Rejected new m/ homes what happens (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just a question

When a vehicle gets rejected under sale of goods

the supplying dealer takes it back

For the purchaser that's the end of storey:thumb:

:thumb::thumb::Eeek:
------------------------------

But another chapter opens after

As in a rejected vehicle m/home has two constructors

Ie the chassis & the habitation section

Given this is the case neither will want to see the van squashed

The dealer will want it gone so who is left with it

I'm sure the chassis won't go back to manufacturer

But the whole thing will go back to the assembler

so I'm assuming the vehicle is de registered

Returned to assembler who then has rectification work carried out
And under warranty that has now been kick started by registration

Then returned to a dealer to sell on as a demonstrator type deal

Strikes me none of us lot would know any different
But we could end up thinking deal of the week £5000 of the new price

what's your thoughts

I have no particular axe to grind just I can't
See any company willing to take a £50000 hit
Be enough to wipe a lot of company's out I would assume

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having discovered that two vehicles we owned were put back on the road after being written off - a car and :whatthe: our Autoquest even after its two smashes :whatthe: - I am pretty sure that a reject new motorhome would be [STRIKE]bodged up[/STRIKE] perfectly restored by somebody in the trade.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It would have to be something pretty serious to make the van unsellable. I had a van returned as not fit for purpose and it did cause some problems between the different parties before they all agreed to refund the cost but it is down to the supplying dealer to sort that part out. I was told that the manufacture had the van back to rectify the problems before it would be re-sold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
The vehicle would be repaired (possibly) and then offered for sale again. It is unlikely, in my opinion, to be deregistered without writing it off altogether.

A word of warning however - especially in this day and age. I rejected a van and left it at the dealership with a demand for a refund. The legal advice that I subsequently obtained, suggested that it might be prudent to get it back as the company were already into a voluntary agreement with their creditors but still trading on that goodwill. If they went out of business before I had fought for payment, the vehicle would likely pass to the liquidators and I would have risked losing the total value and be left as a company creditor behind the Revenue and all the rest.

I reluctantly accepted the advice but then part exchanged it for another van. The company no longer trade as they went bust a few months afterwards and the majority of creditors were left with the bad debt.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
As I posted here : Broken Link Removed

We had no problem, it was most likely sold as low mileage 31 miles :RollEyes: one owner that never liked it, :RollEyes: although we had a replacement. :Doh:

I would never put up with a vehicle that you buy brand new, and have someone pull it apart.:Sad:
Everyone expects teething troubles but I class breakdowns, damp as major, it's not things not fitting right or doors falling off.:Doh:

If you got it second hand and you never had it long and did a couple of hundred miles, :Doh: you would take it back and demand your money back under the sale of goods act, not fit for purpose.

We bought a caravan private sale, sold to us described as excellent condition, and yes it looked it towed it 100 miles and spent the night in it with the heating on, woke in the the morning and found it full of damp, phoned them up told them, and said its coming back and we want our money back , he never liked it but that's life, if it had been advertised as full of damp no one would look at it. ::bigsmile: Bob.

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I just wonder how much effort is put into remedial work

Before it's sold to a new [STRIKE]mug[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]punter[/STRIKE] owner

Seems lower price oohh it's a bargin

Instead of I wonder why so cheap and a new owner so soon
I wonder why!!!!!!!??????

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As with suzywoozys van if they don't put a new engine in ,who would want it back, but if she sends it back it will probably be back on the forecourt with "delivery mileage" on it:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
of course its pre-registered sir, we used it as a demonstrator vehicle and personally drove it to the shows..because of that we are offering a massive £500 discount on list price. i realise you could order a brand new one, but you will have to wait months. we will arrange the finance and you can have this one by the end of the week

using the above as a general guide, i am sure that any rejected vehicle would be repaired good as new and sold on very quickly. the dealer would just lie through their teeth and somebody else would then have the problem

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
oh nearly forgot, and the wife reminded me....we saw a van like this at a local dealership, offered at a £3000 discount on brand new. the dealers story was that the first owner had died and they were selling it as a favour to the widow. just didnt ring true at all at the time

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A common route for cars with persistent problems and taken back is the auction house........ but that is a much bigger pool than auctions for Motorhomes.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A common route for cars with persistent problems and taken back is the auction house........ but that is a much bigger pool than auctions for Motorhomes.

That's true, there is a auction place near us, measham, that have regular mh sales, and lots of dealers yards that you can see vans round the back with auction numbers on, but the fact remains they are still going to end up on someone's forecourt:Eeek:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We see brand new vans rejected, the owners coming back to Van Bitz with their replacement motorhome to have all they toys fitted on their "new" new van.

Then a few weeks later we see the the "old" van in the hands of it's "new" owners:Eeek:

The stories are never, it's a "bad un" and we bought it cheap. "Ill Heath" on the part of the first buyers is the most common reason :winky:

The original owners go through a lot of trouble, stress and heartache though as well as normally taking a hit financially:cry:

Also as Martin1485 warns, if you formally reject the vehicle and dump the van back at the dealers and the administrators walk in to collect the stock, you risk becoming yet another creditor:Eeek:

At that point you would be delighted to be able to argue the return of you Motorhome from the administrators, warts and all and would happily pay to rectify the problems with a third party.

I am sure that I read a thread recently, where some one had ordered a motorhome from a dealer, paid a deposit and that the dealer couldn't afford to pay the manufacturers and had no more credit left with their financiers. The manufacturers would not release the motorhome to the dealer until the dealer could arrange finance, and had in essence turned to the customer.

Imagine in a similar situation to that trying to reject a motor home

A night mare waiting to happen!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's always worth asking to look at the V5 of any vehicle (car, van, bike) you are interested in and contacting the previous owner. If the dealer refuses you have to ask why.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
this is why you should ALWAYS pay the deposit in excess of £100 by credit card.
that way if the trader goes tits up in the meantime, you are covered.............unless the CC company go under as well:Eeek:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Having read here that rejected vans may end up back on the forecourt as "demonstrators" I was talking to a neighbour today about their Italian MH they bought from a large dealer in the Midlands.

She was recounting just how many problems they'd had with it and the casual attitude of the dealer, they even got to the stage of consulting a barrister about rejecting it.

"Still" she said," it was quite a bargain, demonstrator I think they said. Used to drive it to MH shows" :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back