Relining the roof (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Hello, I've been searching for the right motorhome for some time now but, our circumstances have changed a little so after depleting savings somewhat, we've decided to get our 1st MoHo on a budget (hopefully).
So a friend has one for sale and I think the price is very good. But...And there's always a but, it's has water ingress. He has had this professionally fixed by means of a new sky light and rear window. The MH is now bone dry with no black/blue mould on any interior panels but if I push my thumb into the roof inside, it leaves a dent and it feels very soft underneath. So I guess the ply has blown with the water.
Another friend is a chippy so we hope to fix this. Is the best way to remove all the interior and strip out the old interior board and reline the whole area or, as the MH is in such excellent condition, would it be possible to reboard the ceiling with the cupboards in situ? We're talking of a 1996 MH but ultra low mileage hence the condition.
Also where do I buy the boards, would like something that would be used in new MH rather than just ply, but will now tomyour expertise. Thank you in advance.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
All depends upon the roof construction but whatever it is you need to cut out the old damp plywood, you could leave the cupboards in place and just cut back to them, if the plywood is then sound you could leave that in place. You can buy 3mm lining boards from such as Magnums in Grimsby, they also post them out.
Until you strip it out you won’t really know what to do with regards to fixing the lining boards in position, you will also need to replace the insulation with cellotex board or similar. Magnums also sell the cover strips to cover any joints that you will have.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you, really helpful. I'm anticipating having to replace some of the wooden framework under the panels. How do we attach the boards to the frame work underneath?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If there is any timber then it will also be holding the roof panel as well, only guessing at this stage but you may have to leave the other wood in place and put some new alongside it. You would need to bond it to the roof using a Sika 512 or similar. You would then need to bond the insulation to the roof again using Sika. The new ceiling panels would have to be screwed or stapled to the new timber. Joint cover strips to match the ceiling can then be screwed up, these come in two pieces so the first piece is screwed up then the cover strip fits over it.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Ok thanks again. Will be a case of knowing more once we get the panels off. As it's now a dry van we'll use it for the rest of the season and then begin the work. Cheers, I'm sure I'll be back then with more questions!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back