Remember the day when you could repair (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What age is he? Mines 13 1/4
He was up earlier asking to go out but I just yell downstairs....go back to bed its too early and he does. Hes got his own room in the house, downstairs toilet lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Frankly, can't see it being a great success.. I give it two years..

People upgrade not just for the newest latest technology, but to show off that they have the latest model... bigger brighter screen, better camera, all play a part.. new innards on their own don't cut the mustard .. can't show them off at the bar.. shallow people won't be interested..

It's like selling long life underpants.. or patches to repair trousers.. Times change, we don't repair consumer goods now... because it's cheaper to replace.. Time costs money and a Chinese persons labour is cheap.. go to any council recycling centre and see the containers full of white and brown electrical goods.. I'm willing to bet, many are perfectly serviceable..

A prime example of this.. the latest floods in Cumbria.. you see piles of goods now being thrown out.. flood damaged.. but I saw stuff that only needs drying out.. but people take the opertunity to replace.. particularly if it's an insurance claim

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Remin

People upgrade not just for the newest latest technology, but to show off that they have the latest model... bigger brighter screen, better camera, all play a part.. new innards on their own don't cut the mustard .. can't show them off at the bar.. shallow people won't be interested..

It's like selling long life underpants.. or patches to repair trousers.. Times change, we don't repair consumer goods now... because it's cheaper to replace.. Time costs money and a Chinese persons labour is cheap.. go to any council recycling centre and see the containers full of white and brown electrical goods.. I'm willing to bet, many are perfectly serviceable..

A prime example of this.. the latest floods in Cumbria.. you see piles of goods now being thrown out.. flood damaged.. but I saw stuff that only needs drying out.. but people take the opertunity to replace.. particularly if it's an insurance claim
Remind me where you hail from Jim ? :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Remin

Remind me where you hail from Jim ? :D

nowt to do where I was born.. unless you are trotting out an old tired cliché

don't confuse thrift with meanness

was brought up in a post war era where everything was in short supply... even food was rationed .. or not available..

.. was shown how to repair things and make them last.. how to make a meal from very little, things didn't get thrown out just because they were broken.. dad repaired things, mum mended worn clothes.. or made new .. lessons learned aren't forgotten.. I still hate to see things thrown out for want of a small repair...

when I lived in RSA I was amazed at what black kids made from rubbish.. nothing was ever thrown out.. poverty is a great teacher..

as I said, times have changed.. when it breaks it's cheaper to replace.. tech stuff is now throwaway .. why I said this phone probably won't catch on..

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Same thoughts from me, Jim.
Does disappoint me though that "youngsters" can't \ don't want to repair things.:(
The fun of finding out how to, the pleasure of seeing it working again, etc seems to be lost in general nowadays.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.

When I was due to leave the Navy a while ago, I was choosing courses to do so that I could work; like the rest of you!! I looked into Domestic Appliance Repairs, as I had done a lot of this for my neighbours in the past. “Not worth it now mate”, was the reply I got from a service engineer, “no one repairs anymore, just replaces”. How times have changed.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than repairing neglected goods, as Jim says when you were a war baby everything was rationed. Its a habit that lives with you for life. Now, where's that broken hairdryer..........
:xThumb: :xgrin:

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than repairing neglected goods, as Jim says when you were a war baby everything was rationed. Its a habit that lives with you for life. Now, where's that broken hairdryer..........
Had to give up on repairing ours a week or two back. Glued \ welded together. Cutting apart wouldn't work as each panel overlapped the other.:((n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I love the challenge of repairing something , particularly if it is said to be 'beyond economic repair' .. that's a 'red flag to a bull'..

It's been my life.. it was my job for the past 50 years to repair things.. electrical and mechanical...

This lifetime of practical experience and has stood me in good stead with motorhome ownership.. for if you don't learn how to fix stuff in a van you will have a very expensive toy on your hands... and you will need very deep pockets...

The last challenge I took on was replacing an iPhone 4 broken screen.. I went online and found the instructions.. bought a screen off ebay , £11 .. wasn't difficult, just needed lots of patience with the tiny screws..

Dad taught me.. and I can still hear him.. "Son.. any fool can dismantle , it takes brains and skill to dismantle, repair and reassemble"

I heard him while I was cursing these tiny iPhone screws.. :xlaugh:

but I did it and the phone is now serviceable...
Proud.. ? yes , and self satisfaction .. I take a lot of pride in repairing stuff

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sadly at the price they have on the label I doubt very much it will be a big success
If people have 500+ € to spend on a fone it is more likely to be one from a mainstream manufacturer

If they had pitched it at say 100 € for a year or so to get the name and kit established they might stand a chance..

It is simply agin human nature ( and the fickle phone fashionista ) to risk that sort of outlay on what to them will be an unknown brand of unknown quality

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I love the challenge of repairing something , particularly if it is said to be 'beyond economic repair' .. that's a 'red flag to a bull'..

It's been my life.. it was my job for the past 50 years to repair things.. electrical and mechanical...

This lifetime of practical experience and has stood me in good stead with motorhome ownership.. for if you don't learn how to fix stuff in a van you will have a very expensive toy on your hands... and you will need very deep pockets...

The last challenge I took on was replacing an iPhone 4 broken screen.. I went online and found the instructions.. bought a screen off ebay , £11 .. wasn't difficult, just needed lots of patience with the tiny screws..

Dad taught me.. and I can still hear him.. "Son.. any fool can dismantle , it takes brains and skill to dismantle, repair and reassemble"

I heard him while I was cursing these tiny iPhone screws.. :xlaugh:

but I did it and the phone is now serviceable...
Proud.. ? yes , and self satisfaction .. I take a lot of pride in repairing stuff
With a teenage daughter this could become worthwhile diy skill.:xsmile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Sadly at the price they have on the label I doubt very much it will be a big success
If people have 500+ € to spend on a fone it is more likely to be one from a mainstream manufacturer

If they had pitched it at say 100 € for a year or so to get the name and kit established they might stand a chance..

It is simply agin human nature ( and the fickle phone fashionista ) to risk that sort of outlay on what to them will be an unknown brand of unknown quality
their only chance of real success is making the phone cool and for that you need huge publicity campaigns to make it go viral still theyve got us talking about it so who knows?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Too true, I know I have mentioned it before, but the guy who paid over £1K to have a £135 mirror replaced is a prime example of why you should do the above. Also the net has become such a great resource for fixers, I have saved a shedload on stuff by getting DIY tips from people and sharing a few as well!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Go into a phone shop and get your hands around the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge plus, then tell me that diy repairs is more important than style. My opinion is as Jews has already said, at 500euros. It will disappear without trace.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Real shame Samsung have tried to ape apple with their latest phones. Buy a £3 case for a galaxy note 4 and you have a far superior device to the fairphone with an easily swappable battery and a 128 GB card(s) of memory if you need it!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Go into a phone shop and get your hands around the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge plus, then tell me that diy repairs is more important than style. My opinion is as Jews has already said, at 500euros. It will disappear without trace.
Which Jews are you talking about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????????????;) :rofl:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

Not the done thing I know but that IS an unfortunate typo Buttons.

Sorry John, beat me to it

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I take a lot of pride in repairing stuff

Would you like to have a shot at my old laptop? :)

I'm hoping my daughter's young man will have a look at it over Christmas and it's just a connection that's gone :)

When plugged into the mains (the battery is dead) the power light flashes and goes out and the on/off switch doesn't turn it on :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

These goods are thrown out because flood waters are full of sewage and drying out stuff doesn't get rid of the dangerous bacteria. That's why flood damage in houses takes so long to repair.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
These goods are thrown out because flood waters are full of sewage and drying out stuff doesn't get rid of the dangerous bacteria. That's why flood damage in houses takes so long to repair.

Not suggesting that everything can be saved/dried out.. but many things can.. I saw a metal clothes drier in a pile and pots and pans.. etc.. wooden tables and chairs can all be dried out and sanitized .. but it's easier to replace..

Cleaning up after a flood
http://www.floodsafety.com/national/property/cleanup/

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I can spend all day repairing an item that is "broken". Son had old MG to work on, fuel pump knackered. I took it apart (SCREWS, NOT GLUE!) cleaned the contacts, re-assembled and it worked.
I sat on my digital camera and broke the screen, went on eBay, new one £10 from China, worth a punt, fitted in 10 minutes. One working camera.
VOSA have changed their systems so son had spare Laser printer but with the old parallel connectors.
Current PC had Windows 7 and USB printer. I resurrected an old PC with XP and parallel port, downloaded Universal driver and now he can use either printer on either PC.
He would have thrown PC and printer away.
Car is 1994 2.0l Eco-tech Cavalier, wife hates it, had for 18 years, still runs, 180,000 miles, passes MOT so why replace? When immobiliser played up, she thought HURRAY, scrapped.
I traced wires and by-passed the immobiliser but retained central locking on fob, much to her disgust:LOL:
I am patient and have all day and gain so much pleasure in fixing items that are beyond repair!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I did post on here a few weeks ago.. Noisy washer, sounded like bearings.
Rang 2 local companies and got " not a viable repair" and "oh- you cant fic them mate"..

ebay. £15.60 for bearings, 2 cups of tea and maybe an hour in time.. All sorted and working.

However was annoyed when my grandsons headphones played up.. No problem i thought, have cut off loads of broken cables and re-soldered a new plug.. I have no idea what they use now but it was like cotton instead of wire and no way could i get solder to hold to it :( had to scrap em..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back