Remis roof light (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
is leaking, luckily its on a Hymer, above the drop down bed. It was retro fitted by a previous owner.

The wife noticed it Sunday after being away for the weekend. Anyway, I need to do something with it, problem is it just won't stop flippin raining & I don't know anyone with a garage big enough to put it in whilst I remove it and re fit it properly.

The ceiling in the van is just getting wetter by the day. Any ideas ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Get up there and get a cover of some sort over it with some gaffer tape to prevent even more water getting into the roof!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Don`t think Denso tape will work in this application far easier to get up there on the roof clean the area around the window dry it off & reseal it with a silicon sealant, this is a temporary measure until you can take the window out and make a more permanent job using a non setting butyl sealant.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Someone up there must like me, it's sunny today although only 1deg. So window and is out, cleaned up and about to go back in.
Make sure the area is dry otherwise you'll just be sealing damp into your ceiling!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Had heating on all dry inside.
I meant in the sandwich construction part of the roof, ie between the inner and outer skins, is that totally dry?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I meant in the sandwich construction part of the roof, ie between the inner and outer skins, is that totally dry?

As it's a Hymer, solid construction PU foam doesn't soak up water, the only part that gets damp is the inner timber ply faced with soft material, called Pual (polyurethane/alloy). So when the fabric/ply is dry, then that's it, no real damage as long as it's not long term.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Someone up there must like me, it's sunny today although only 1deg. So window and is out, cleaned up and about to go back in.

Well done you, a temporary repair would have been on your mind all winter, hopefully the job is now of the to do list.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I don't know what the fitter used to seal the window as it came off the roof quite easily and didn't stick to the window itself at all. I used Stixall all weather. I didn't know what is recommended as I don't have any fitting guides.

I looked at it yesterday, removed the inner part to check it was seal and it doesn't budge so hopefully it's fixed, all dry inside as well.

Anyone know how to get water marks out of the lining ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back