LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hoping to order a new Rapido Dreamer PVC shortly, based on the Fiat X290.

There is a converter-fitted option to have Remis cab blinds (£350 inc vat).

Now not unhappy paying for the blinds, but have heard various concerns raised:

- rattle a lot when travelling? That would drive me mad.

- can restrict the line of sight at the top of the windscreen when driving - how much?
(I'm tall and already about on the limit without blinds fitted in our existing X250)?

- is there an issue with swinging van sun visors through 90 degrees to shield sun through side windows?

- can heavy condensation damage the blinds?

Would very much appreciate comments on the above, or any other general observations about Remis cab blinds. We'd like them for convenience, but don't want to bother if they are more hassle than they're worth.

Have curtains at the front of our current van - nice and simple; but not an option on the new van.

Thanks, Mike

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have Remis blinds on our new Burstner (X290). I have not noticed them rattling whilst driving (and I'm quite sensitive to unexplained noises). Also I have not been inconvenienced by the rail at the top of the screen, but then I'm only 5'8". Not tried the sunblinds and can't comment on any condensation. We had curtains on our last van and whilst blinds are not as cossey as a fabric curtain they do give more space. The only negative comment I can give is that the side blinds can be a bit fiddley to stow away.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm guessing in a PVC or coach-built they open and close vertically.. ?

In the front of our Hymer, they move horizontally on a track, go around both side windows and windsceeen, they clip together in the middle of the windscreen.. when opened they stow in a box at either end of the track ... no rattles..

the side windows also have Remis blinds with fly screens.. but as mentioned.. can be fiddly to open and get the folds to lay properly.. probably something to do with ageing..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Can only speak for the Remis cab blinds i fitted to our x250 (63 plate) ours don't rattle, and don't obstruct any view, and to be honest they're one of the best items i have fitted to our van, we used to have internal silvers and compared to the Remis blinds - well i just cant compare them - Remis anyday - everyday

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, our Hymer has them fitted, I would not have our next van fitted with them.
1, The whole windscreen is restricted. 2, They rattle, 3, Overnight condensation is a problem,

On a plus side, nice to just pull across to block the low sun ( When stationary) We have been using a silver screen this past summer, we also will be doing so this winter.

Hope you enjoy your new van and our posting helps.

jumar.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We have them on ours, but stopped using them after a few months. Main reason being the huge amount of condensation build up on the side windows / windscreen.
We use an external "silver screen", and have no condensation problems.
The other annoyance I had with them was that anything attached to the windscreen (TwatNav), camera, had to be removed before the screens could be closed.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
They were on our Hymer when we bought it. I would not be without them. They are good insulators for moderate weather conditions (Spring through to Autumn) and ensure privacy at night. Neither Remis, nor any other internal blind will prevent condensation in winter, particularly on the large screen of an A-class. As soon as it gets cold outside, I fit a set of external Silver Screens.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph fitted the new type to Pug. When I say new , the ones that are in one piece on the side windows. They dont rattle at all. Seemingly they've changed the design to stop it.
They are great for privacy , as in using curtains.
They push into the frame do you don't have flappy curtains gathering dust. Closing on the front screen in the middle . Very quick and easy to use.
But they are pretty useless in keeping the van warm, and stopping condensation. Hence us buying a paragon silverscreen too. I'm sure in the summer they will be used regularly. So we're glad we have them. But if it was one or the other, we'd go for the silverscreens. Great for keeping heat out in the summer. Warm in , in the winter and condensation totally away.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
And another vote for them here.

Thanks a very good price for supply and fit.

Ours meet in the centre, on the front screen, so yes satnav has to be removed, but ours clips to the note pad clip when in use, so no problem with removal.

No rattles from ours, yes the corner pillar is slightly wider, but it has not caused any problems when driving.

At that price you can't go wrong.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ours came as part of an "extras" pack on our PVC and we are very pleased with them. That price sounds really good. They dont rattle and don't get in the way of anything other than a satnav. Used them at the end of September and no condensation but you'd need silver screens as well fot late autumn / winter.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Are you sure it's £350 inc VAT fitted btw ? They cost more than that to buy .

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Are you sure it's £350 inc VAT fitted btw ? They cost more than that to buy .

Yes, it's absolutely clear on the price list. I assume they buy them in the hundreds and can secure a good discount. Also, no doubt originally purchased in € euro and converted to sterling at a favourable rate.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everybody for all the helpful replies! Very much appreciated. (y)

It sounds as though the price is good, at any rate and I guess we should at least give them a try, even if we need an outside screen for maximum insulation when it's cold.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back