can put the broom handle away.

Also it is good practice to lubricate all your window, rooflight and door seals will silicone spray.

It stops them sticking! Even if its icy!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had the same problem with the one fitted to our tug. I found the solution was to ease the red locks out whilst putting a bit of pressure on the winder, as the locks tend to stick on.

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Mine is sort of naggered as well , when you try to open the blind its tight as hell then as you get to mid position the frame is slightly wider and the runner drops out of the guide ! You tease it back in and when it reaches fully open its tight again, Ime trying to get the plastic casing off to try and adjust width of runners by some means but no screws, it's probably clipped in each end but don't want to break it altogether

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back