Relationship between central locking and alarm (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When we bought our second hand Bailey 620 Approach from the dealer, it came fitted with a Gemini alarm. We were told that the Bailey key fob had been deactivated because of the alarm and so you didn't use the Bailey key to lock the cab doors or the habitation door. The Bailey key (actually the Peugeot base vehicle key) is intended to be used to lock the cab doors separately from the habitation door. You could use the Bailey key to lock all the doors by physically putting the key in the driver's door and turning it.
We were shown how to lock the doors with the alarm which has a different fob. When you press the top button on the fob, it locked all the doors and set the alarm. We have had problems with locking the habitation door. First off, it wouldn't lock with the key in the driver's door (the passenger and driver's lock would lock but not the habitation door).
Then the alarm fob would lock the driver and passenger door but not the habitation door and the alarm would be set. The only way we could lock the habitation door, was from inside the van and exit from the driver or pasenger door. Then you could lock those doors with the key or by pressing the alarm fob.
When we returned from three months in France we booked the van into an approved Bailey dealer (not the supplier with whom we have no confidence).
We explained the problem to the dealer who said that he had not seen a case where the Bailey/Peugeot key had been deactivated in order to use the alarm fob. He is going to check up but I'm now confused.
It would, of course, be great if, by using the Bailey/Peugeot key, we could remotely lock all the van doors or just the habitation door (as shown by the Bailey key). And then separately, we could choose to operate the alarm. But the alarm does lock the cab doors and when it worked, the habitation door as well. I can't help thinking that we have inadvertently cocked up the alarm's remote settings and that is the cause of the problem. Why I say inadvertent, is that we didn't intentionally change anything.
Any thoughts on the matter, gratefully received.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've tried to follow it but got lost lol..
I'm surprised the vehicle key has been deactivated as you put it..
I would have thought an alarm would have been a separate entity..
Do you know if the vehicle has different locking options available that might explain why hab door and cab doors can be locked together or separately. .
On mine there is an option in the menu for 3 different locking options (which I haven't figured out yet myself )
Worth checking the vehicle handbook anyway..
Other than that I don't think I can be of much help..
Andy

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@andy63- sorry It is hard to follow. I wasn't very clear.
I agree that locking the van and setting the alarm should be different events so to speak. The vehicle key has been deactivated I think by simply removing the battery. When you say there may be an option in the menu for three locking options do you mean the original Peugeot base or the Bailey,or the alarm? All manuals are in the van a th moment so I can't check but will do so tomorrow. Thanks for your post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
In my case my fob locks everything and sets the alarm and I think that's a good idea as you can't forget to lock certain doors or set the alarm.....

Once inside I push the same button but a different way to lock everthing and not activate the internal sensor.... pretty simple for me (and needs to be:confused:)

So, it's ether locked and alarm on or not.... I can't see a reason why you would want it locked but not the alarm on.... unless someone or dog is inside..?

Mine is a sigma on a Mercedes

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63- sorry It is hard to follow. I wasn't very clear.
I agree that locking the van and setting the alarm should be different events so to speak. The vehicle key has been deactivated I think by simply removing the battery. When you say there may be an option in the menu for three locking options do you mean the original Peugeot base or the Bailey,or the alarm? All manuals are in the van a th moment so I can't check but will do so tomorrow. Thanks for your post.
Sorry I wasn't clear.. i ment options on the Base vehicle ..ie Peugeot
Ie mine is a transit..
It has 3 different locking options available which can be set by going through options on the dash display.. global locking and two other options which I can't remember.. I've yet to look into it properly..
It's odd that your key fob would have been disabled to accommodate an aftermarket alarm...
I think I'd be reinstating that and giving it a try...
Even if the locking configuration can't be user set it is something a dealer might be able to do .
I did a panel van conversion on a transit.. it came with a factory fitted alarm and I realised I couldn't lock it when I was in the vehicle with the key fob without setting the alarm...
I did find a workaround that eventually allowed me to lock it from inside without setting the alarm...essential when it has internal sensors..
Present van has a vanbitz alarm.. which is completely separate from the locking etc on the Base vehicle..
Andy..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can't help, but in frustration ask why companies insist on fitting car alarms to motorhomes :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I can't help, but in frustration ask why companies insist on fitting car alarms to motorhomes :doh:
Whats a Motor Home Alarm??
Alarms dont care what the're fitted too Jim, do you mean a quality alarm best suited to what it's doing ? like those from Eddie who's Vans in Bitz

Ingwe
Thats everyday speak for me
Sounds like you have a faulty/sticking hab door soleniod
Geo

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Geo-I think you're probably right. I say this because the hab door did use to lock using the vehicle key when operating the central locking with the key in the driver's door. Now the "clunk" and locking of the habitation door no longer happens. Only the passenger and driver's door.
Still, we go to the new dealer tomorrow so maybe it will be sorted. Will post back.
Thanks all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back