Relocating Gaslow system (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
How much would you expect to pay a dealer to move a Gaslow system from existing motorhome to a brand new motorhome?
Our dealers hourly rate has skyrocketed since we bought 2 years ago. We could be out of touch, but are wondering if we would be better off going elsewhere to get it done.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you not able to do it yourself? Its easy if you have some basic DIY skills, alternatively just remove it yourself from your existing MH and then bring it here with your new MH and I'll fit it for you FOC!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
is your filler on a bracket or drilled into the side of the motorhome? It would make big difference

If it is on a bracket, it would be 30 minutes to remove, and probably about an hour to re-install and test, when going into to new van. So around about £100 would seem about right. If it is on a bracket you'd be better off taking it out and re-installing it yourself.

The of course your old van has to have something done to enable it to be sold, which they may be billing you for?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Our dealer,chelstons offered to move ous for free when they saw that we had one..cut a new hole in the skirt.

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Our filler is just on a bracket inside the gas locker so would be easy to move/refit in a new van. Would just want to make sure all connections etc were gas tight...
However I would expect the dealer to do this as part of the deal...

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
our dealer move ours FOC, filler on bracket not in skirt.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
"Part of the deal" A great phrase, so long as it was "part of the deal" IE before the final price was agreed the conversation was had "Oh and we will want our Gaslow swapped over to our new van"

If the deal, the final deal is reached, and agreed and then additional works are brought into the equation, I think it entirely reasonable to levy a reasonable charge.

I remember agreeing a price to sell our van a few years ago. I stupidly didn't take a deposit as the buyer was a friend of a friend. I was discussing why we had booked a hotel to go to a show with a close friend who moaned that he would have snatched my hand off, at that price if he'd known that we were selling.

I told him that "A deal is a deal" and that the second we'd agreed the deal the van had been emptied, cleaned and polished and now sat safely in the carpark, hence us paying to stay in a hotel, not wishing to use it once we agreed to sell it.

Roll on a couple of weeks, a call on the Monday from the buyer who "has been looking round and thinks that he is paying about £5K too much for our motorhome, and that he was still going to go ahead, but we were going to reduce the price. I disagreed and laughing challenged him to find a like for like example of the motorhome, with the same spec in the same condition.

I knew that he couldn't as I had looked. I flatly refused and he said, I'll fly into Bristol on Friday and drive the van away and you'll be X Pounds richer, you know you want to sell it, call me tomorrow after you've had time to think about it, the call finished with me saying "Don't hold your breath" and laughing.

Next day, Mr Flying In, moneybags, called. I was genuinely unavailable, and Lyn took the call, nd the gyst of it was "Eddie hasn't phoned me" Lyn said "He told you he wouldn't" "Well are you dropping the price or not? I need to know as I need to book the flight" Lyn: "Eddie told you yesterday No" "Right, the deal is off! and he put the phone down.

He rang back the following morning, and suggested that we met in the middle. I said emphatically "No" after dripping and whinging for a couple of minutes, he said "OK, OK, I'll go ahead at the agreed price! I said "No"

"What do you mean No?"

I said "You called, after the deal was made, after we in good faith prep'd the van for you, after we paid to stay in a hotel as we didn't want to use it once we'd agreed to sell it, and started trying it on, making out that we were trying to rip you off, and tried to knock us for £5K thinking that we'd be desperate to sell, you then said that the 'deal was off' So the 'deal is off' we won't now sell it to you"

He was apoplectic really angry and threatening all sorts, and I just started laughing at that stage, He really couldn't get the idea into his head that "he" was responsible having told us that the deal was "Off" and it was all his fault, not ours

He even tried to suggest that he was going to sue us for his "wasted bought ticket" Again though, I reminded him that he had called the previous day to confirm that his bullying tactics had worked, we were going to accept the £5K reduction and he could book the flight! So he cancelled the deal before the flight was booked or paid for! I asked him why he paid for a flight, after cancelling the deal, surely "no sane person would do that"

The killer line, when he'd calmed down enough to stop swearing and threatening, and suggested that perhaps we'd both been a "bit hasty" was "It is academic anyway as when you said the "deal was off" I sold the motorhome to someone else"

Straight back up to incandescent rage (y)

Never try to bully anyone, and never welch on a deal:)

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thank you everyone.
I have no idea why we did not consider moving it ourselves. I have ordered a kit as our filler is in the skirt.
When we placed our order we did not think to arrange for things to be changed to the new MH. As Eddie says a deal is a deal, we shook hands on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back