LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Having been reading these two threads, Motorhome Payloads and Approved Towbar, with thoughts on carrying our ebikes I've just been to the weighbridge with a road ready van, including the wife and four bricks to represent the dog, to check figures before submitting a form to Watling Engineers for a towbar price.

Well, to quote Enoch Powell, we, with many others judging by the threads, are "in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun."

With about 40kg to spare on a 3500kg van there ain't gonna be a towbar, a bike rack or any bikes without leaving a lot behind or uprating the van.

I know it's on Fun somewhere but 'can someone remind me what happens at 70 re licenses given I passed way back in the late 60's and in theory should have the right to continue driving the same van should we decide to uprate.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
At 70 you will need to fill in extra forms and have a medical to keep your full entitlement.
There have been a couple of threads on this,and there is info on DVLA site.
Mike

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The 'grinder' seems to be the Extortionate price your NHS GP charges for the so called 'medical assessment'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
I am sure there will be others more knowledgeable than me but as far as I know you can continue to drive up to 3500Kgs after 70 years. You passed your test years ago and I think it is a C1 entitlement
If you upgrade the van and go over 3500 then at 70 you will require a medical and GP,s charge for that I think. Last I heard was about £70 in this area although I don't know how long that lasts. Is it every year I wonder.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Oh heck here we go, I am currently jumping through this hoop

Right two months before you are seventy the DVLA send you out a form D 46P filling this in takes away your rights to drive anything over 3500 Kg. If you want to carry on driving over 3500 Kg you need to retain your C 1 rights and to do this you need a form D 2 to fill in which is only available from the DVLA and you need a form D4. Which you can download off line from the DVLA website. This form has to be filled in by a "Qualified person" ie your doctor who may well charge you a kings ransom for doing it you then send the lot off to DVLA. At Swansea and join me sitting on your hands waiting for them to perform and send you back a nice new licence still retaining your C1 entitlement but do check carefully that all is correct as it would appear that the majority of new recruits at the DVLA do not know their bum from their elbow

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The 'grinder' seems to be the Extortionate price your NHS GP charges for the so called 'medical assessment'.

In wales my GP was asking £130 and it was difficult to get an apt-I ended up going to in Independent GP surgery and paid £90.
There is also an eye test which has to be done by either an approved GP or an Optician.
After that you will have to repeat the process every 3 yrs.
Mike

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey our flipping health centre which really is the proverbial chocolate tea pot charged me £135 and it took him ten minutes to fill the form out and this, as yet, is the most expensive that I have heard about

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There is also an eye test which has to be done by either an approved GP or an Optician.

So, you go to 'Specsavers', your over 65, and you get a free eye test........Is that good enough for the DVLA, or do you have to pay the bl**dy optician as well??

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
So, you go to 'Specsavers', your over 65, and you get a free eye test........Is that good enough for the DVLA, or do you have to pay the bl**dy optician as well??

Depends which D4 form you get as one is for an optician to fill in and the other is for your doctor to test your eyesight and fill in and I have no idea which is the most up to date form

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Optician is free.It was my 3rd time and in previous yrs the eye test had been done by GP and just consisted of reading a card he held up on other side of room.This last one included measuring peripheral vision and an eye test with and without glasses on.
The GP had said he was no longer able to do the eye test as regulations had changed.
Mike

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hey our flipping health centre which really is the proverbial chocolate tea pot charged me £135 and it took him ten minutes to fill the form out and this, as yet, is the most expensive that I have heard about
Ha Ha he must be an ex plumber lol

May 29, 2012
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cheyenne 635se
Exp
since 2008
i,m 70 in april next year can anyone tell me what sort of medical do they give you to keep your c1 as i am disabled and still have my c1 at mo regards mervyn

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I expect there'll be more but in the absence of a "Thanks" button (Jim?) thanks to all, particularly laneside who's doing it as we speak. (y)

Deleted User
Eye test depends on whether the GP is qualified to do the enhanced eye test now required, some are some aren't.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
After 70 as stated you need a. D2 form which has to be supplied by Dvla and you can download the D4 which as to be filled in by a doctor.
I received my second licence after 70 last Monday and it took 10 days from sending in applications to receiving my new licence.
My doctor filled in my medical at £110 but was not qualified to issue my eyesight test with the new regulations, so I had it done at specs avers for £7.50
Your driving licence is posted to you with the date they processed the application ,so mine was issued on the 28 June even though my previous licence expired on 8th of August
Hope this helps
Alan

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
i,m 70 in april next year can anyone tell me what sort of medical do they give you to keep your c1 as i am disabled and still have my c1 at mo regards mervyn

You should have already notified the DVLA of your disability. And if they still allowed you to drive after this notification then it will make no difference with regard to the medical at 70, unless you have other conditions that weren't declared previously that could impair your ability to drive.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
(y)I think that the most a gp can charge is £185, Most don,t ( but are still greedy for about 20 mins work)
I was going to let my hgv expire because of the amount my gp wanted,
But then I found out a hgv training school in Cardiff only charged £40 on a Saturday morning for the medical ( needless to say it was packed out with people waiting for one):whistle:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you have any heart problems or angiopasty then its a stress test on a treadmill at hospital, if you cant do that because of mobility, its a drug induced stress test and a scan in a machine, then another scan without the stress induced drugs

Absolute palaver and evidently extremely expensive, DVLA pay!

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
6 hours and no jokes about what happens at 70, the new forum must be dulling everyone's brain.

70 is when you know your way around but don’t feel like going. :giggle:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
if you go to the site, doctor on wheels.they will do your test and eye test at the same time.I get them to do my hgv test.it costs about £50.and they will do it at a place near you.mine does it in a small motorhome,at a industrial estate.near me.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
http://www.driversmedicals.com/index.html

The above web site do the HGV medicals from £51 (it's the same medical for the over 70's) at a much cheaper rate. Was no good for me as we live in S Scotland and there was no center closer than Glasgow or Newcastle.:( Our local one in Dumfries charged £80, another success for Scotland --- Stuff the SNP - Long live THE UNION

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The major stumbling block seems to be heart problems and when they want a treadmill test to see if your heart is up to scratch. I have 2 friends who failed that way, as they couldn't do the treadmill for the prescribed time.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Having been reading these two threads, Motorhome Payloads and Approved Towbar, with thoughts on carrying our ebikes I've just been to the weighbridge with a road ready van, including the wife and four bricks to represent the dog, to check figures before submitting a form to Watling Engineers for a towbar price.

Well, to quote Enoch Powell, we, with many others judging by the threads, are "in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun."

With about 40kg to spare on a 3500kg van there ain't gonna be a towbar, a bike rack or any bikes without leaving a lot behind or uprating the van.

I know it's on Fun somewhere but 'can someone remind me what happens at 70 re licenses given I passed way back in the late 60's and in theory should have the right to continue driving the same van should we decide to uprate.
You get screw'd:cry: bearing in mind we all aspire to want more gadgets, better equipped motorhome's, more storage...add's up to one thing, more Weight.. there will be many motorhomers ( 70+) who have medical conditions ( me), who will not meet the requirements of the DVLA medical restrictions ...pull up the DVLA guide on Google:crying:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
6 hours and no jokes about what happens at 70, the new forum must be dulling everyone's brain.

70 is when you know your way around but don’t feel like going. :giggle:

Yes. When the thread first started, I was going to reply simply 'You Die', but considering the fragility of some members, the moral high ground taken by others, and the backlash about TYRES and INVERTERS, I decide it wasn't worth attending a lynching, where I would have been the star turn...

SO

I worked out that the dull brain was the safer option. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back